Enter Your Derby Shopping List

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:54 pm

dublino wrote:TJ here is Veranzanno's work.

http://youtu.be/ba_lp_CiXfM

Time was good, his right hand side his action looks off.
His hind leg looks off?
A tight muscle, a bruised foot?
Something looks a miss.

Maybe he is just running within himself and he will prove himself to be the wonder horse you think he was all along.

I just never took to him....

Hi Dub,
Thanks Dub...I did see the work all ready. You're right about his right hind....he's had that same hitch behind in all his races. If you watch the rerun of his Tampa Bay Derby and the Wood Memorial you will see it as well....it's noticeable at the walk too. Normandy Invasion worked better than all of them today. The knock I'm hearing about is Govenor Charlie...looking forward to see him work, if he does? Orb will work Monday....that will be the next big one:>) In my opinion Verrazano's all ready proven himself to be an outstanding horse....my only concern is his ability to negotiate a mile and a quarter.....the same question we must ask about all these 3YO's. I've always thought, as you said...that he's been running well within himself so I have to go along with him once again. TJ

jagger
Grade III Winner

Derby picks

Postby jagger » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:41 pm

MyLute
Orb
Revolutionary

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Bill from WA » Wed May 01, 2013 3:36 pm

This Kentucky Derby is a tough one. I was primed to go for a big longshot (Black Onyx #1) until the post-position draw took place. I ended up with Revolutionary (#3). This PP is a good spot for the running/riding style of both horse and jockey. He has a great 10 furlong pedigree and should get up in time. Orb (another very good stamina pedigree) is a very close second and surely could take it all. I will throw Black Onyx into my exotics (and may even put a small saver win bet on him). He has a superb stamina pedigree. Verrazano got the best draw (PP 14 outside of the other speed), and may win on talent alone, although I don’t think the 10 furlongs suits him from a pedigree perspective. Palace Malice has a very good stamina pedigree as well as Lines of Battle and Java's War.

3-16-1-14
Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is like a broken winged bird that cannot fly.

Langston Hughes

jagger
Grade III Winner

Bill

Postby jagger » Wed May 01, 2013 4:33 pm

Thanks, Bill. Will bet accordingly.

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Bill from WA » Fri May 03, 2013 2:15 pm

Replacing Black Onyx with Lines of Battle.
Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is like a broken winged bird that cannot fly.

Langston Hughes

jagger
Grade III Winner

Derby Picks

Postby jagger » Fri May 03, 2013 6:08 pm

With today's results in the Oaks and being less emotional, I'm going to have to drop MyLute and replace him with Palace Malice. Sooooo

Revolutionary
Orb
Palace Malice

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat May 04, 2013 9:21 am

Verrazano
Orb
Revolutionary
Goldencents

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat May 04, 2013 10:01 am

It's pouring at CD....listed good but looks like it's sloppy. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat May 04, 2013 1:35 pm

TJ wrote:Verrazano
Orb
Revolutionary
Goldencents

The off track made me re-think this thing....almost always a bad idea:>) TJ

14-Verrazano...no mud works or races....but his 1/2 brother never lost when the track was off.
20-Vyjack...shows the best race over a sloppy track.
3-Revolutionary... received his best beyer winning by nine over a good track.
10-Palace Malice...ran well in the slop and gets blinkers....could help him focus.

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Sat May 04, 2013 2:52 pm

I know it is getting late but I am alive with a very nice pick 5 with 5 shots in the Derby. I have the 3, 6, 8, 14 and 16, my choice has always been Verrazano and I think the sloppy track will be an advantage for him and his natural speed. Orb looks to pay a decent price, just might be the best bet all day, but I think we have yet to see the best in Verrazano.

DDT

Whirlaway
Grade III Winner

Postby Whirlaway » Sat May 04, 2013 3:02 pm

" When modern sandy tracks are sloppy, the horses run every bit as rapidly as when the surface is dry. Many players proceed with their handicapping as if the track were fast. This is a mistake. It is a mistake because front running horses have an even better chance on a sloppy track (of the sandy sort) than on a fast track. The seem to hold their speed longer. Their come-from-behind rivals have more difficulty catching them.

It is agreed that the texture of a sloppy track favors the front-runner mainly because his position at the head of the stampede spares him the discomfort of having mud and slop kicked in his face. The horses behind him are obliged to run through a barrack of guck. Few of them appreciate it. It affects their spirit and saps their stamina. Many of them sulk or quit outright.

Therefore, when the handicapper's study shows that the best horse in the race is a front-runner, and that no other front-runner in the race has the speed to stay with him, the horse usually becomes a better bet on a sloppy track. If the horse's most formidable competitor is one that likes to come from off the pace but has done nothing in previous efforts on sloppy tracks, the front-runner becomes an ever better bet

Tom Ainslie - Ainslie's Complete Guide To Thoroughbred Racing

I'll stay with my play:

Verrazano
Goldencents
Vyjack
Itsmyluckyday
Orb

8/14 with12,16,20

Best of racin' luck!

Ahhh, the Kentucky Derby!
Restriction of free thought and free speech is the most dangerous of all subversions. - William O. Douglas
~
It is the characteristic of the most stringent censorships, that they give credibility to the opinions they attack. - Voltaire

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat May 04, 2013 3:40 pm

Congratulations to Shug and Orb....a great race and guess he loves the mud:>) TJ

Whirlaway
Grade III Winner

Postby Whirlaway » Sat May 04, 2013 3:49 pm

TJ wrote:Congratulations to Shug and Orb....a great race and guess he loves the mud:>) TJ

No doubt.

Congratulations to the Shug and the Claiborne group, they deserve this one - most outstanding ride - blistering pace. We'll see what he has for em' come the PREAKNESS!

Gotta' love the Game!
Restriction of free thought and free speech is the most dangerous of all subversions. - William O. Douglas

~

It is the characteristic of the most stringent censorships, that they give credibility to the opinions they attack. - Voltaire

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat May 04, 2013 3:51 pm

DDT wrote:I know it is getting late but I am alive with a very nice pick 5 with 5 shots in the Derby. I have the 3, 6, 8, 14 and 16, my choice has always been Verrazano and I think the sloppy track will be an advantage for him and his natural speed. Orb looks to pay a decent price, just might be the best bet all day, but I think we have yet to see the best in Verrazano.

DDT

Hi DDT,
Glad to see you hit the pick 5...TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat May 04, 2013 3:57 pm

Whirlaway wrote:
TJ wrote:Congratulations to Shug and Orb....a great race and guess he loves the mud:>) TJ

No doubt.

Congratulations to the Shug and the Claiborne group, they deserve this one - most outstanding ride - blistering pace. We'll see what he has for em' come the PREAKNESS!

Gotta' love the Game!

That wasn't Claiborne....it was Stuart Janney and the Phipps Stable. Claiborne will be represented in the Preakness with Departing. TJ