Belmont Stakes Probables

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

Re: Belmont Stakes Probables

Postby TJ » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:17 pm

bdw0617 wrote:a really really good handicapping angle is when a trainer does something he normally does not do with a horse, like Clement running in a triple crown race. i was scared of him for that reason. he's not one to just show up for the show so to speak. same reason why i loved sherman in the derby

Hi bdw,
That's so true...happy for Christophe. CC's owner had me fooled. Thought they had a bit of class, but he took it away with his "dumb ass" tirade. TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:50 pm

I didn't know Tonalist was so big. I also really like his funky face marking, and he's got that white eye like a lot of Indy horses. I thought he ran a good race......... but man, was the final time pedestrian.

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:13 pm

TJ wrote:Another disappointment...but it was a great race. Tonalist trained to the minute by CC (Christoph Clement)....there was that other CC:>) California's Chrome's owner is getting nuts right now and really blowing all the good they've done. Complaining that these fresh horses have no right to run in the Belmont if they didn't have the points to run in the Derby....he was not a gracious loser to say the least. What he didn't know was Tonalist was sick and had foot issues and that kept him from being ready to run in the Derby....he was supposed to race in the Wood to get his Derby points. After listening to his owner's tirade....I feel a lot better after watching CC get beat. TJ

Regardless of the owner's appalling public display of sour grapes, I do not feel better after watching CC be beaten. I didn't think he was moving well over the track early on. He had every chance but was been by the three horses that have what passes for a distance pedigree these days. CC is a good horse, he did well (better than Big Brown), and I hope we see him in the future accompanied by an owner with a sock in his mouth.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:29 pm

I'm hoping to hear an apology from this owner for what he said....if he does, then I'll feel bad that Chrome got beat. They come into the game and get so lucky with a home-bred. They get beat in the final leg of the TC, so he feels the game needs an overhaul? They should be happy they got as far as they did....I just don't understand it. You buy a horse who broke her maiden in a claimer for 8,000....they breed her to a 2,500 sire....win two legs of the TC with her foal and he gets beat in the Belmont Stakes running a gallant race in defeat and he has the audacity to cry about it? I really thought they cared for their horse and the business....if Chrome could speak he'd be ashamed and apologize for that dumb ass partner. I think they will return to California, give Chrome a well deserved rest and maybe stay on the west coast, where he can face the same challengers every time he runs. Can't have those new challenger's...no that wouldn't be fair. This guy needs to apologize publicly or sell his interest in California Chrome, because that fool just tarnished California Chrome's good name....not to mention embarrass his other partner and the Sherman's. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:46 am

Jagger commented about his wife poking him from behind during his rant, I didn't notice it the first time. Here's the video...I understand it's the heat of the moment, but I think Coburn might have had a few too many to drink? TJ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W0QPnSv2_0#t=23

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:25 am

This is even better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZEzB9ma3pY

Who is the blonde - a good reason to get up early in the morning.
Edited by Moderator

ct2346
Starters Handicap

Postby ct2346 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:20 am

Having seen both the Saturday and now Sunday interviews, both the heat-of-the-moment and the Bushmills-speaking excuses now go out the window. The guy's a spoiled twit. Racing would be best served if this guys fades into obscurity.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:49 am

After all the BS and comments by Chrome's owner a little red boarding is in order:>) In retrospect, California Chrome ran a very good race only beaten 1 3/4 lengths. That's pretty impressive after making all the dances...but one thing that is seldom mentioned is the NY jockey colony...they ride hard and aggressively, these riders are as much a reason for the evasive TC, as the 5 week time span. We almost saw Commissioner win wire to wire. California Chrome is a faster horse then he is and had Victor been aggressive and went to the lead when he could have..he may have maintained that advantage throughout. Instead he over thought the race...even allowed Medal Count room on the rail and CC was passed outside and inside eventually being surrounded with his competition on all sides. Then instead of biding his time and save ground after opting to put himself in that pocket, he takes CC back out of the pocket he put him in and takes the overland route 5 wide into the stretch losing additional ground. He was climbing early on when Victor allowed CC to get in behind horses and eat dirt. You could see in his stride, CC wasn't pleased with that. Coming out of the gate, California Chrome stumbled to the outside and brushing with Matterhorn, who scraped down his leg then stepped on CC grabbing his quarter and still was out of there on top of the field....he should have gone on with him, instead of rate him. This is NY and they never give away the Belmont Stakes to anyone who comes looking for the TC....you have to take command, be aggressive and have faith in your horse that he will take it to them all and get the job done. All true TC champions have done it that way before CC's try...I think this horse could have too, if he was ridden confidently and aggressively. Belmont replay below....Tonalist received a 100 beyer for his effort. TJ
http://www1.drf.com/displayVideo.do?tra ... ountry=USA

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:26 am

Andy Beyer suggests Espinoza's ride cost CC the Triple Crown? TJ
http://www.drf.com/news/beyer-espinozas ... iple-crown

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:09 pm

If California Chrome had won, Espinoza's ride would have been described as masterful.

I can't actually recall a Beyer article that I have ever agreed with.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:37 pm

California Chrome is taking life easy at Los Alamitos...having his wounds tended to and chilling in his stall. When his wounds are healed, he will be sent to Harris River Farm for some R&R. As expected, he will remain on the west coast and point for the BC Classic. TJ

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... -at-los-al