The Florida Derby

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:39 pm

Bill from WA wrote:Orb
Frac Daddy
Shanghai Bobby
Pontiff

Hi Bill,
Nice top pick, Bill. TJ

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:27 pm

Blah blah blah Champ me a$$.

Pedigree Pedigree Pedigree.

Storm Cat line early 2yr old horse fails again.

Same suckers fall for the hype.

Shock horror AP Indy line horses with stamina win a regional Oaks and Derby - stop the press.
Edited by Moderator

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:42 pm

And yes Orb, fantastic pedigree but looks, fragile, for the want of a better word.

Looks the type who will be better mentally as a 4yr old+.
Hope they don't over extend him.

When was the last time there were 3 good colts with Orb, Revolutionary & Lines of Battle pedigrees hot on the Roses trail?

And all 3 non RAN sireline.
Edited by Moderator

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:43 pm

dublino wrote:Blah blah blah Champ me a$$.

Pedigree Pedigree Pedigree.

Storm Cat line early 2yr old horse fails again.

Same suckers fall for the hype.

Shock horror AP Indy line horses with stamina win a regional Oaks and Derby - stop the press.

Hi Dub,
Easy lad/lassie....don't get to high on yourself yet...there's a long way to go yet:>) TJ

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:47 pm

Lad TJ I am a colt, still intact just about. :P

Long way to go but Shanghai was never gonna be there.
They should transfer Line of Battle to Pletcher co-owned by the Coolmore trio.
Edited by Moderator

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:52 pm

dublino wrote:And yes Orb, fantastic pedigree but looks, fragile, for the want of a better word.

Looks the type who will be better mentally as a 4yr old+.
Hope they don't over extend him.

When was the last time there were 3 good colts with Orb, Revolutionary & Lines of Battle pedigrees hot on the Roses trail?

And all 3 non RAN sireline.

Hi Dub,
Shug won't chase the Derby unless he's doing better than great. The win was OK...but not that impressive in my eyes. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:55 pm

dublino wrote:Lad TJ I am a colt, still intact just about. :P

Long way to go but Shanghai was never gonna be there.
They should transfer Line of Battle to Pletcher co-owned by the Coolmore trio.

Hi Lad:>)
I think the race played right into their hands...a long time ago Pletcher said he wasn't worried about making the Derby with him and that if he didn't get there he might try the Preakness. Switching out Line Of Battle for Shanghai would be perfect:>) TJ

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:18 pm

TJ wrote:Hi Dub,
Shug won't chase the Derby unless he's doing better than great. The win was OK...but not that impressive in my eyes. TJ

Yes horse is in good hands, excellent conditioner.

Agreed win was only OK, makes you wonder why so many other of the KY Derby pretenders avoided this race?
Will they regret it points wise????
Edited by Moderator

Whirlaway
Grade III Winner

Postby Whirlaway » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:58 pm

Congratulations to those who picked the winner in the Florida Derby, good piece of handicappin'.

~

Sad to see Shanghai didn't run his best race, no doubt he is better than he showed. We'll never know for certain why he didn't run his best, but I think maybe I've found a couple of clues in the book I recently finished reading, Thoroughbred Cycles by Mark Cramer, where he writes in the chapter Child Prodigies and Late Bloomers :

Perhaps the structure of today's racing game offers too many financial incentives for patrons to overextend their child prodigies. Perhaps too many individual trainers expect too much of their young talent and literally run it into the ground. Perhaps animals of such big bodies over such thin legs need a slower more delicate maturation period. There is too much evidence that premature racing in pressure situations causes a downward-spiral life cycle for racing's child prodigies. Surely each trainer of a two-year-old wonder will have his own unique explanation for the subsequent aborted stardom and decline. Whether these reasons or causes have to do with condition problems, loss of interest in racing, or more esoteric excuses, premature racing activity will often play a major role in catalyzing a quick decline for a would-be star.

In addition, in the chapter, Vacationers: Back to Work, Cramer writes:

The sequence of events, then, in the "bounce" cycle is: layoff - peak effort - underachievement - possible improvement. There is no guarantee of a win in the third race following the layoff; that remains a situation of potential pari-mutuiel value which must be analyzed on its own terms."

Difficult to know why Shanghai didn't fire, good to understand thoroughbred cycles play an important role in racetrack performance. I'll be payin' more attention to these cycles in the future and I'll be keepin' a keen eye out for Shanghai come the Preakness, maybe if he can get out front, get a good position and have a relaxed trip, he'll turn the tables on em'.

With Shanghai failing to fire in the Florida and his chances of making it into the Derby gate slim, I've got two bullets left in the gun, Vyjack and Verrazano. I wouldn't trade these two for any of em!

Once again, congratulations to those who picked the winner in the Florida Derby.

Nothin' like the Derby Trail!
Restriction of free thought and free speech is the most dangerous of all subversions. - William O. Douglas
~
It is the characteristic of the most stringent censorships, that they give credibility to the opinions they attack. - Voltaire

jagger
Grade III Winner

Bill

Postby jagger » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:10 pm

TJ wrote:
Bill from WA wrote:Orb
Frac Daddy
Shanghai Bobby
Pontiff

Hi Bill,
Nice top pick, Bill. TJ

I think Bill was 3 for 3 on Saturday....assuming he liked Animal Kingdom.....again! :)

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Bill from WA » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:30 am

Hi Jagger

I did "like" Animal Kingdom again. All-in-all I had a pretty good wagering weekend. Some big ones coming this next weekend. Hope my luck holds up.

Best to you.

Bill
Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is like a broken winged bird that cannot fly.

Langston Hughes

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:35 am

dublino wrote:
TJ wrote:Hi Dub,

Yes horse is in good hands, excellent conditioner.

Agreed win was only OK, makes you wonder why so many other of the KY Derby pretenders avoided this race?
Will they regret it points wise????

Hi Dub,
Shug's very happy with the way Orb came out of the Florida Derby and will run next in the Kentucky Derby. Plesa was equally pleased and will run back Itsmyluckyday in the Derby as well. TJ

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:39 am

Thanks TJ did you hear about Nornandy Invasions latest work for the Wood?
Edited by Moderator

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:32 am

dublino wrote:Thanks TJ did you hear about Nornandy Invasions latest work for the Wood?

Hi Dub,
Yes...he worked a sharp 1/2 mile at Palm Meadows (47.4). Verrazano worked a botched 5/8ths (1:01) in company the same day (Sunday). The horse he went with (Discreet Dancer) was supposed to go to the lead and open a couple....instead he sat and went head to head. JV had to back off and allow the other horse to open 1 on him....then came on to edge in front at the finish while galloping out 3/4's in 12 and change and pulling up 7/8ths in 1:27 and a bit. They will both share a plane to NY this Wednesday. TJ

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:48 am

Well what ya think of Normandy, I think there is a good race in him he has had bad "luck" in his last two races.
Edited by Moderator