The GR I Wood Memorial

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:59 pm

Horribly slow and messy race with Normandy Invasion gaining a ton of ground late Verranzano won't get 1m 2f in the KY Derby.
Edited by Moderator

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:46 pm

Bill

Nice call on the superfecta.

TJ

Don't let the final time fool you, he was very professional in this win and J.V. surely saved a lot of juice for the big dance. He will be hard to dismiss and will more than likely be a deserving favorite.

DDT

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:01 pm

DDT wrote:Bill

TJ

Don't let the final time fool you, he was very professional in this win and J.V. surely saved a lot of juice for the big dance. He will be hard to dismiss and will more than likely be a deserving favorite.

DDT

He didn't get one of the placing a right, what superfecta????

For guys normally obsessed by times and speed figures when it suits as usual they are meaningless.....

And with Pletchers record in the Derby equalling that of Renphers Stables yearly stats, there isn't a more unworthy favourite.
Edited by Moderator

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:17 pm

DDT wrote:Bill

TJ

DDT

Hi DDT,
The final time didn't fool me at all. JV never asked the horse for a steady run at any point in the race. He was busy riding all the competition behind him looking back and under his legs...doing just what he had to to get home in front. Not the best way to get a horse ready for the big dance? But it's over now and my biggest problem is I can't re-freeze the crow anymore....I'll have to buy some new crow for the Derby:>) TJ

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Bill from WA » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:34 pm

Verrazano looked very professional today. Deserves Derby favoritism.
Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is like a broken winged bird that cannot fly.

Langston Hughes

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:39 pm

Bill from WA wrote:
Bill from WA wrote:My final Wood picks.

1) Vyjack
2) Verrazano
3) Mr Palmer
4) Normandy Invasion.

Hi Bill,
Nice superfecta box:>) TJ

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Bill from WA » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:45 pm

Thanks TJ. It didn't pay much. I invested $48 and the ticket paid $137.
The Santa Anita Derby was a shocker for me. I didn't think the winner would take to the distance. Ran a super race. Good ride by Krigger.
Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is like a broken winged bird that cannot fly.

Langston Hughes

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:41 am

Bill from WA wrote:Thanks TJ. It didn't pay much. I invested $48 and the ticket paid $137.
The Santa Anita Derby was a shocker for me. I didn't think the winner would take to the distance. Ran a super race. Good ride by Krigger.

Hi Bill,
I picked the tri in order...but didn't use Mott's horse in the 4th spot for the super. I did use the 77-1 shot (Chrisandthecapper), who I thought would set the pace, but he tired to finish 6th. Mr Palmer, unfortunately won't have the points to get in the Derby unless he runs back within the next 1,2 or 3 weeks to gain additional points. I first thought this isn't Billy Mott's style? Then I saw he ran back Emollient to win the Ashland at Keeneland by 9, after being beaten by Dreaming of Julia in the Gulfstream Oaks by30 lengths 7 days earlier. TJ
Last edited by TJ on Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

ct2346
Starters Handicap

Postby ct2346 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:14 am

If you look at the Bay Shore and the Carter you may not believe it, but I think there was actually a bit of a speed and inside basis at Aqu yesterday.

This, along with the fact that he got a perfect setup is causing me to devalue Verrazano's performance just a bit. On the other hand, I thought Normandy Invasion had his shot, and despite struggling against a bias, could have done more.

They'll both run without my money.

I think Vyjack got ridden as if he was more worried about others' races than he was about the purity of his own. He can do better next time.

But going elsewhere for the Derby winner.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:16 am

dublino wrote:Horribly slow and messy race with Normandy Invasion gaining a ton of ground late Verranzano won't get 1m 2f in the KY Derby.

Hi Dub,
Come on, horribly slow and messy race just for Verrazano who won the race? What about Vyjack and Normandy who were trained to the minute to win this race? Verrazano wasn't nearly as well prepared. And what ton of ground are you talking about...Normandy was never more than 3 1/2 off the lead after a 1/2 mile of the race was run, so how did he make up a ton of ground when he couldn't make up 3 lengths to beat Verrazano? The only reason he got that close to Verrazano at the wire, was because JV didn't see him coming. JV knew he had Vyjack beat....just never saw Normandy coming. I wish he did....maybe JV would have gone to the stick on Verrazano. He's never been hit with the stick in any of his races...to me that's just crazy. What's JV gonna do, wait till he has to hit him in the Derby and the horse sulks, ducks in, out or shys from the stick?? TJ

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:29 am

TJ

You can lead them to water but you cannot make them drink. Dublino thinks the race was messy and slow when in fact it unfolded just like most Irish run races, slow pace and a little running at the end.

dublino

I guess I should have told Bill it was a nice superfecta BOX, I am sure most of the posters here knew what I meant. If the "messy" part was the start, I would agree, however, in my opinion JV did just what was needed to win and I would suggest you have some crow on hand on the 1st Saturday in May if you leave Verrazano off your Derby win tickets.

DDT

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:53 am

DDT wrote:TJ

You can lead them to water but you cannot make them drink. Dublino thinks the race was messy and slow when in fact it unfolded just like most Irish run races, slow pace and a little running at the end.

True except for 1 tiny small fact.
No Irish races are run on dirt on a small oval racetrack.

That was a farce of a race only the fav won everyone would have been up in arms over the running if he got beat.
Edited by Moderator

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:04 pm

dublino

We were discussing your comments about how the race was run not the surface or distance of the race and I do not see many people too upset with the manner in which it was accomplished.

DDT

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:06 pm

I agree and that's because Verazzano won.

If he hadn't have won then..........
Edited by Moderator

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:53 pm

dublino

Oh, I see, ifa, woulda, coulda, one of those situations. Everyone looks for excuses when they lose, and the jockey and trainer are the first targets, however your argument here is the race was messy, slow and not the best ride by the jockey but the horse won the race in spite of this circumstance. Makes a lot of sense to me.

DDT