Belmont Stakes Probables

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

Re: Belmont Stakes Probables

Postby TJ » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:49 am

Thursday 6/5...the rains came as expected and the track was sloppy, sealed with the dogs up well off the rail. TJ

California Chrome went to the gate and stood quietly, none of his usual antics? Then proceeded to gallop about 1 1/4 miles around the dogs. For those who aren't aware, Chrome likes to take his time going to the track...sometimes stopping and staring for some time. This AM with the rain, he pulled it again...Delgado was trying to urge him to move, but Chrome just stood there...Delgado said..."I'm out of quarters:>)" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVMZ9mFB ... tube_gdata

Tonalist who won the Peter Pan over a sloppy track, enjoyed hearing his feet rattle doing his usual 1 3/8ths mile gallop.

Commanding Curve also traveled well in the going...jogged 1 and galloped 1 1/4 miles.

Samraat who shipped to Belmont yesterday from Aqueduct jogged twice around, or 3 miles in the pouring rain.

Matuszak galloped almost 1 1/2 miles.

Ride On Curlin, according to Mike Welsch...After a couple of lackluster mornings, Ride On Curlin was back to his old self, really pulling his rider and giving him all he could handle down the stretch galloping over a wet track in a steady downpour.

jagger
Grade III Winner

Postby jagger » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:11 am

Thanks for the update, TJ. Looks like mostly sunny to mostly sunny for the next 2 days and the rain, if any, to stop this morning. So, hopefully track should be in great condition.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:30 am

jagger wrote:Thanks for the update, TJ. Looks like mostly sunny to mostly sunny for the next 2 days and the rain, if any, to stop this morning. So, hopefully track should be in great condition.

Hi jagger,
Yes, the track should be perfect Saturday. NYRA put together a great day of racing, it's the "who's who" of racing. Here's the Saturday card, first race post time at 11:35 AM. TJ
http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbHors ... -20140607D

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:42 am

Friday 6/6....last minute tweaks in store today for the contenders. The track is fast, the weather today and tomorrow expected to be perfect.

California Chrome...he visited the paddock this morning before a large crowd of fans, standing him in stall 2 before exiting and walking around the long paddock trail a couple times. Then being led through the tunnel and on to the main track where he galloped 2 3/8ths miles. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_7Jj4vS ... tube_gdata

Tonalist once again gallops a strong 1 3/8ths miles.

Wicked Strong galloping over the training track...he was a bit rank going 1 3/8ths miles while tossing his head around trying to be free of his rider's hold.

Samraat visited the gate and stood quietly, then galloped a strong 1 3/8ths miles.

Medal Count made his first lifetime appearance over the Belmont main track after arriving here yesterday. He was a bit too eager on the backside with sub 15 second eights, while almost getting away from the rider before finally settling down the last 3/4's of a mile.

Here we are, the day before the Belmont and all participants are in top condition going into tomorrow's race. Tomorrow California Chrome will head to the track early, which is his usual routine on race day morning. We could have other participants join in since the race goes off at 6:52 PM?
What a great race this will be...no excuses for anyone coming into the Belmont Stakes, it will be a hard fought battle to be sure. Here's wishing all the horses and riders a safe and speedy journey. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:58 pm

Here's opinion's from some well know ex-jockey's and current trainers. Little disappointed in McLaughlin's pick, sounded like he got Tonalist's name wrong....calling him Totalist :>) TJ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3x7CYHD ... tube_gdata

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:53 am

California Chrome...I hate it when heart and handicapping collide:>)
Commanding Curve...Dallas has this one training much better since his Derby 2nd.
Wicked Strong...hope the crowd and outside post, doesn't cause him to lose it? Hope they have his ears stuffed with cotton:>)
Samraat...he's got speed and held well in the Derby, always tries hard.

Longshot...General A Rod, I like the move to Rosie, he will be a sure pace presence under her and could finally show what he is?

jagger
Grade III Winner

Postby jagger » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:55 am

Chrome, Commanding Curve and Tonalist and I too like General A Rod as a spoiler.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:57 am

Hi jagger,
Good Luck...lets get the CC's home:>) May have made a mistake throwing out Ride on Curlin. TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:39 am

I'm going with my heart, and I pick California Chrome to win, followed by Commissioner, Wicked Strong, and Ride On Curlin.

I am cautiously cheering for Chrome, but the last 36 years (which is as long as I have lived) has me very very nervous. I don't know if it can be done again.

On a happy note, how about that Kid Cruz today! He was awesome.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:44 am

Cree wrote:I'm going with my heart, and I pick California Chrome to win, followed by Commissioner, Wicked Strong, and Ride On Curlin.

I am cautiously cheering for Chrome, but the last 36 years (which is as long as I have lived) has me very very nervous. I don't know if it can be done again.

On a happy note, how about that Kid Cruz today! He was awesome.

Hi Cree,
Yes the "Kid" was something else and to think she took him off Billy Mott? Kid's win does a lot for Chrome's stock:>) Waiting to see how Social Inclusion does in about ten minutes. Good Luck, TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:24 am

I'd say Bayern freaked in that race. Wowza! He is fast. Baffert was quoting as saying he was waiting for a performance like that from the colt.
This has been a fantastic day so far.

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Georgerz » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:04 pm

Social Inclusion came in third in his race. Not running in the Belmont, is that going to make a difference to CC? by the way CC looks awesome today.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:18 pm

Georgerz wrote:Social Inclusion came in third in his race. Not running in the Belmont, is that going to make a difference to CC? by the way CC looks awesome today.

Hi George,
It would have made Social Inclusion a target for CC to run at if he went in the Belmont....Social Inclusion needs a van to go a mile and a half and that would have left CC in a good spot when he retired. The moment of truth is fast approaching. May they all have a safe and speedy journey. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:10 pm

Another disappointment...but it was a great race. Tonalist trained to the minute by CC (Christoph Clement)....there was that other CC:>) California's Chrome's owner is getting nuts right now and really blowing all the good they've done. Complaining that these fresh horses have no right to run in the Belmont if they didn't have the points to run in the Derby....he was not a gracious loser to say the least. What he didn't know was Tonalist was sick and had foot issues and that kept him from being ready to run in the Derby....he was supposed to race in the Wood to get his Derby points. After listening to his owner's tirade....I feel a lot better after watching CC get beat. TJ

bdw0617
Darley line

Postby bdw0617 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:14 pm

a really really good handicapping angle is when a trainer does something he normally does not do with a horse, like Clement running in a triple crown race. i was scared of him for that reason. he's not one to just show up for the show so to speak. same reason why i loved sherman in the derby
"When the solution is simple, God is answering.”
- Einstein