Enter Your Derby Shopping List

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

Whirlaway
Grade III Winner

Postby Whirlaway » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:59 am

Shanghai Bobby
Vyjack
Verrazano

Interested in seein' what comes out of the Santa Anita Derby - can't count out the West best coast. That Wood Memorial should be memorial, it'll be interesting to see how Verrazano responds when Vyjack comes to him - do either of em' need the points to get in, or will they both be breezin' in that one? And the Florida, well . . . I'm thinkin Shanghai should get em'.
Restriction of free thought and free speech is the most dangerous of all subversions. - William O. Douglas
~
It is the characteristic of the most stringent censorships, that they give credibility to the opinions they attack. - Voltaire

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:47 pm

Whirlaway wrote:Shanghai Bobby
Vyjack
Verrazano

Interested in seein' what comes out of the Santa Anita Derby - can't count out the West best coast. That Wood Memorial should be memorial, it'll be interesting to see how Verrazano responds when Vyjack comes to him - do either of em' need the points to get in, or will they both be breezin' in that one? And the Florida, well . . . I'm thinkin Shanghai should get em'.

Hi Whirl,
They both (Ve &Vy) have 50 points and that should be enough points to get them in the Derby. Shanghai Bobby (24 points) has to run at least 2nd to assure a spot in the Derby starting gate. Don't forget, Secretariat was beaten in the Wood Memorial and after this years Wood, one or both of them (Ve & Vy) may no longer be undefeated....Normandy Invasion had the most impressive workout Saturday at Palm Meadows of all the good 3YO's who worked Saturday:>) TJ

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Bill from WA » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:11 am

War Academy
Orb
Vyjack
Palace Malice
Revolutionary
Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is like a broken winged bird that cannot fly.

Langston Hughes

Whirlaway
Grade III Winner

Postby Whirlaway » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:03 pm

TJ wrote:
Vyjack
Verrazano

Hi Whirl,
They both (Ve &Vy) have 50 points and that should be enough points to get them in the Derby. Shanghai Bobby (24 points) has to run at least 2nd to assure a spot in the Derby starting gate. Don't forget, Secretariat was beaten in the Wood Memorial and after this years Wood, one or both of them (Ve & Vy) may no longer be undefeated....Normandy Invasion had the most impressive workout Saturday at Palm Meadows of all the good 3YO's who worked Saturday:>) TJ

I don't see Shanghai havin' much trouble with that group in the Florida. I haven't seen the past performances or the entries for the Wood as of yet, but you've written Vyjack and Verrazano are both undefeated and fortunately, someone has to lose. I haven't followed Normandy Invasion much but saw he didn't do well in his last.

I haven't read anything regarding the injury you posted that Verrazano suffered in the Tampa, anything on that? What are your thoughts regarding the blistering workout posted by Vyjack in comparison to the natural ability of Verrazano? And what do you think about the ability of Vyjack and his seasoning when compared to Verrazano who did not race as a two-year-old? Will Verrazano melt when he comes eyeball to eyeball with that got my mind on my business gelding? I think the Wood is gonna be a hoss' race but I don't see either of em' spending all of their energy in that one considering the Derby is the eyes on the prize. However, I do think that because Verrazano did not race at two, he is gonna be meant to win to get additional experience. I'm thinkin' the Vyjack connections gotta be thinkin' lets just breeze him in this one . . .

Gettin' hot on the Derby Trail, lookin' forward to the Wood Memorial!
Restriction of free thought and free speech is the most dangerous of all subversions. - William O. Douglas

~

It is the characteristic of the most stringent censorships, that they give credibility to the opinions they attack. - Voltaire

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:16 pm

Whirlaway wrote:
TJ wrote:
Vyjack
Verrazano

Hi Whirl,

I don't see Shanghai havin' much trouble with that group in the Florida. I haven't seen the past performances or the entries for the Wood as of yet, but you've written Vyjack and Verrazano are both undefeated and fortunately, someone has to lose. I haven't followed Normandy Invasion much but saw he didn't do well in his last.

I haven't read anything regarding the injury you posted that Verrazano suffered in the Tampa, anything on that? What are your thoughts regarding the blistering workout posted by Vyjack in comparison to the natural ability of Verrazano? And what do you think about the ability of Vyjack and his seasoning when compared to Verrazano who did not race as a two-year-old? Will Verrazano melt when he comes eyeball to eyeball with that got my mind on my business gelding? I think the Wood is gonna be a hoss' race but I don't see either of em' spending all of their energy in that one considering the Derby is the eyes on the prize. However, I do think that because Verrazano did not race at two, he is gonna be meant to win to get additional experience. I'm thinkin' the Vyjack connections gotta be thinkin' lets just breeze him in this one . . .

Hi Whirl,
I wrote one or both of them (Ve or Vy) may no longer be undefeated after the Wood...not what you said I said. It is a horse race and they can both be beaten by anyone who is in the Wood.....certainly not a slam dunk for either horse, especially if a speed dual develops. One or both of them will be in trouble....although I believe Verrazano is the speed of the speed and Vyjack will be better off to attend the pace and not try to run head to head with Verrazano. There are some nice horses in the Wood. When you are running for the roses and you have preps along the way....most aren't in there to lose, they all want to win. The only way a horse won't do his best running, is if he's winning the race easily and they throttle him down some through the lane. Otherwise they are out for the win. Concerning Verrazano's injury....I did tell you it wasn't serious and it didn't slow him down in his training. On the other hand, Frac Daddy (who will be running against Shanghai in the Florida Derby) had the same injury (grabbed a quarter) in his prep race when he ran against Shanghai Bobby earlier in the meet and he had a much tougher time recovering as he took a chunk out of his quarter....Verrazano didn't...he grabbed it but not deep. Concerning the works....good horses work fast and both these horses are good ones. Both will be running 1 1/8th miles for the first time in their career. So this can make a difference and the pace of the race will be crucial in detemining the outcome. I've been impressed with Verrazano since the first time I saw him...I am probably going overboard with him....but there's just something about him that I can't dismiss as many wise handicapper's will be doing. He's going to have to prove to me he isn't what I think he is come the Wood. If he comes up empty...I'll drop him like a hot potato. This is a real nice group of 3YO's this season and we have a deeper bench this year than ever before....and there are plenty to choose from if one or both V's come up empty. This will be a great Derby. TJ

Whirlaway
Grade III Winner

Postby Whirlaway » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:36 am

TJ wrote:
Whirlaway wrote:
TJ wrote:
Vyjack
Verrazano

Hi Whirl,

Hi Whirl,
I wrote one or both of them (Ve or Vy) may no longer be undefeated after the Wood...not what you said I said. It is a horse race and they can both be beaten by anyone who is in the Wood.....certainly not a slam dunk for either horse, especially if a speed dual develops. One or both of them will be in trouble....although I believe Verrazano is the speed of the speed and Vyjack will be better off to attend the pace and not try to run head to head with Verrazano. There are some nice horses in the Wood. When you are running for the roses and you have preps along the way....most aren't in there to lose, they all want to win. The only way a horse won't do his best running, is if he's winning the race easily and they throttle him down some through the lane. Otherwise they are out for the win. Concerning Verrazano's injury....I did tell you it wasn't serious and it didn't slow him down in his training. On the other hand, Frac Daddy (who will be running against Shanghai in the Florida Derby) had the same injury (grabbed a quarter) in his prep race when he ran against Shanghai Bobby earlier in the meet and he had a much tougher time recovering as he took a chunk out of his quarter....Verrazano didn't...he grabbed it but not deep. Concerning the works....good horses work fast and both these horses are good ones. Both will be running 1 1/8th miles for the first time in their career. So this can make a difference and the pace of the race will be crucial in detemining the outcome. I've been impressed with Verrazano since the first time I saw him...I am probably going overboard with him....but there's just something about him that I can't dismiss as many wise handicapper's will be doing. He's going to have to prove to me he isn't what I think he is come the Wood. If he comes up empty...I'll drop him like a hot potato. This is a real nice group of 3YO's this season and we have a deeper bench this year than ever before....and there are plenty to choose from if one or both V's come up empty. This will be a great Derby. TJ

I haven't seen the entries for the Wood, but I have no doubt them two there, Vyjack and Verrazano are gonna be tough to beat. Lets say for example Verrazano gets the lead by five in hand at the top of the lane, opens up a few more . . . Vyjack clears the field, the jock on Vyjack looks back and figures he has everyone else beat, why would he force his hand and take to the crop if he doesn't have the time or distance to get to the leader? No doubt the leader will breeze on in, why not the horse that has cleared the field in the show position? Not a likely scenario, but maybe.

Good to read the injury Verrazano suffered in the Tampa was only minor, so there will be no excuses in the Wood, except for maybe he is shippin' in, the track surface and of course he'll be saddled with more weight - hope he doesn't have to run in the snow or the slop.

I don't know that I'd drop Verrazano like a hot potato. I think he has the most natural ability of this group, just green and lacks seasoning. If he had run at two, no doubt he would be drubbing this crop. Just hard to know how he'll react come clutch time. I think he'll be awfully tough to beat, particularly if he gets loose on t he front end - this horse is a beast, gotta remember he wired em' in the sand! And yes indeed, nice group this Derby Trail. It was a bit slow for me at first, but sure has been fun as of late, only complaint is the change in the past performances, don't particularly like the new.

I'll stay with my top three: Shanghai, Vyjack, Verrazano.

~

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:02 am

I have changed mine after the last 2 weeks:

Orb
Uncaptured
Rydilluc (looking forward to him)
Goldencents
Revolutionary
Black Onyx
Govenor Charlie

War Academy (I'm waiting on this guy)

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:18 pm

With three Saturday's and only four races in total preps remaining, the main contender to come to the head of the class during this time, may be War Academy. I hope they run him in the Arkasas Derby rather then in the Bluegrass over synthetic. Here's my updated list, surely to change by next week:>) TJ
Verrazano
Orb
War Academy
Goldencents
Revolutionary
Normandy Invasion
Oxbow
Will Take Charge
Vyjack
Uncaptured
Palace Malice....just saw he will take another shot in the Bluegrass

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Bill from WA » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:02 pm

Revolutionary
Orb
Java's War
Verrazano
Vyjack
Palace Malice
Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is like a broken winged bird that cannot fly.

Langston Hughes

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Bill from WA » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:47 am

Another change.

Revolutionary
Orb
Lines of Battle
Java's War
Verrazano
Vyjack

Langston Hughes

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Georgerz » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:53 am

My latest picks, in no particular order:
Revolutionary.
I'll Take Charge
Normandy Invasion
Goldencents

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:31 am

Just watched Verazzano gallop at Churchill on YouTube, didn't like his action.

How us he settling in TJ?
Any times of works?

Govenor Charlie looked good, I might add.
Edited by Moderator

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:18 pm

I like (in no order, I think?):

Orb
Black Onyx
Itsmyluckyday
Will Take Charge
Revolutionary

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:00 pm

dublino wrote:Just watched Verazzano gallop at Churchill on YouTube, didn't like his action.

How us he settling in TJ?
Any times of works?

Govenor Charlie looked good, I might add.

Hi Dub,
This is the real deal now...once we see these guys in training for the big show every move they make is telling. I saw what you said about Verrazano....and it did leave me with a bad taste in my mouth (crow:>). But, I'm guessing that was the morning the track was under water, right? He seemed to be very tentative over that going....so I will reserve my opinion till he comes out tomorrow morning (Saturday) for his final Derby work. All Pletcher's horses will most likely work Saturday...interested in seeing how Palace Malice does as he will work in Blinker's for the first time after galloping two morning with B's on. I've been hoping to see him in B's....I think it will help him? Saturday will be a very busy day for the Derby contestants as many who were going to breeze on Sunday have opted to breeze Saturday due to the threat of serious rain on Sunday. Orb will breeze on Monday. TJ

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:54 pm

TJ here is Veranzanno's work.

http://youtu.be/ba_lp_CiXfM

Time was good, his right hand side his action looks off.
His hind leg looks off?
A tight muscle, a bruised foot?
Something looks a miss.

Maybe he is just running within himself and he will prove himself to be the wonder horse you think he was all along.

I just never took to him....
Edited by Moderator