The GR I Wood Memorial

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

The GR I Wood Memorial

Postby TJ » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:08 am

11th Race. (C12) Approx Post 6:28PM STAKES
THE WOOD MEMORIAL
Grade I - $1,000,000
Purse $1,000,000 (Up to $70,000 NYSBFOA) One Mile And One Furlong
FOR THREE YEAR OLDS.
1 Chrisandthecapper(L) Dk B/ Br.c.3 123 Lezcano, J Mr. Amore Stables Servis, Jason
2 Normandy Invasion(L) B.c.3 123 Castellano, J Fox Hill Farm Brown, Chad
3 Quinzieme Monarque(L1) Dk B/ Br.c.3 123 Ortiz, Jr., I O'Connor, J Albertrani, Thomas
4 Elnaawi(L) Dk B/ Br.c.3 123 Castro, E Shadwell Stable McLaughlin, Kiaran
5 Vyjack(L) B.g.3 123 Rosario, J Pick Six Racing Rodriguez, Rudy
6 Mr Palmer(L) B.c.3 123 Alvarado, J Lauffer, M Mott, William
7 Always in a Tiz(L) Dk B/ Br.c.3 123 Borel, C MeB Racing Stables LLC Schettino, Dominick Blk-On
8 Verrazano(L) B.c.3 123 Velazquez, J Let's Go Stable Pletcher, Todd
9 Go Get the Basil(L) Ch.c.3 123 Ortiz, J Esposito, J Violette, Jr., Richard
10 Freedom Child(L1) Ch.r.3 123 Trujillo, E West Point Thoroughbreds Albertrani, Thomas

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:22 pm

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:53 am

Vyjack remains undefeated on his homecourt

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:20 am

Verrazano gets his toughest assignment yet. If he didn't impressed me so much when I saw him run, I would be looking to beat him today. His outside post is a problem and there is enough speed in the race to force his hand early while attempting to run a mile and an eighth for the first time in his short career. Normally that would be enough for me to look elsewhere....but I believe Verrazano is a special horse and expect him to overcome his post and get the job done. Vyjack is another who is undefeated and actually a more proven runner at this point. What I don't like about him is, his trainer has been ivolved in a rash of positives of late and will be returning off a suspension in time to saddle Vyjack in the Wood. Normandy Invasion is in a do or die situation here and must run first or second to get a spot in the Derby, I believe he is the horse to beat. He is working better than any horse in the race and in the hands of Chad Brown a young and outstanding trainer who learned his trade from the late Bobby Frankel. A couple worth mentioning is Elnaawi and Always in a Tiz. An interesting longshot Chrisandthecapper, trained by Jason Servis (who is the older brother of John Servis, trainer of Smarty Jones) may take right to the lead from his ground saving rail position and pay telephone numbers. This will be a real horse race and the winner will likely be the Derby favorite. TJ

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Bill from WA » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:24 pm

My final Wood picks.

1) Vyjack
2) Verrazano
3) Mr Palmer
4) Normandy Invasion.

I think Quinzieme Monarque will improve, but it looks like he's a cut below the top four talent wise. I may put $10 on him just for the heck of it (I like his pedigree).
Good luck to all.

Bill
Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is like a broken winged bird that cannot fly.

Langston Hughes

stancaris
Restricted Stakes Winner

verrazano

Postby stancaris » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:10 pm

Bill: I was talking to a friend who uses Phalaris versus Nonphalaris line stallions as a factor for the Derby and he says that Verrazano's pedigree is such that the 15 stallions in his first four generations are all Phalaris line stallions which is a negative. The only Derby winner with such a pedigree is Super Saver.

What are your thoughts on this idea? Is it really a negative if only one Derby winner ever carried such a pattern?

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:46 pm

Stan

Vyjack also has the 15 Phalaris line stallions in his first 4 generations. When you say there has only been one winner with this pattern, how many entries qualified over the time span involved? Enough time has elapsed that we will probably see many more horses with this type of pattern.

TJ

I predict no crow eating tomorrow, Verrazano is the real deal.

DDT

stancaris
Restricted Stakes Winner

Vyjack

Postby stancaris » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:37 am

DDT:
Your statement about Vyjack is incorrect. He carries 3 Nonphalaris stallions within his first 4 generations. They are Apalachee, Double Zeus, and Round Table.

I looked over the top contenders for this years Derby and found only 3 that had 15 Nonphalaris stallions within their first 4 generations

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:08 am

DDT wrote:Stan

Vyjack also has the 15 Phalaris line stallions in his first 4 generations. When you say there has only been one winner with this pattern, how many entries qualified over the time span involved? Enough time has elapsed that we will probably see many more horses with this type of pattern.

TJ

I predict no crow eating tomorrow, Verrazano is the real deal.

DDT

Hi DDT,
I hope you're right about the crow.....but I do have it defrosting as we speak and it's pretty good baked in a pie:>) Truth is under any other circumstances I would be looking to beat him today....but I've been impressed with him because of the way he's won his races and his physical presence. Although there are more negatives than just his post position and sharper speed he meets in the field today. I've been around long enough to know he's at a disadvantage to win the Derby, since he's never won as a two year old....and because of that he's playing catch up today and that never is a good place to be. Everything has to work out to the minute when playing catch up....and in Verrazano's case his last work just wasn't what the doctor ordered. His workmate didn't follow instructions and did not open up early on Verrazano. So JV had to slow down Verrazano till his workmate got in front by a mere length. That's not the way to work a horse....then he did pass him at the finish and galloped out strong....but was it enough to get him home while he attempts to go 1 1/8th miles for the first time in his career?? I will be watching the 10th race to get a bit of a clue as his workmate that day is running in the Carter (Discreet Dancer). If he wins that will be a good thing....but he only had to be fit enough to go 7/8ths....so it may not mean much? In any case it will all be over soon and we will have these questions answered (where they all have been answered many times before), on the racetrack. Yet if he gets beat and runs well today....that will be good enough for me to stick with him in the Derby knowing he isn't as tight as he should be today. Concerning his breeding, the breeding in his dams bottom line goes back to one of the most important imports the King Ranch ever brought to America...Monade, champion filly in England and France. Monade is a reines-de-course mare and she was a great race horse...winning the Prix des Foales, Epsom Oaks, Prix Penelope, Prix Vermeille, Prix de Pomone, La Coupe de Maisons-Laffitte and Prix de Paques. She also ran second in the Prix Yacowlef, Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe, Prix d’Ispahan, Prix Jacques Le Marois and Prix Ganay and third in the Prix Herod, Prix Jacques Le Marois and Prix Messidor. I'm hoping his broodmare's King Ranch bloodlines (Monade and Remedia) and his Turn To sire line (Barbaro) will carry him this new race distance while not being fully tight. TJ
Last edited by TJ on Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

siegy
Allowance Winner

Re: verrazano

Postby siegy » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:11 am

stancaris wrote:Bill: I was talking to a friend who uses Phalaris versus Nonphalaris line stallions as a factor for the Derby and he says that Verrazano's pedigree is such that the 15 stallions in his first four generations are all Phalaris line stallions which is a negative. The only Derby winner with such a pedigree is Super Saver.

What are your thoughts on this idea? Is it really a negative if only one Derby winner ever carried such a pattern?

Hi Stan,

Check: new study on chromosome........,

Good luck in the derby,

Siegy,
Flora is beginning of biology, chemistry is master.

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Bill from WA » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:04 am

Hi Stan

Interesting stuff re: the Phalaris/non Phalaris influences. As you know, the crux of my research involves female lines, and their aptitudinal applications. I'm afraid I don't have enough information to formulate a valid opinion on sireline influences. It's certainly something that I will investigate.
Best to you.

Bill
Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is like a broken winged bird that cannot fly.

Langston Hughes

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:12 am

Stan

My bad, I must have been asleep when I looked at the pedigree, sorry about that.

DDT

aethervox
Allowance Winner

Postby aethervox » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:48 am

I think Verrazano is a good horse, but his heart is normal sized, so I don't think he'll make the Derby distance. See the report linked in this article:
http://performancegenetics.com/2013/02/02/verrazano-on-the-kentucky-derby-trail/

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:12 pm

Discreet Dancer looked like he was dancing in concrete boots.

Hopefully not a sign of things to come for you TJ.

Come on Normandy get a bit of "luck" today.
Edited by Moderator

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:40 pm

dublino wrote:Discreet Dancer looked like he was dancing in concrete boots.

Hopefully not a sign of things to come for you TJ.

Come on Normandy get a bit of "luck" today.

Hi Dub,
It just made what I thought about the last work meaningful. Verrazano got the job done and he wasn't near 100%. JV rode every horse in the race but his own....looked back at his competition more than riding his horse. He came back to win after Vyjack tried him on a second wind....that's because he wasn't as fit as he should have been. He will move forward physically out of this race. TJ