The GR I Wood Memorial

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:30 am

My argument is that what did this tell us about Veranzanno?
He hasn't had a race before the Wood because he was superior to his bad opposition, then this farce of a race.

Is he battle hardened enough to win the Derby?
How will he react when the pressure comes?
Even TJ poses the same question?

Add in Pletchers Derby stats, the fact he didn't race at 2 etc etc too many questions for a short priced Derby favourite to be facing for my liking.
Edited by Moderator

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:36 am

dublino

You are certainly entitled to your opinion as to those questions and now with JV injured we may also have to deal with a new jockey. I think the race demonstrated that Verrazano does not need the lead and can turn it on when asked, you can't ask for much more when going a mile and a quarter. I have stocked up on my crow in order to be ready on May 4. Good luck with what ever you wager on.

DDT

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:37 pm

dublino wrote:My argument is that what did this tell us about Veranzanno?
He hasn't had a race before the Wood because he was superior to his bad opposition, then this farce of a race.

Is he battle hardened enough to win the Derby?
How will he react when the pressure comes?
Even TJ poses the same question?

Add in Pletchers Derby stats, the fact he didn't race at 2 etc etc too many questions for a short priced Derby favourite to be facing for my liking.

Hi Dub,
I really can't agree that the Wood was a farce of a race...two really nice horses, one the previously unbeaten (Vyjack) and the other a real good 3YO (Normandy Invasion) trained to the minute by Chad Brown and both in my opinion real Derby threats. Though I have expressed my concerns all along with Verrazano....he has overcome every concern I've had with him in each race he ran. I truly believe he could have had a better campaign in getting where he is now. This is a young and fairly inexperienced 3YO who has done everything asked of him in his short career. He had to ship to three different racetracks in his four race career and never let it concern, upset or beat him. I can tell you it concerned me:>) But when I saw him at Aqueduct with the cool wind blowing in his face, as he confidently surveyed the racetrack while JV had him "standing in" behind the gate....It dawned on me that this horse isn't upset or bothered by anything that comes his way. He looked around like he owned the place and he had that same aura about him that I noticed the first time I laid my eyes on him.....a confidence and attitude I've seen only in the very best horses. He has a way of overcoming everything his human connections put in his way. I agree the time of the Wood left something to be desired...but I believe he did only what he was asked to do, considering the way JV rode him. That horse should have been asked to run to the wire....not be measured to the wire, as JV did while thinking he only had Vyjack to outrun to win. Later, JV admitted he never saw Normandy coming to him on the outside and he just got lucky....I wish he was beaten, so the rider would stop riding him with such unaggressive arrogance. In my eyes, what I've seen him do in the Tampa Bay Derby and The Wood Memorial is enough to afford me the confidence he will move forward in the Derby and nothing that happens in a race will upset this horse. The Derby will be a very good race and in my opinion one of the best groups of 3YO's to come down the trail in some time. I find it hard to knock a horse who does what he's asked every time he runs. There was a point in the Wood (when they set down Vyjack to go after Verrazano at the final turn) Verrazano looked like he was going to open up daylight and win by himself....but JV put the brakes on him after asking him for that fast turn of foot...why he did that, I don't know. I believe he should have continued on with that move and hit him with the stick a couple times and run hard to the wire so he will be a fitter horse then he was going into the Wood. That being said...I believe Verrazano will handle the Derby distance and if he gets beat. it will because another horse is just better than he is. I've yet to see who that horse could be, but anxiously await War Academy's Derby prep....hopefully in the Arkansas Derby. TJ

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:31 am

Totally agree that these are by far the best 3yr old crop of the past few years and potentially breed shaping stallions (we will know more come Breeders Cup time who has bagged the G1's)

Interesting summer we have ahead of us.
Edited by Moderator