mud breeding

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

stancaris
Restricted Stakes Winner

mud breeding

Postby stancaris » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:27 pm

Today at Parx a horse won the 5th race over a muddy track by the name of Tidwell. Amazingly, he paid $42. Why was the price so amazing. He had the highest Tomlinson wet number (480) in the race. I think thats the highest you can get and he is by Bellamy Road out of a Mt. Livermore mare. Evidently, the above mentioned give him a 480 mud breeding number. I guess it might pay to look closely at any Bellamy road horses out of good mud broodmare sires in the future. They sure are bred for mud with those high Tomlinson wet numbers.

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Postby Shammy Davis » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:31 pm

Shammy Davis

Postby Shammy Davis » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:33 pm

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:40 pm

Long ago I had two horses, Classic Jewel and Wood Myth than ran through mud like it was a fun time for all. After reading this thread I did a little research of some of my old stock and these two were both out of mares by Northern Jove.

Shammy Davis

Postby Shammy Davis » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:10 pm

In five generations Northern Jove had multiple appearances of Mahmoud, Man O'War, and Teddy. He was a producer of good handicap horses. One that comes to mind is Jovial.

Admittedly, breeding for the off track is an intriguing subject. Wilf, jmo, but as NA breeding leans more to short sprint distances we'll not see many racehorses who take much joy in a muddy stretch to the winner's circle.

As I recall, Northfields also produced some good mudders, but I think his progeny ran more in the Euroland and the UK. I think Jovial was foaled in the UK also. Really hard to keep track of this subject. Time flies faster and memories move slower with age.

Man O'War produced a number of all-weather runners too. Charlottesville, Battleship, et al. Definitely where the In Reality connection comes from. I wonder whether the Euro owners and trainers give as much credence to the subject of mudders that we do. After all 75% of their weather is crappy.

I remember being in Europe in 1990 traveling by car into the newly free eastern countries. It was spring and the European winter had really been cold and wet and I've never seen so many western Europeans taking the new short cuts south and west then available to the Meditterean Sea for their sun and fun vacations. The drivers and passengers going south were as pale white fish meat and the ones coming back were bronzed as grilled steak. I'll bet Euro horsemen don't really think about whether a horse is a mudder or not. If a horse can't run in Euro slop, it probably will get very few starts.

Best wishes.

stancaris
Restricted Stakes Winner

muddy turf

Postby stancaris » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:43 am

There is no such thing as a muddy turf course. A horse that has a good mudder who was a good mudder and a good father who was also a good mudder may or may not be a good wet, soggy, turfer. Always bet on a mudder who had a good mudder for a mother and fodder who also comes from a good fodder who also was a good mudder.

Shammy Davis

Postby Shammy Davis » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:29 am

Point well taken. The Euros do run on dirt in certain venues.