The GR I Florida Derby

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

The GR I Florida Derby

Postby TJ » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:49 pm

Very interesting race...lots of speed and the speed drew well. Jockey's playing musical chairs as Saez is off Wildcat Red and on the favorite Cairo Prince, Rosario bumps Castellano and returns to General A Rod and Castellano hops on Constitution (a well regarded Pletcher, WinStar Farm trainee). Past Performance's below. TJ

14th Race. (C13) Post 6:48PM The 66th Running of The Besilu Florida Derby (Grade I)
Purse $1,000,000 Guaranteed 1 1/8 Miles FOR THREE YEAR OLDS.

1 WILDCAT RED (L) '11 C 122 Velazquez, J Honors Stable Corp. Garoffalo, J
2 MATADOR (L) '11 C 122 Leparoux, J Oxley, J Casse, M
3 CAIRO PRINCE (L) '11 C 122 Saez, L Godolphin Racing LLC, Murray, T., Braverman, P., Clarke, H. et al. McLaughlin, K
4 CONSTITUTION (L) '11 C 122 Castellano, J Twin Creeks Racing Stables, LLC and WinStar Farm, LLC Pletcher, T
5 EAST HALL (L) '11 G 122 Leyva, J Hendricks, H. Jack. and Justice, Roger Kaplan, W
6 GENERAL A ROD (L) '11 C 122 Rosario, J Rodriguez, J Maker, M
7 ALLSTAR (L) '11 C 122 Bocachica, O Crossed Sabres Farm Vitali, M
8 SPOT (L) '11 G 122 Lanerie, C Moss, J Zito, N
Blinkers On: Matador
http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_viewe ... m3=2001916

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:36 pm

It's hard to know if that 2 months off will have Cairo Prince ready. My head says Cairo Prince.

This will make three straight for General A Rod against Wildcat Red. If they are going to be winging on the front again, I'm not sure if those two can run that many intense races against each other (plus Wildcat Red had the Hutcheson in between his last two against A Rod). Throw Constitution in the mix.

My heart says Spot. He's lightly raced, and should settle far back and make his run. Of course, that all depends on what kind of mood Gulfstream is in! I can also see Matador the slug getting a piece.

Cairo Prince
Spot
General A Rod/Matador

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:53 am

Cairo Prince
Wildcat Red
Constitution
General A Rod

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Bill from WA » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:09 am

Hi Cree

I too like Spot (kiss of death). He's bred to go long, and Zito should have him ready. I think he'll be in a tracking position here, and he should be able to make a late run.

Bill
Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is like a broken winged bird that cannot fly.

Langston Hughes

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:40 am

They ran two 1 1/8th mile Stake races so far today and the outside posts finished 1-2 in both of them. GP track may be playing a bit different today? TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:00 pm

The well regarded Constitution slipped through inside the very game Wildcat Red (the Rodney Dangerfield of horse racing)....General A Rod further back in 3rd in front of the favored Cairo Prince a troubled 4th. TJ

Constitution
Wildcat Red
General A Rod
Cairo Prince
Last edited by TJ on Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:21 pm

Well, shoot. Thought Cairo Prince would do better than that. He looked flat. Maybe not going to make the Derby by points? Or if he does get in, is going farther going to help him?
Not to take anything away from the winner, but I think he's a little crazy, and I can't see him winning the Derby.

Wildcat Red ran hard, same thing though, I can't see him getting 10F.

??? I guess I'm looking forward to the SA Derby and Wood after today.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:43 pm

Cree wrote:Well, shoot. Thought Cairo Prince would do better than that. He looked flat. Maybe not going to make the Derby by points? Or if he does get in, is going farther going to help him?
Not to take anything away from the winner, but I think he's a little crazy, and I can't see him winning the Derby.

Wildcat Red ran hard, same thing though, I can't see him getting 10F.

??? I guess I'm looking forward to the SA Derby and Wood after today.

Hi Cree,
If the winner had a race at 2, he'd be my Derby horse....but I'm not bucking that trend ever again. No horse since Apollo in 1882 has won the Derby without having raced at age two.
Cairo had a bad trip...but now the question is...as you said, will he make the Derby with the 19 points he has after he had to split the 10 points for 4th when he dead heated? My Bad Cree....I thought they dead heated but that was the pick 5 bet....so he should have enough with the 24 points he has now? TJ

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Georgerz » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:23 pm

Costitution is a very good looking horse, he may break the curse.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:18 pm

He was pretty interesting to watch before the race. Seems like a bit of a headcase.
I won't bet the farm on him, with his behaviour today I wonder if he can handle a Derby Day crowd? Also, like TJ said there is the Apollo curse. How much foundation does this colt have under him? And, I really don't have any faith in Pletcher at the Derby.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:47 pm

Here's the replay. Constitution received a 99 beyer for his effort. TJ
http://www1.drf.com/displayVideo.do?tra ... ountry=USA