The Peter Pan Stakes (GR II)

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

The Peter Pan Stakes (GR II)

Postby TJ » Wed May 07, 2014 12:11 pm

Good race for 3YO's that has been used previously as a prep for the Belmont Stakes. Will post pp's when they become available. TJ

9th Race. (C9) Approx Post 5:28PM STAKES
THE PETER PAN (Grade II)
Purse $200,000 (Up to $32,000 NYSBFOA) One Mile And One Eighth
FOR THREE YEAR OLDS.
1 Matterhorn(L) B.c.3 116 Velazquez, J Tabor, M Pletcher, Todd
2 Fabulous Kid(L) B.c.3 116 Alvarado, J Jayaraman, K K & V D Toner, James
3 Commissioner(L) B.c.3 116 Castellano, J WinStar Farm Pletcher, Todd
4 Tonalist(L) B.c.3 116 Rosario, J Evans, R Clement, Christophe
5 Tapicero(L) Dk B/ Br.c.3 116 Zayas, E All American Horses LLC Morales, Mario
6 Our Caravan(L) B.c.3 120 Lezcano, J Anstu Stables Dilger, Michael
7 Irish You Well(L) Ch.c.3 116 Ortiz, Jr., I Donegal Racing (J. Crawford) Catalano, Wayne

TJ
Darley line

Re: The Peter Pan Stakes (GR II)

Postby TJ » Wed May 07, 2014 12:48 pm

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Wed May 07, 2014 1:06 pm

I like how for Tonalist it says he was beaten by weaker last time... he was beaten by Constitution!

I like the Pletcher colt in this, Commissioner.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Wed May 07, 2014 1:59 pm

Cree wrote:I like how for Tonalist it says he was beaten by weaker last time... he was beaten by Constitution!

I like the Pletcher colt in this, Commissioner.

Hi Cree,
The comment is computer generated. It was a low level allowance race Tonalist ran 2nd in last time. He was a possible for the Florida Derby, but trained poorly (lung infection diagnosed) and this is his first start since Feb. 22nd. Tonalist does step up today into a GR II stake race so the comment is valid in that respect. Constitution was just a maiden winner when he won that Feb. 22nd race and came back and won a GR I stake off that allowance win. The computer generated comment applied to Constitution when he ran in the Florida Derby was, "beat weaker last out". Though that allowance race certainly is looking like a possible "key race" for future winners since Wicked Strong also finished 4th in that same allowance race...then won the Wood in his next start. So, although it is turning out to be a strong "key race" Allowance it is still just a 1st level allowance condition and the computer makes no adjustments due to what that competition did after that race. That's where we come in, keeping this in mind, here's my picks:>) TJ
Tonalist
Commissioner
Our Caravan
Matterhorn

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat May 10, 2014 2:35 pm

Here's the finish run over a sloppy Belmont strip. Tonalist and Commissioner both have the Belmont Stakes on their radar. Irish You Well, still a maiden may also be thinking about it....he's owned by the connections of Summer Bird. TJ
Tonalist
Commissioner
Irish You Well
Matterhorn
Last edited by TJ on Sat May 10, 2014 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sat May 10, 2014 3:07 pm

Is he ever a nice looking individual!
He was the one to beat, and he won that impressive enough. Next stop the Belmont?

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat May 10, 2014 3:14 pm

Cree wrote:Is he ever a nice looking individual!
He was the one to beat, and he won that impressive enough. Next stop the Belmont?

Hi Cree,
I was trying to edit that in there:>) Tonalist and Commissioner are definitely Belmont bound. The 3rd horse may also, he's from the connections of Summer Bird. TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sat May 10, 2014 4:14 pm

I'm looking forward to the Belmont, if some of these horses go to it.

I also think the Preakness is starting to look better and better.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat May 10, 2014 6:26 pm

Cree wrote:I'm looking forward to the Belmont, if some of these horses go to it.

I also think the Preakness is starting to look better and better.

Hi Cree,
The Preakness will be a very significant horse race. California Chrome could prove his brilliance against this fresh new group of challengers. Though it will be no easy task....then to think if he gets past the Preakness, he'll have another set of fresh talented horses lining up to take him down in the Belmont Stakes. If you ever wondered why it's so tough to win the Triple Crown, watching this years TC races assemble is a prime reason why....you have to be a great horse to win all three. California Chrome, no matter what the outcome of the Preakness, is the best thing to happen to horse racing in a long time. TJ