The GR I Wood Memorial

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

The GR I Wood Memorial

Postby TJ » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:19 pm

As usual the Wood fills with some looking to catch lightning in a bottle:>) None of the speed drew well...but Social Inclusion drew worst of all on the far outside. Kristo ships in from SA for this and also gets greeted with a tough post. Even with the bad post, no telling how good Social Inclusion is, and they have a lot to lose if he runs bad today. They turned down 8 million for 75% of him, read the story in the link to the right. PP's in the bottom link. TJ http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... on-in-wood

10th Race. (C10) Approx Post 5:40PM STAKES
THE WOOD MEMORIAL (Grade I) $1,000,000
Purse $1,000,000 (Up to $60,000 NYSBFOA) One Mile And One Furlong
FOR THREE YEAR OLDS.
1 Kid Cruz(L) B.c.3.....SCRATCHED.....
2 Wicked Strong(L) B.c.3 123 Maragh, R Centennial Farms Jerkens, James
3 Noble Moon(L) B.c.3 123 Ortiz, Jr., I Treadway Racing Stable Gyarmati, Leah 1 Bar Shoe
4 Harpoon(L) Gr/ro.c.3 123 Velazquez, J Let's Go Stable Pletcher, Todd
5 Los Borrachos(L) B.c.3 123 Velasquez, C Brous Stable Mott, William
6 Kristo(L) B.c.3 123 Garcia, M Hronis Racing Sadler, John
7 Schivarelli(L) Ch.c.3 123 Castellano, J Pike Place Racing Kenneally, Eddie
8 Samraat(L) Dk B/ Br.c.3 123 Ortiz, J My Meadowview Farms Violette, Jr., Richard
9 Effinex Dk B/ Br.c.3 123 Montanez, R Tri-Bone Stables Smith, David
10 Uncle Sigh(L) B.c.3 123 Nakatani, C Wounded Warrior Stables Contessa, Gary
11 Social Inclusion(L) B.c.3 123 Contreras, L Rontos Racing Stable Azpurua, Manuel
http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_viewe ... m3=1309100
Last edited by TJ on Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Georgerz » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:28 pm

Harpoon? The Tapits seem to be very hot lately.

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:31 am

What has happened to Vincermos?
Edited by Moderator

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:08 am

Vinceremos is going to the Blue Grass.

I like Kid Cruz to win this after Social Inclusion, Samraat, and Uncle Sigh tire each other.

!!!!

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:49 am

dublino wrote:What has happened to Vincermos?

Hi Dub,
As Cree said, he's headed to the Blue Grass and posted a bullet work Sunday (3/30) at Palm Meadows, a 1/2 in 47.40 breezing. Other then the well publicized stories that tear horse racing apart, it's stories like these that never make the limelight. Vinceremos (which means to conquer) is a therapy center here in South Florida (Loxahatchee) and who this horse was named after. In the below links, you will find a really nice story from the Paulick Report and a video of the little girl in the story and the owner of Vinceremos Therapeutic Riding Center. They are worth reading and watching. TJ

Paulick article: http://www.paulickreport.com/news/peopl ... inceremos/

Video Link: http://vimeo.com/78343626

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:06 am

Cree wrote:Vinceremos is going to the Blue Grass.

I like Kid Cruz to win this after Social Inclusion, Samraat, and Uncle Sigh tire each other.

!!!!

Hi Cree,
Kid Cruz is scratched due to injury. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:34 am

Rain will fall tonight through Saturday morning over Aqueduct. The track could be off for earlier races Saturday afternoon...yet it may cause a bias come the Wood if it isn't totally dried out? That being said, Andy Beyer posted a rather unflattering story about Social Inclusion's connections. The 85 year old Manny Azpurua is one of the nicest people in the business and a good horseman. His owner may be outspoken, but there was no reason for Beyer to question what he said his business is....nor downplaying Azpurua's ability as a horseman? I think Beyer's comments should be enough to allow Social Inclusion to overcome his horrid post and the curse of Apollo...well maybe not the Apollo curse:>) Read the Beyer article and comments below the article, Beyer ruffled some feathers with his demeaning article.....I'd sue that arrogant twit.
http://www.drf.com/news/andrew-beyer-so ... d-memorial

Social Inclusion, the Andy Beyer knock is his biggest boost...Kristo didn't like being taken back in last, he drew best of all the speeds and can hang the other speed out going into the first turn?....Samraat is undefeated and Wicked Strong is better then he showed in Florida and gets the inside post? TJ

Social Inclusion
Kristo
Samraat
Wicked Strong

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:09 pm

I like Kristo too. Too bad about Kid Cruz, hope to see him back soon.

ct2346
Starters Handicap

Postby ct2346 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:20 pm

I could certainly root for Manny, but I find it worrisome if there is 16m left on a table. That usually doesn't bode well - racing gods don't like that sort of thing.

It looks to me as if Leah has really prepared her horse well. Its certainly a different route to the Derby but I think she may know exactly what she's doing. No gaps in the works and solid long ones.

Noble Moon.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:37 pm

ct2346 wrote:I could certainly root for Manny, but I find it worrisome if there is 16m left on a table. That usually doesn't bode well - racing gods don't like that sort of thing.

It looks to me as if Leah has really prepared her horse well. Its certainly a different route to the Derby but I think she may know exactly what she's doing. No gaps in the works and solid long ones.

Noble Moon.

Hi ct,
Yes I agree....when you turn down a crazy good offer, the racing gods do retaliate. But I feel the owner of SI was just poking fun asking for 15 million...even if someone did bite, the owner would never take that horse away from Manny before the Derby. Certainly can see Leah's horse in here....post is good and he has speed? She also brings back Sweet Reason in the GR II Gazelle, who worked a mile in company with Noble Moon On 3/23. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:47 pm

Cree wrote:I like Kristo too. Too bad about Kid Cruz, hope to see him back soon.

Hi Cree,
Kristo's a free running type, but was take back in last, so I have to give him one more shot. Playing horses that ship in from SA or GP at this time of the year has always been a good angle. I think I'll tinker around with that in mind all day at Aqueduct....it's a really good card they have on tap. Here's the link to all of Saturdays entries. TJ http://www.equibase.com/static/entry/AQ ... html#RACE8

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:01 pm

I like the two California horses for the Bay Shore (Kobe's Back and The Admiral).
AND, Sahara Sky in the Carter. Hollendorfer wouldn't ship him if he didn't like what he saw.
The two favourites in the Gazelle look tough, but I actually like the other Pletcher (Got Lucky) more.

Looking forward to Saturdays races.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:15 pm

Cree wrote:I like the two California horses for the Bay Shore (Kobe's Back and The Admiral).
AND, Sahara Sky in the Carter. Hollendorfer wouldn't ship him if he didn't like what he saw.
The two favourites in the Gazelle look tough, but I actually like the other Pletcher (Got Lucky) more.

Looking forward to Saturdays races.

Me Too:>)

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Bill from WA » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:25 pm

I like Noble Moon a bit. Might be worth a shot.
Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is like a broken winged bird that cannot fly.

Langston Hughes

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:15 pm

TJ wrote:
dublino wrote:What has happened to Vincermos?

Hi Dub,
As Cree said, he's headed to the Blue Grass and posted a bullet work Sunday (3/30) at Palm Meadows, a 1/2 in 47.40 breezing. Other then the well publicized stories that tear horse racing apart, it's stories like these that never make the limelight. Vinceremos (which means to conquer) is a therapy center here in South Florida (Loxahatchee) and who this horse was named after. In the below links, you will find a really nice story from the Paulick Report and a video of the little girl in the story and the owner of Vinceremos Therapeutic Riding Center. They are worth reading and watching. TJ

Paulick article: http://www.paulickreport.com/news/peopl ... inceremos/

Video Link: http://vimeo.com/78343626

I like the horse even more now - nice link TJ.

Social Inclusion should beat these.
I like Candy Boy and Vinceremos as well.
Edited by Moderator