Belmont Stakes Probables and Possibles

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:08 am

dublino wrote:Remember what you said TJ "Note to self those Malibu Moons like the slop"

Hi Dub,
And we have two....Orb and Freedom Child. TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:26 am

Has this long campaign done a number on Orb? I think he's the class. I also don't know how this race sets up for him.

I like Freedom Child, and if the heavens open up, he moves up.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:41 am

Cree wrote:Has this long campaign done a number on Orb? I think he's the class. I also don't know how this race sets up for him.

I like Freedom Child, and if the heavens open up, he moves up.

Hi Cree,
Something caused Orb's poor performance in the Preakness and winning 5 races in a row and topping that streak off with his big Derby win, could be the reason why? He only had 2 weeks between the Derby and Preakness and still worked a fast 1/2 mile in between....that too may have taken something more out of him. He's now had 3 weeks rest and breezed only once since the Preakness...a slow 1/2 mile in 48 and change. I'm sure Shug realized his tough campaign had something to do with his poor performance and it's probably why Orb only worked once in 5 weeks. It seems both possible reasons for his poor Preakness performance (other than a physical problem) have been addressed. If it rains, the two Malibu Moon's will certainly relish the going. It appears Vyjack won't complain if the track is off either....he worked a strong 5/8ths this morning over the Belmont main track labeled "good". The race appears to have plenty speed....but the riders will be the ones who decide who will make the pace. Truth is anyone can go to the lead going a mile and a half...so strategy plays a big role. Orbs style of running will have him close simply because the fractions will be slow....Shug expects him to be laying off the first group of speed horses and if they weaken he'll be in a very good position to take advantage of it. TJ
Last edited by TJ on Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:26 am

Just a little correction, it is a 3 week break between the Preakness and Belmont.

:D

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:24 pm

Cree wrote:Just a little correction, it is a 3 week break between the Preakness and Belmont.

:D

Hi Cree,
Thanks for the correction...I don't have a lot of weeks left to waste...I will fix the error:>) TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:28 pm

Always in a Tiz will pass the Belmont to run in the Easy Goer. The good news is, with 14 in the field, they will need only one starting gate. TJ

wgc517
Allowance Winner

Postby wgc517 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:05 am

The weather is suppose to be cloudy all day on Saturday with a small chance of rain 10%. The rain is suppose to stop tonight. If that all holds true can they get the track to Fast or do you think it will good or worse?

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:26 pm

wgc517 wrote:The weather is suppose to be cloudy all day on Saturday with a small chance of rain 10%. The rain is suppose to stop tonight. If that all holds true can they get the track to Fast or do you think it will good or worse?

Hi wgc,
They will be getting the remnants of tropical storm Andrea all day Friday into early Saturday morning and expect 2 1/2 inches of rain. The forecast still calls for 40% chance of rain on and off most of the day Saturday. If they close the main track to training in the morning and work it, they may be able to dry it out provided the rain cooperates Saturday. It's also up to the wind and how much sun is breaking through the clouds whether it will be upgraded to "good" by the 1st race? Here's what NYRA has to say about it. TJ

http://www.drf.com/news/belmont-stakes- ... n-saturday

wgc517
Allowance Winner

Postby wgc517 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:58 am

TJ,

Curious who you are going with today. There are so many ways to go and some good long shots that could win.

I like Vyjack but am concerned about his last performance. After reading the article on Big Brown posted today and seeing that his trainer was associated with Big Brown's I have concerns. Maybe he had to be weaned off certain items before the derby and that cost him but will he get back up for this race.

I also like Freedom Child (carrying and extra 10 lbs) Icognito (carrying more weight) and Golden Soul.

Too many to like and not enough to throw out.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:18 am

wgc517 wrote:TJ,

Curious who you are going with today. There are so many ways to go and some good long shots that could win.

I like Vyjack but am concerned about his last performance. After reading the article on Big Brown posted today and seeing that his trainer was associated with Big Brown's I have concerns. Maybe he had to be weaned off certain items before the derby and that cost him but will he get back up for this race.

I also like Freedom Child (carrying and extra 10 lbs) Icognito (carrying more weight) and Golden Soul.

Too many to like and not enough to throw out.

Hi wgc,
It's a tough race and the changing track conditions won't help...currently listed muddy but seems to be drying out? I posted my picks in the other thread "official entries". They were Orb, Freedom Child, Palace Malice, Will Take Charge and a tumble to the filly Unlimited Budget. TJ

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Bill from WA » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:50 pm

Well, I'm a happy camper.
Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is like a broken winged bird that cannot fly.

Langston Hughes

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:36 am

Congrats Bill, Mike Smith had a lot to do with it, the jockey on Orb is a clown and Revolutionary didn't get the best of rides.

What does it say about G Stevens is he the best ever or just shows up the lack of talent in the jockeys room.

Fernando Jarra
Raphael Bejarano
and you can soon add Joel Rosario

These lads come along win a few races and fall by the way side.
Edited by Moderator

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Bill from WA » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:11 pm

I agree Dub, Mike gave this horse the best ride he could have in the situation he faced. The race unfolded just as I had hoped, and Mike was able to settle Palace Malice into stride, and he rated just fine this time (but you never know for sure).

Bill
Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is like a broken winged bird that cannot fly.

Langston Hughes