The GR I Santa Anita Derby

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

Re: The GR I Santa Anita Derby

Postby Bill from WA » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:39 pm

California Chrome Continued

Moving on to position #14, we find Northern Dancer (Dazzling I/S). Anyone who is interested in thoroughbreds is familiar with Northern Dancer and the huge worldwide impact he has had on the breed as a runner, sire, and as a sire of sires (Danehill, Sadler’s Wells, etc.). Northern Dancer won the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness and his conduit mare, Dazzling is the conduit of a veritable who’s who in the world of the thoroughbred. Names like Spectacular Bid (Kentucky Derby and Preakness), Cannonade (Kentucky Derby), Skywalker (BC Classic), Bago (Prix de l’arc de Triomphe), Zinabad (Yorkshire Cup at 2800 meters, and the Hardwicke Stakes at 2400 meters), and the good runners and sires, Machiavellian, the unfortunate Stephan’s Odyssey, and Halo are just a sampling of the many outstanding descendant of this mare.

Dazzling was unraced as a juvenile, and started only twice as a three-year-old, failing to win. She was however, highly tried, with her two lifetime starts being the One Thousand Guineas (won by Quintessence) and the Epsom Oaks Stakes (won by Our Lassie). The Broodmare of the Year, Cosmah, also traces to this mare.

Moving to position #15 we find the 15.3 hand Danzig. Undefeated in three lifetime starts, he was an immediate success at stud, and was the sire of both sprinters and routers. His conduit mare, Princess Sonia (I/S), was the conduit of many good performers both on the flat and over jumps (Paico as an example). The ‘Arc winner, Topyo, the Epsom Derby winner Kris Kin, the Duetches Derby winner Luigi, and the Gran Premio Nacional winner Gentlemen, all trace to this mare.

The last position #16 is Sir Ivor (Ste Claire B/P). Sir Ivor was a top class racehorse, winning the 2000 Guineas, the Epsom Derby and Laurel’s Washington International Stakes among other triumphs. At stud he was solid, with the likes of Sir Tristram and Bates Motel among many good ones.

In addition to Sir Ivor, Ste Claire was the conduit of Aegina (2nd CCA Oaks), Menow (3rd Preakness, and an influential sire) and the BC Classic winner and sire, Proud Truth.

An overview of this pedigree leads me to believe that California Chrome is indeed capable of excelling at the Derby distance, and perhaps even farther (Belmont?). He certainly is a very talented athlete.

Bill
Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is like a broken winged bird that cannot fly.

Langston Hughes

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:04 am

Hi Bill,
Thanks for your analysis. Getting the distance is no longer a concern:>) Now my concerns revolve around his training over a 1/4 horse track and the fact he won't breeze over the CD strip. The other day he was involved with a close call when a loose horse was running around the track while he was out there at Los Alamitos . They now close the track for 20 minutes while California Chrome gets in his exercise. This peaceful training may not be such a good idea considering the hustle and bustle at CD on Derby day and leading up to it? I hope they call an audible and send him to CD earlier to get used to the commotion and get a work over the track.
On a positive note, his races have been as impressive as any I've ever seen...I can't remember seeing a horse enter the Derby with so many winning races and such flattering comments as "ridden out" applied since Secretariat:>) If he handles that track and the crazy large crowd, he could bring back the excitement of the golden age of racing? TJ
Last edited by TJ on Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Bill from WA » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:32 am

Hi TJ

This Derby is one of the most fascinating in years because of California Chrome. Based on the accomplishments, so far, of the contenders he will be facing, he looms as a legitimate triple crown threat (barring any training setbacks). Of course that could all go out the window on the first Saturday in May. You never know what will happen on Derby day. I could be all wrong, but I am still getting butterflies at the possibilities.
Good wagering to all.

Bill
Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is like a broken winged bird that cannot fly.

Langston Hughes

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:00 am

Bill from WA wrote:Hi TJ

This Derby is one of the most fascinating in years because of California Chrome. Based on the accomplishments, so far, of the contenders he will be facing, he looms as a legitimate triple crown threat (barring any training setbacks). Of course that could all go out the window on the first Saturday in May. You never know what will happen on Derby day. I could be all wrong, but I am still getting butterflies at the possibilities.
Good wagering to all.

Bill

Hi Bill.
He only needs to bring more of the same to Kentucky? Here's to long awaited butterflies:>) TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:26 pm

Hi Bill,
Thought you'd like to see this....CC's work this morning at Los Alamitos. If you're his connections you have to be walking on a air right now. They caught him in 47.4....hardly looks that fast watching it. He's got a huge stride and does everything so easy. Victor Espinoza, who was on board for the work, seems to be part of that horse and vice-versa:>) TJ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvUhVe3lto8

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Bill from WA » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:34 am

Thank you for the link TJ. What a professional looking work. As you stated, he moves so effortlessly that he doesn't seem to be going as fast as he is. Just a walk in the park. This horse is truly special (in my opinion). We'll soon see if he's for real.

Bill

Langston Hughes

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:58 pm

Bill from WA wrote:Thank you for the link TJ. What a professional looking work. As you stated, he moves so effortlessly that he doesn't seem to be going as fast as he is. Just a walk in the park. This horse is truly special (in my opinion). We'll soon see if he's for real.

Bill

Hi Bill,
If he likes the new surface, let's hope he gets a good post and a safe trip...that should be all he needs. He is a very exciting horse to watch. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:01 pm

Bill from WA wrote:Thank you for the link TJ. What a professional looking work. As you stated, he moves so effortlessly that he doesn't seem to be going as fast as he is. Just a walk in the park. This horse is truly special (in my opinion). We'll soon see if he's for real.

Bill

Hi Bill,
I think you'll enjoy this one, glad I stumbled on it. This is his gallop the day before the video of the 1/2 mile breeze I posted. This guy knows this horse inside and out....he's got a real good exercise boy. Best as I can figure is he galloped near 1 3/4-2 miles, although it was tough to tell for sure, the way they kept changing camera angles. Though switching the camera showed his lead changes along the way, very nice. He was ready for that breeze, yet I was surprised he did that much the day before, he has to be very fit. The exercise boy was blowing after the gallop:>) Note the exercise rider's pet name for him as he starts him off, Chrome Dome. The further they went, the more "Chrome Dome" wanted. TJ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubBfZ2-ddvA