UAE Derby

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

UAE Derby

Postby TJ » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:27 am

Kentucky bred, Toast of New York easily won the UAE Derby over the Tapeta surface at the "about" distance of 1 3/16ths miles making him a Derby possibility. Story and video link to the race in the below link. TJ
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... rby-winner

Toast of New York (KY)
Asmar (IRE)
Emirates Flyer (GB)
Giovanni Boldini (WV)

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:24 am

I have a hard time thinking this horse will make an impact in the Derby, besides history being against him, I also don't really think that was an impressive race.

That being said, this is one weird year, and stranger things can happen.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:46 am

Cree wrote:I have a hard time thinking this horse will make an impact in the Derby, besides history being against him, I also don't really think that was an impressive race.

I guess we can call that the Saudi curse as opposed to the curse of Apollo:>) and I agree. The horse he beat, Giovanni Boldini was a very impressive 2nd in last seasons BC Juvy Turf.....key word Turf. Unfortunately the race is run over a tapeta surface. One that may be changed to dirt before next season at Meydan, so these horses can have an apples to apples Derby prep. The other reason they are considering switching to dirt is to draw more American attention to their races. Funny when you think about it, we went with synthetic in trying to bring more Euro horses to American racing. I wish Keeneland and Turfway would wise up and do that same thing. Derby preps should be run over the dirt until CD puts down a synthetic course:>) TJ

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:24 am

It was a most impressive performance the highest rated yet of any of the Derby preps.
Solid form by the beaten horses in behind.

Toast of New York is by a Kingmambo sired stallion thewayyouare from the family of top quality Dirt horses.
If they travel he's a contender.
Edited by Moderator

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:28 am

I think you are pulling my leg, since you have a record of disagreeing with people on here.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:19 am

dublino wrote:It was a most impressive performance the highest rated yet of any of the Derby preps.
Solid form by the beaten horses in behind.

Toast of New York is by a Kingmambo sired stallion thewayyouare from the family of top quality Dirt horses.
If they travel he's a contender.

Hi Dub,
I take nothing away from Toast of New York's performance....I thought he was impressive and he beat a very nice horse in Giovanni Boldini. Yet they are at a disadvantage prepping over a tapeta or synthetic surface then trying to go 1 1/4 miles on dirt in the KY. Derby. Not just overseas but here in America as well. Example being We Miss Artie, a very nice horse who's Derby prep and best races have been over synthetic and turf.
I do like his pedigree and think he would be the most capable of the 3YO's in the Derby picture to get the 1 1/4 miles. The fact he's bred here is a plus. If that prep race was run on a dirt course he would be a serious contender. Though all his strong bloodlines have basically been turf....like Kingmambo who was brought back to this country for stud duty.....who is a definite stamina and turf influence. His sire Thewayyouare owned by Coolmore, was a 1/2 brother to Peeping Fawn who was a 3YO champion in Ireland and England, both turf only. Though his dams sire, Syncline, won on both dirt and turf (although his only stake win came over turf)..hopefully if he gets any of him from mamma or even mamma who was OK on dirt, he could do well. If they decide to run and come to America early and gallop and breeze him over the track, I agree he could contend. But it is very hard for a horse to run over a new surface at a distance never before tried without spending some time training over the new surface. I might add that he was one of two horses that ran in the UAE Derby who were nominated to run in the Kentucky Derby, so I do expect them to cross the pond for the Derby.
Can you tell me if the other 3 tracks he raced at...Wolverhampton, Kempton Park or Leicester are turf, dirt or synthetic? I'm hoping one is dirt? TJ

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:12 am

TJ wrote:Can you tell me if the other 3 tracks he raced at...Wolverhampton, Kempton Park or Leicester are turf, dirt or synthetic? I'm hoping one is dirt? TJ

Wolverhampton and Kempton are both Polytrack.
Wolverhampton are having problems with their Poly, its been messed with over the years, god only knows what you would call it - its supposed to be relaid soon.

Leicester is a turf track.

FYI they are no dirt tracks in UK or Ireland.
Southwell in England have an artificle surface closest to dirt of all they artificial surfaces.

They owner of Toast of New York is a notable Jumps owner, he wants this horse maybe to run in the English Derby and be prepped for the Dubai World Cup next year.

If he was mine it would be KY Derby all the way, he has speed travels well and stays, he sire is standing for about $5,000 even if he wins the English Derby he aint gonna stand for a high stud fee.

If he wins the KY Derby or runs well opens up a lot more options for the horse - crazy not to try imho.
Edited by Moderator

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:38 pm

Thanks for the info Dub....I like this trainer, he seems like a sharp guy. Here's his take on the Derby deal....he's putting his horse first. TJ
http://www.drf.com/news/trainer-osborne ... t-new-york

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:35 am

Jamie Osborne ex jockey known for a landing a touch with his horses.

He knows the time of day.
Edited by Moderator

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:03 am

TJ wrote:
Cree wrote:I have a hard time thinking this horse will make an impact in the Derby, besides history being against him, I also don't really think that was an impressive race.

I guess we can call that the Saudi curse as opposed to the curse of Apollo:>) and I agree. The horse he beat, Giovanni Boldini was a very impressive 2nd in last seasons BC Juvy Turf.....key word Turf. Unfortunately the race is run over a tapeta surface. One that may be changed to dirt before next season at Meydan, so these horses can have an apples to apples Derby prep. The other reason they are considering switching to dirt is to draw more American attention to their races. Funny when you think about it, we went with synthetic in trying to bring more Euro horses to American racing. I wish Keeneland and Turfway would wise up and do that same thing. Derby preps should be run over the dirt until CD puts down a synthetic course:>) TJ

Are they reading my posts:>)?? This is a very good decision for racing, funny it comes at the heels of the fatalities report over the various surfaces. Keeneland first, now we need Turfway to make the move to dirt. If Meydan follows suit (which they probably will)....it will surely afford the 3YO's across the pond, a much better chance to win the Kentucky Derby with a dirt track prep. TJ
http://www.drf.com/news/keeneland-repla ... -fall-meet

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:30 am

Edited by Moderator

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:29 pm

Hi Dub,
Thanks...enjoyed the videos. It's nice being able to train horses the way it is done there. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:04 pm

Just checking out the Derby picture and Toast Of New York will not come here for the Derby. His race did receive a very good RPR (racing post rating) of 115 which converts to a 107 bris figure and a 108 beyer figure. TJ

dublino
Grade I Winner

Re: UAE Derby

Postby dublino » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:36 am

Edited by Moderator