Preakness Stakes 139

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

Preakness Stakes 139

Postby TJ » Wed May 14, 2014 3:28 pm

Here's the field, in post position order. Past Performances to come shortly. First impression, California Chrome will be under pressure with the serious speed (Social Inclusion and Bayern) to his outside. EDIT NOTE: Below, the PP's found are not in post position order, but the 10 horses entered are available. It should rectify itself when they come out in PP order. If not I will post the updated past performances as soon as they are released. TJ

12th RACE. (C14) Post 6:18PM STAKES
The 139th Running of THE PREAKNESS STAKES (Grade I)
PURSE $1,500,000 Guaranteed 1 3/16 Miles
FOR THREE-YEAR-OLDS, $15,000 TO PASS THE ENTRY BOX, STARTERS TO
PAY $15,000 ADDITIONAL.

1 DYNAMIC IMPACT (L) Casse, M Mena, M 126
2 GENERAL A ROD (L) Maker, M Castellano, J 126
3 CALIFORNIA CHROME (L) Sherman, A Espinoza, V 126
4 RING WEEKEND (L) Motion, H Garcia, A 126
5 BAYERN (L) Baffert, B Napravnik, R 126
6 RIA ANTONIA (L) Amoss, T Borel, C 121
7 KID CRUZ (L) Rice, L Pimentel, J 126
8 SOCIAL INCLUSION (L) Azpurua, M Contreras, L 126
9 PABLO DEL MONTE (L) Ward, W Sanchez, J 126
10 RIDE ON CURLIN (L) Gowan, W Rosario, J 126
http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_viewe ... m3=1933440
Last edited by TJ on Wed May 14, 2014 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Re: Preakness Stakes 139

Postby Cree » Wed May 14, 2014 4:18 pm

Going out on a limb here :)

California Chrome
Ride On Curlin
Kid Cruz

I actually think this is an ok looking Preakness Stakes.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu May 15, 2014 7:40 am

Here's a recent tweet this morning (5/15) from Jay Privman....
Shoe change pondered for California Chrome
Earlier this week, you hopefully saw the story I wrote (on line and in print) about the inventive shoeing that goes on with California Chrome, namely using glue-on shoes that are affixed with nails, owing to preference of farrier Judd Fisher for the type of shoe, not the glue. Art Sherman, trainer of California Chrome, this morning said Fisher was flying in from California for the Preakness and together they would decide whether to make a change if the track comes up off Saturday. It is supposed to pour here Friday. Sherman said depending on the Pimlico track condition Saturday, he would consider using jar calks, which act like a cleat on a human shoe, for better traction. But he's hoping the track dries quickly and that he won't have to make a change

Jay Privman writes about horse racing and should at least be aware of certain rules and regulations. Jar Caulks have been banned from use at many tracks. This is the shoe rules at Pimlico Race Course:
Shoes:
Turf & Dirt: A horse may not be permitted to start if it has shoes with toe grabs with are greater than 4 millimeters in height or contain bends, jar caulks, or any other traction device worn on the front hooves.
You would think Privman would have looked into his tweet, if for no other reason then to check with Sherman to make sure he's aware of this rule?? TJ

jagger
Grade III Winner

Postby jagger » Thu May 15, 2014 8:42 am

Social Inclusion, Bayern and California Chrome
Last edited by jagger on Thu May 15, 2014 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu May 15, 2014 9:50 am

There's always something....Preakness favorite California Chrome was coughing a few times this morning. Sherman said he had the same issue before. Says it's due to a blister in his throat that comes and goes and he had it before the Derby? I would like to know if the blister was "live" prior to his Derby win or if it was a dead issue at that time? Even with all this, I still think he is the horse to beat. I doubt Sherman would run him if he thought this would effect his racing ability? TJ
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... ness-rumor

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Fri May 16, 2014 8:23 am

As in the Derby, California Chrome enjoys a big class advantage over this bunch and he has a speed advantage over all of them except Social Inclusion, who worked well over the track and is giving all indications that he is ready to run a big one, I cannot eliminate him because he has demonstrated that he can run with California Chrome for at least a mile and a sixteenth. It should be a cake walk for California Chrome. That being said, I will play the Pimlico Special/Dixie/Preakness pick 3 using 1-2-3-6 in Friday's Pimlico Special, 6-9 in Saturday's Dixie and 3-8 for the Preakness at a cost of $16 for a $1.00 wager. I will play a pick 4 on Saturday's card using races 9, 10, 11 and 12. 3-9 for Race 9, 8-11 for Race 10, 6-9 for Race 11 and 3-8 for Race 12 at a cost of $16.00 for $1.00 wager or $8.00 for a $.50 wager.

Good luck to all and may they all have a safe trip.

8 and 11 both scratched out of Race 10 and I have added 2 and 8 for Race 10 in the pick 4.

I meant to say I changed it to 2 and 4 not 2 and 8
DDT
Last edited by DDT on Sat May 17, 2014 12:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri May 16, 2014 3:54 pm

Those preparing to burn the midnight oil, with the DRF and a pot of coffee to get an edge on tomorrow's Preakness Card. Know this, the track will be fast and all the Turf Stake races will be run on the turf course. This thanks to Pimlico's maintenance crew, who pumped the flood of water off the turf course all day today. The status of the early non-Stake Turf races, 1st, 3rd and 4th will be decided tomorrow. So get to work picking those winners:>) TJ

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Sat May 17, 2014 8:03 am

Pimlico is offering a $.10 pick 5 that must be paid out today on races 8 through 12 which could be a nice wager. 3-5-7-9 in Race 8, 3-7 in Race 9, 2-8 in Race 10, 6-9 in Race 11 and 3-8 in Race 12, the ticket would contain the multiples of 4X2X2X2X2 or 64 combinations for a total price of $6.40. If it hits it might pay a nice price.

DDT

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat May 17, 2014 10:46 am

The track seems to be playing pretty fair. Only thing I notice is that the rider's try to stay 3-4 paths off the rail. That was the excuse for Orb last season when he was trapped down on the tiring inside for most of his journey. It leads me to believe California Chrome will have to come away in good order and and find his way 4-5 spots off the inside in order to find the best footing. No doubt they will try to hem him in with the sharp speed outside of him....so he does have to use himself a bit to avoid this tactic, which can either win the race for him.....or use him up early and get him beat? That being said, I believe his rider is cool as cucumber and will be able to find the best way around there for his horse. I think CC is better suited to go the distance then Social Inclusion, though I believe these two are far ahead of this group...but I will soon find out:>) TJ

CALIFORNIA CHROME
SOCIAL INCLUSION
RING WEEKEND
RIDE ON CURLIN

Longshot Chance, Pablo Del Monte who may hang tough with his natural speed and outside stalking post.

hpkingjr

Postby hpkingjr » Sat May 17, 2014 1:49 pm

TJ wrote:There's always something....Preakness favorite California Chrome was coughing a few times this morning. Sherman said he had the same issue before. Says it's due to a blister in his throat that comes and goes and he had it before the Derby? I would like to know if the blister was "live" prior to his Derby win or if it was a dead issue at that time? Even with all this, I still think he is the horse to beat. I doubt Sherman would run him if he thought this would effect his racing ability? TJ
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... ness-rumor

On the way to the track Derby Day one of our media friends was backside and heard him coughing. Naturally I told my buddies. Still paying for the advice.
Give the Pope and the King of England a horse and in thirty days, they'll be stealing halters.

hpkingjr

Postby hpkingjr » Sat May 17, 2014 1:51 pm

Like Ride on Curlin over Bayern and Calf. Chrome.
Give the Pope and the King of England a horse and in thirty days, they'll be stealing halters.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sat May 17, 2014 3:29 pm

Winner: California Chrome
Ride On Curlin
Social Inclusion
General A Rod

That was fantastic.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sat May 17, 2014 3:30 pm

What on earth were they doing to poor Ria Antonia? Are they going to stop now with the crazy? Since when does she run on the front....?

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat May 17, 2014 3:43 pm

Hi Cree,
It certainly was a great race...California Chrome and Victor Espinoza were made for each other. Very smart rider....kept him off the rail and they made their patented move out of the turn. Glad to see Gowan's horse get up for 2nd. Social Inclusion can't go that far. Now he has to face another group of new shooter's who will attempt to spoil his TC bid in the Belmont Stakes. TJ

Mac
Allowance Winner

Postby Mac » Sat May 17, 2014 5:36 pm

Not a bad finishing time. 1:54.84. In the past 15 years, only curlin and bernardini clocked faster.

Really, really enjoyed watching that race.