Enter Your Derby Shopping List

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:10 pm

Georgerz wrote:I like the Lukas exacta in the Rebel Stakes.

Hi George,
How ya doing....Rebel is over, what about your Derby thoughts....or is it you like those two back again in the Derby? TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:02 pm

Vyjack had a serious work this morning at Aqueduct. His pacesetter, the fast 18 race graded stakes winning gray gelding, Head Heart Hoof....took the early lead and Vyjack had to be urged a bit to pass him at the wire then galloped out under some urging...the official work was 5/8th in 59.07 breezing, galloped out 3/4's in 1:12.37 and pulled up 7/8ths in 1:27.84 seconds. His last 1/4 mile of the official 5/8ths move was a snappy 22.84! View this outstanding work below. TJ
http://bcove.me/k81v6mcd
Last edited by TJ on Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:42 am

TJ I watched that on you tube a few hours before you posted it.

He started behind his work mate came along side just jogged along side his workmate and then pulled slightly away at the finish line.

First glance watching it I wasn't impressed that he didn't pull away from his work mate, then I seen the time.

Time wise was impressive but he didn't look like he wanted to go away from the other horse, looked like he was happy to run with him, could be a worrying sign if he gets into a head to head battle.
Edited by Moderator

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:32 am

dublino wrote:TJ I watched that on you tube a few hours before you posted it.

He started behind his work mate came along side just jogged along side his workmate and then pulled slightly away at the finish line.

First glance watching it I wasn't impressed that he didn't pull away from his work mate, then I seen the time.

Time wise was impressive but he didn't look like he wanted to go away from the other horse, looked like he was happy to run with him, could be a worrying sign if he gets into a head to head battle.

Hi Dub,
I was actually surprised to see Vyjack pass Head Heart Hoof. He was working against a 7 YO, multiple stakes winner who is a fast, game, front running horse who sets much of the pace when he runs.....here are two of HHH's charts, in the second one he is defeated by a length to Comma To The Top....so he is a legitimate stake horse
http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbPDFC ... USA&race=8

... http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/pd ... 13USA9.pdf
This work was not that spectacular for Head Heart Hoof considering he is a sprinter who has good early speed. Vyjack on the other hand, came from dead last in his previous race...they wanted a strong work from Vyjack so they paired him up with this horse. Vyjack never was a great work horse, so I think the move was just what the Dr. ordered. Vyjack finished fast (22.84) and that was the only reason he got by the gray at the wire, but was well within himself...(you can see the stick tucked in the small of the boys back, so he was only breezing). The rider did have to urge him to go on past the wire, because most horses are looking to pull up there, especially since his work mate had finished his move. Once Vyjack realized he was still on the clock:>)...he galloped out strong around the turn (6 furlongs in 1:12.37) and if that was my horse, I'd be singing God Bless America all the way back to the barn:>) TJ

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:40 am

Yeah the time was great he did it with such ease I couldn't believe the time but the fact he ran head to head with him for so long just raised my eyebrows.

Again the time was great but it didn't sit well for some reason.
Edited by Moderator

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:03 am

dublino wrote:Yeah the time was great he did it with such ease I couldn't believe the time but the fact he ran head to head with him for so long just raised my eyebrows.

Again the time was great but it didn't sit well for some reason.

Hi Dub,
I won't try to change your mind...but:>)...the horse he worked against should nave been able to beat him easily. This wasn't a race....but a contrived work in company to put Vyjack under pressure and make sure he got something out of this most important Wood Memorial work. Had he worked faster it could have hurt his chances in the Wood and defeat the pupose of the work. Also the Gray horse was working for a starter handicap coming up Thurday. Neither horse needed to go any faster.....unless there was a big pot waiting at the finish line. I haven't seen a 59 work at Aqueduct at this time of year in some time...personally I thought it was too fast, but he did it so easily it tempered my concern. Anyway that work is in the tin...I'm anxiously awaiting to see if Verrazano gets out over the weekend at Palm Meadows....he's due tomorrow or Sunday to work? TJ

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:14 am

I agree it was an exceptional piece of work and a fantastic time.
Just wanted Vyjack to pass on by HHH he looked reluctant.

Will watch out for Verrazano and post a link if I see the workout.

It's all heating up now and Roses fever is kicking in.
Edited by Moderator

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:43 am

dublino wrote:I agree it was an exceptional piece of work and a fantastic time.

Hi Dub,
Thanks, I will try to catch the work too. I agree, Roses fever is heatin' up...fughet about it! Especially for us older, bingo playin' American's into horse racing....it's the most exciting time of the racing season:>)....TJ

Whirlaway
Grade III Winner

Postby Whirlaway » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:08 am

TJ wrote:

Hi Dub,
I was actually surprised to see Vyjack pass Head Heart Hoof. He was working against a 7 YO, multiple stakes winner who is a fast, game, front running horse who sets much of the pace when he runs.....here are two of HHH's charts, in the second one he is defeated by a length to Comma To The Top....so he is a legitimate stake horse

This work was not that spectacular for Head Heart Hoof considering he is a sprinter who has good early speed. Vyjack on the other hand, came from dead last in his previous race...they wanted a strong work from Vyjack so they paired him up with this horse. Vyjack never was a great work horse, so I think the move was just what the Dr. ordered. Vyjack finished fast (22.84) and that was the only reason he got by the gray at the wire, but was well within himself...(you can see the stick tucked in the small of the boys back, so he was only breezing). The rider did have to urge him to go on past the wire, because most horses are looking to pull up there, especially since his work mate had finished his move. Once Vyjack realized he was still on the clock:>)...he galloped out strong around the turn (6 furlongs in 1:12.37) and if that was my horse, I'd be singing God Bless America all the way back to the barn:>) TJ

I got a good laugh out of your last sentence there TJ. No doubt, I'd be singing too! Thanks for posting the link - nice to watch.

Textbook work. That 7fl in 1:27 and change means business - this guy here is a serious threat. What I found interesting is his size, he is a big horse. I'm no horseman but aren't geldings supposed to lack size when compared to non-geldings? This guy here has some size. And that long relaxed elastic stride. Boy when he hooks up with Verrazano, that is gonna' be a hoss' race :!:
Restriction of free thought and free speech is the most dangerous of all subversions. - William O. Douglas
~
It is the characteristic of the most stringent censorships, that they give credibility to the opinions they attack. - Voltaire

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Georgerz » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:37 am

TJ: Sorry I posted such an unclear statement: Yes, I like Luka's "Rebel Exacta" for the Derby. I really liked the big chestnut horse, and the other one has some upside to consider.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:05 am

Georgerz wrote:TJ: Sorry I posted such an unclear statement: Yes, I like Luka's "Rebel Exacta" for the Derby. I really liked the big chestnut horse, and the other one has some upside to consider.

Hi George,
No worries....I thought that was what you meant. I haven't seen Lukas so busy with 3YO's in a long time. Would be nice to see Jon Court get lucky. One of the nicest rider's in the business. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:09 am

Whirlaway wrote:
TJ wrote:

Hi Dub,

I got a good laugh out of your last sentence there TJ. No doubt, I'd be singing too! Thanks for posting the link - nice to watch.

Textbook work. That 7fl in 1:27 and change means business - this guy here is a serious threat. What I found interesting is his size, he is a big horse. I'm no horseman but aren't geldings supposed to lack size when compared to non-geldings? This guy here has some size. And that long relaxed elastic stride. Boy when he hooks up with Verrazano, that is gonna' be a hoss' race :!:

Hi Whirl,
That 7/8ths came as the horse was being slowly eased up after a strong 5/8ths move....he galloped out another 1/8th (6F) on his own courage and was then throttling down his final eight (7F). So if you liked that move....reminiscent of the 'Chief", just remember he wasn't asked for a serious 7/8ths.
The main reason a horse is gelded is because he is just too hard to handle. He can't seem to get past his testosterone driven ways....and has his mind on things other than racing. There are other reasons for gelding, some as simple as convenience in the barn, as well as to prevent lesser bred animals to enter the gene pool. I personally have never seen it adversely effect the size of a horse. Early on they did promote that as a possible adverse effect, but it was really never proven. They used to tell us to wait till at least 2YO to prevent this.....but today they believe it isn't an issue and will geld much younger if their breeder/owner/trainer desire it. For instance from a size standpoint, Forego, who was one of the biggest boys in horse racing (17 Hands)....was also one of the nastiest ever to come down the pike. He was gelded after running 4th in Secretariat's winning Derby performance. With his mind on the prize at the wire, he became quite a useful race horse....although he still remained pretty tough to be around even after gelding. Another who had a bad attitude was John Henry and Kelso....both very useful after they were made geldings and none were unusually small. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:18 am

dublino wrote:I agree it was an exceptional piece of work and a fantastic time.

Hi Dub,
I was starting to worry about Verrazano but he did work this AM at Palm Meadows. He worked an easy 1/2 mile (49.79), which is Pletcher's way to stretch their legs first time after a race and was within his 14-15 day time period after a race.....actually galloped out very good. A more serious move should be coming next weekend. TJ
PS. Normandy Invasion was out also, worked a bullet 5/8ths 1:00.22 breezing....he was very impressive considering Shanghai Bobby and Palace Malice worked 5/8th's in company (1:00.82). Have to update my top contender's now:>)

TJ
Darley line

Re: Enter Your Derby Shopping List

Postby TJ » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:24 pm

TJ wrote:Come on "guys", join in...enter your current Derby list of favorites, as many as you want and make changes anytime...or eliminate/change them weekly after each prep race, till Derby Day. At the end of it all, you should have your Derby superfecta left sitting here:>) Here's my long starter up list....subject to change daily:>) TJ
Verrazano
Vyjack
Departing (he will move way up my list if he wins the Louisiana Derby)
Orb
Uncaptured
Elnaawi
Palace Malice
Java's War
Flashback
West Hills Giant
Shaghai Bobby/Itsmayluckyday (Florida Derby will send them up or down)
(This space reservedfor Rebel Stakes winner:>)

After some of the works and results of the last couple weeks, It's time to make some changes....at least till next weeks fun and games....The Wood Memorial and Louisiana Derby, where I expect major contenders will be thoroughly tested. Here's my update. TJ
Verrazano
Vyjack
Palace Malice
Orb
Uncaptured
Normandy Invasion
Revolutionary
Elnaawi
Departing

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:04 pm

I guess I'll give up my dream on Shakin It Up.

Uncaptured
Rydilluc
Orb
Revolutionary
Itsmyluckyday
Vyjack (that work was impressive)

War Academy...still waiting.