Fountain of Youth GR II

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:51 am

I absolutely agree. I think the top two ran good races, eyeballing each other, but Top Billing ran a just as good race considering what got thrown at him. I think he's the real deal.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:02 pm

Cree wrote:I absolutely agree. I think the top two ran good races, eyeballing each other, but Top Billing ran a just as good race considering what got thrown at him. I think he's the real deal.

Hi Cree,
He's a nice horse to be sure. The Florida Derby will tell the tale....especially since we will have a couple other nice horses that will enter and dispute the pace...namely Cairo Prince. Yet we still have an inside speed bias at the 1 1/8th mile distance...only the good ones can win the Florida Derby from that outside post that have speed....like Barbaro and Big Brown. If they can overcome that bias, they are serious race horses. I think General A Rod will be able to get the 1 1/8th miles of the Florida Derby. Though Top Billing will be tough to handle, even if he gets a bad post because of the extra 1/16th. I'll stick with Honor Code, unless he runs a bad one in the Rebel Stakes, in which case I doubt Shug will go for the roses with him....and I'll jump right on the Top Billing bandwagon:>) TJ

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Bill from WA » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:39 pm

Hi TJ

I agree with your assessment. He's still my Derby horse (if he gets the points).

Bill
Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is like a broken winged bird that cannot fly.

Langston Hughes

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:06 am

Bill from WA wrote:Hi TJ

I agree with your assessment. He's still my Derby horse (if he gets the points).

Bill

Hi Bill,
Looking forward to the Florida Derby...I think the race will set up perfectly for Top Billing. General A Rod has not committed to the Florida Derby as yet....but Wildcat Red and Cairo Prince have and will most likely find themselves in a speed dual which could leave both weary at the wire. That extra 1/16th should be all Top Billing needs to pick up the 100 points to guarantee his spot in the Derby.
This Wednesday Honor Code should breeze (if all is well with him). He's playing catch up at this point and will need a decent work in order to be ready for the Rebel Stakes. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:01 pm

Honor Code may have taken himself out of contention for the Derby with a poor work today at GP? He has time for a couple more works, but just don't see if he will be fit enough to win the Rebel Stakes? TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:22 pm

It really is a shame if he doesn't make it to the Derby, I think he really is THE horse of this crop. That being said, the workout said it was an "easy" half and 5/8, is it possible they wanted him to work slow?

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:13 pm

Cree wrote:It really is a shame if he doesn't make it to the Derby, I think he really is THE horse of this crop. That being said, the workout said it was an "easy" half and 5/8, is it possible they wanted him to work slow?

Hi Cree,
I agree....he's too good a horse not to run in the Derby. He has time to put two more works into him and he may be looking to use the Rebel as a workout, then send him to NY for the Wood to get Derby points? That's the only reason I can think of for his last two maintenance type workouts? He may not want to crank him up 100% because the Derby is his main objective? Either that or he may still be working through his previous problems behind? Guess next week should tell the tale. TJ