war academy

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

stancaris
Restricted Stakes Winner

war academy

Postby stancaris » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:16 pm

Here is a horse that is bred to the purple. He has Sec 4X4X5. He has AP Indy as his broodmare sire. He has Rambling Rose as his conduit mare and he raced 8.5 furlongs in a galloping win last out at Santa Anita while coming from behind and getting a 98 Beyer fig. Lightly raced but look out. If he wins the Ark Derby his next start will be for the roses. His sire, Giants Causeway is a Classic chef de race while his bms AP Indy is an I/C chef. He has dominant classicity. All systems go for this inbred to one of the greatest Derby and Preakness and Belmont winners of all time, the fabulous Secretariat.

TJ
Darley line

Re: war academy

Postby TJ » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:45 pm

stancaris wrote:Here is a horse that is bred to the purple. He has Sec 4X4X5. He has AP Indy as his broodmare sire. He has Rambling Rose as his conduit mare and he raced 8.5 furlongs in a galloping win last out at Santa Anita while coming from behind and getting a 98 Beyer fig. Lightly raced but look out. If he wins the Ark Derby his next start will be for the roses. His sire, Giants Causeway is a Classic chef de race while his bms AP Indy is an I/C chef. He has dominant classicity. All systems go for this inbred to one of the greatest Derby and Preakness and Belmont winners of all time, the fabulous Secretariat.

Hi Stan,
He could surely be a threat....what I liked more then his DC (and I like that:>), is his dam's RF to Gay Missile through 1/2 sibs, Lassie Dear and Gallanta. I like seeing Nureyev in his female family too. He could be Baffert's best shot, if he can get the needed points? Here's his last win, quite impressive and I also like seeing a horse run with his head carried low the way War Academy does. Not as if distance should be a question, but it does indicate distance running ability. Baffert hasn't indicated where he will go next....just said one of the 100 point races. Mike Smith was quoted as saying he thinks this is his Derby horse. TJ
http://www.drf.com/news/kentucky-derby- ... ar-academy

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Bill from WA » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:06 pm

I love this guys pedigree and running style. He has great stamina numbers, and is an improving horse that looks to be peaking at the right time (like Animal Kingdom). I sure hope he gets the points, because I think he's the winner if he gets in. I like the doubling of the conduit mare Rambling Rose on the dam's side. Lots of stamina there. Like tj said, he runs with his head low like the great Kincsem.

Bill
Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is like a broken winged bird that cannot fly.

Langston Hughes

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:39 am

Bill from WA wrote:I love this guys pedigree and running style. He has great stamina numbers, and is an improving horse that looks to be peaking at the right time (like Animal Kingdom). I sure hope he gets the points, because I think he's the winner if he gets in. I like the doubling of the conduit mare Rambling Rose on the dam's side. Lots of stamina there. Like tj said, he runs with his head low like the great Kincsem.

Bill

Hi Bill,
Interesting concerning your conduit mare Rambling Rose, there certainly isn't enough info on this mare in PQ. After I looked closer, I see Rambling Rose doubles up through the inbreeding of the Gay Missile line in War Academy's dam. Off War Academy's late start...I'm guessing we will see him race again either Saturday April 6th in the SA Derby or Wood Memorial or 4/13 in the Arkansas Derby? There's a lot to look forward to each Saturday between now and Derby day...certainly heating up and getting exciting. It would be great to see him take on Vyjack, Verrazano and Normandy Invasion in the Wood. He would get a big handicapping edge...back in the day, a horse that shipped to Aqueduct's main track, from Santa Anita was as close to a "lock" as you could get:>) It was a great move with a high win percentage. TJ

stancaris
Restricted Stakes Winner

RF ?

Postby stancaris » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:02 am

TJ: The RF factor must occur when the inbreeding is found top and bottom in the pedigree within 5 generations and when the inbred female is mated to different individuals. The half sisters you mentioned above are both found on the dam side and therefore this is not considered to be an RF. For example if Gay Missile was found on the dam side and also found on the sire side when mated to different individuals then we have an RF. However, when Gay Missile is found in two places on the dam side as in War Academy's pedigree it is not considered to be an RF

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Bill from WA » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:09 am

I posted the wrong information in a previous post. This is correct. I can only plead advancing age and memory lapses as a meager defense.
My apologies.

Bill

* RAMBLING ROSE
(1909)
By St. Amant
Family 3-l

Rambling Rose was bred in England by J.A. Dawson, and raced twice, unplaced, in the name of her trainer Felix Leach as a two-year-old. She was sent to stud in her third year.

There was nothing in her production record that would foreshadow the success that was to come in future generations, since she has no winners credited. Her dam, Barmaid, was unplaced in four starts as a two-year-old, and also had a dismal record as a broodmare. However, there seems to be some dormant excellence within the pedigrees of these matrons.

Rambling Rose’s sire, St. Amant, won the 2000 Guineas, and the Epsom Derby (run during a violent thunderstorm). Her Broodmare sire Galliard was also a winner of the 2000 Guineas, and both St. Amant and Galliard proved to be successful sires, but it took a few generations for the latent qualities imparted by these superior individuals to emerge.

Fast forward to the mare Uvira II, the great granddaughter of Rambling Rose, and that dormant excellence was suddenly activated. Uvira II (1938) by Umidwar, was bred by the H.H. Aga Khan, and only had one win in four starts, but that one win was in the Irish Oaks. Retired to stud, she produced, among others, the filly Missy Baba. Missy Baba was only a moderate success as a racehorse, winning one of seven starts, but became one of turfdoms great broodmares. The dam of 13 foals, 12 of which raced, and all 12 winning, she has left her indelible stamp on racing history. Through her sons Sauce Boat and Raja Baba, and her daughters, Toll Booth and Gay Missile, her influence is apparent in many of today’s best thoroughbreds, all carried forth from her Conduit mare, Rambling Rose.

Some of the outstanding performers descending through Rambling Rose are, A P Indy (Belmont Stakes, and Preakness), Lemon Drop Kid (Belmont Stakes), Summer Squall (Preakness Stakes), and the Broodmares of the Year, Weekend Surprise, and Toll Booth.
Last edited by Bill from WA on Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is like a broken winged bird that cannot fly.

Langston Hughes

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:54 pm

Bill from WA wrote:Hi tj

Rambling Rose was a multiple stakes winning sprinter. She has been a conduit for both speed and stamina (B/P). She was a precocious sort, winning 4 of 6 juvenile starts. She was slightly sickle hocked but successful on the track despite this affliction. She produced 7 foals, 6 winners.

Bill

Hi Bill,
Thank you for that information. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Re: RF ?

Postby TJ » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:18 pm

stancaris wrote:TJ: The RF factor must occur when the inbreeding is found top and bottom in the pedigree within 5 generations and when the inbred female is mated to different individuals. The half sisters you mentioned above are both found on the dam side and therefore this is not considered to be an RF. For example if Gay Missile was found on the dam side and also found on the sire side when mated to different individuals then we have an RF. However, when Gay Missile is found in two places on the dam side as in War Academy's pedigree it is not considered to be an RF

Hi Stan,
I am well aware of the Rasmussen Factor (and how it is created within a horses pedigree) and that War Academy does not possess the RF in his pedigree. Please re-read what I wrote below and you will realize you misinterpreted what I said. I was referring to War Academy's dam (Cabbage Key) who has the RF to Gay Missile through 1/2 siblings Lassie Dear and Gallanta showing in War Academy's pedigree. If you look at Cabbage Key's pedigree you will note she not only carries the aforementioned RF to Gay Missile, but she also carries a 2nd RF to Somethingroyal thru 1/2 siblings Secretariat and Sir Gaylord. A very interesting pedigree and seems she may be passing it on.....take a look at her pedigree below. TJ
http://www.pedigreequery.com/cabbage+key2

TJ wrote:
stancaris wrote:Here is a horse that is bred to the purple. He has Sec 4X4X5. He has AP Indy as his broodmare sire. He has Rambling Rose as his conduit mare and he raced 8.5 furlongs in a galloping win last out at Santa Anita while coming from behind and getting a 98 Beyer fig. Lightly raced but look out. If he wins the Ark Derby his next start will be for the roses. His sire, Giants Causeway is a Classic chef de race while his bms AP Indy is an I/C chef. He has dominant classicity. All systems go for this inbred to one of the greatest Derby and Preakness and Belmont winners of all time, the fabulous Secretariat.

Hi Stan,
He could surely be a threat....what I liked more then his DC (and I like that:>), is his dam's RF to Gay Missile through 1/2 sibs, Lassie Dear and Gallanta. I like seeing Nureyev in his female family too. He could be Baffert's best shot, if he can get the needed points? Here's his last win, quite impressive and I also like seeing a horse run with his head carried low the way War Academy does. Not as if distance should be a question, but it does indicate distance running ability. Baffert hasn't indicated where he will go next....just said one of the 100 point races. Mike Smith was quoted as saying he thinks this is his Derby horse. TJ
http://www.drf.com/news/kentucky-derby- ... ar-academy

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:21 am

What Graded stakes did War Academy win I am finding trouble locating a replay of this race?

Thanks!
Edited by Moderator

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:02 am

dublino wrote:What Graded stakes did War Academy win I am finding trouble locating a replay of this race?

Thanks!

Hi Dub,
War Academy still needs to win (it's possible 2nd may get him in....but will be close?) a Derby qualifying prep race in order to get in the Derby. He had a slow start getting ready this season and ran in a non Derby qualifying GR II stake after being more than 14 weeks away from the races. He needed the race and ran a mediocre 4th in the San Vicente going one turn. Two turns is his game...he came back less then a month later and won the race I posted above in response to Stan's original post. He is expected to run back in any one of the four 100 point qualifying race's scheduled to be run on 4/6 or 4/13. TJ

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:05 am

Thanks TJ, I see it was some claimer he won.

Will wait until he runs against a decent field to judge him.
Edited by Moderator

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:50 am

dublino wrote:Thanks TJ, I see it was some claimer he won.

Will wait until he runs against a decent field to judge him.

Hi Dub,
It was actually an allowance race....and the 2nd and third horses were both stakes placed....the 2nd horse (Manando) was 3rd in the GR III Sham Stakes to Goldencents and Den's Legacy while beating Dry Summer. They add optional claimer these days so you can risk running your horse in that race even though he may have all ready won that condition. In War Academy's allowance race (optional claiming), there were no horses entered for a tag.
As you said....his next race will tell the tale and I have a funny feeling he will prove himself. TJ