buck in the X

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

Re: buck in the X

Postby TJ » Mon May 19, 2014 12:23 pm

Personally I still believe, as Tom Ainslie said....that Col. Bradley is the originator of the final speed angle. TJ

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby Pan Zareta » Mon May 19, 2014 1:12 pm

stancaris wrote:Your hypothesis that the X is at best only a minor role player in broodmare sire success is nuts.

It's the only reasonable conclusion the genome-based evidence supports and an unbiased review of the circumstantial evidence shows support there as well.

Again, how did the horses with Buckpasser in exclusively non x-passing positions in their 5 gen. pedigrees that have won or finished 2d or 3d in the TC races do on this angle?

stancaris
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby stancaris » Tue May 20, 2014 8:09 am

Pan Zareta wrote: "Its the only reasonable conclusion that genome-based evidence supports"

To say that the X chromosome at best plays only a minor role in broodmare sire success is unreasonable and biased.

I believe you would be hard-pressed to find any breeding consultants that would agree with you on the above conclusion.

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby Pan Zareta » Tue May 20, 2014 9:34 am

stancaris wrote:To say that the X chromosome at best plays only a minor role in broodmare sire success is unreasonable and biased.

I believe you would be hard-pressed to find any breeding consultants that would agree with you on the above conclusion.

You can believe whatever you want. None of the breeding consultants with whom I'm acquainted mystically aggrandize the x when making selections and I'd never use or recommend one that does. That nonsense has put a lot of TB & QH foals on the ground that couldn't get out of their own way on the track, in the field, ring, or arena, and should never have been bred in the first place.

For the third time, how did the horses with Buckpasser in exclusively non x-passing positions in their 5 gen. pedigrees that have won or finished 2d or 3d in the TC races do on this angle?

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Tue May 20, 2014 10:01 am

Stan

Why don't you ask Ellen Parker and Lauren Stich if they believe that genes carried on the X chromosome are a primary or important factor in broodmare sire success. With your affiliation with American Turf Monthly I am sure you would have no problem getting in touch with them.

DDT

hpkingjr

Postby hpkingjr » Wed May 21, 2014 11:03 am

If I understand the theory correctly this mare has a double double shot of Buckpasser in he x passing position . She would also have a boatload of La Troienne .

http://www.pedigreequery.com/index.php? ... _font=1&l=
Give the Pope and the King of England a horse and in thirty days, they'll be stealing halters.

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby Pan Zareta » Wed May 21, 2014 1:02 pm

hpkingjr wrote:If I understand the theory correctly this mare has a double double shot of Buckpasser in he x passing position . She would also have a boatload of La Troienne .

http://www.pedigreequery.com/index.php? ... _font=1&l=

It's a triple shot. Con Game's not in an x passing position in that pedigree. By crude average, Buckpasser's contributing about 12.5% of Defendina's paternal x and about 19% of her maternal x. Slew's contributing about 50% to the paternal x which is worthy of note because his x could have had quite a bit in common w/ Buckpasser's. Slew's dam, My Charmer, was 3x3 in x passing positions to full sibs Striking and Busher. They were effective 3/4 sibs (same sire & 2d dam) to Buckpasser's dam Busanda.