2014 Hopeful Stakes: Searching for clues in the bloodlines

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

Bobster
Maiden Special Weight

2014 Hopeful Stakes: Searching for clues in the bloodlines

Postby Bobster » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:00 pm

This article features pedigree write ups for the horses entered in Monday's Hopeful Stakes at Saratoga. I hope you enjoy it and can use it for a handicapping angle. You can read more of my articles at bobschless.wordpress.com.

http://bobschless.wordpress.com/2014/08 ... ul-stakes/

TJ
Darley line

Re: 2014 Hopeful Stakes: Searching for clues in the bloodlin

Postby TJ » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:20 am

Bobster wrote:This article features pedigree write ups for the horses entered in Monday's Hopeful Stakes at Saratoga. I hope you enjoy it and can use it for a handicapping angle. You can read more of my articles at bobschless.wordpress.com.

http://bobschless.wordpress.com/2014/08 ... ul-stakes/

Hi Bob,
Nice, informative article and it should be an interesting race. This was once the premier race for 2YO's in America and now the race is pretty much meaningless, even taken off the board as a 2YO Kentucky Derby points race. Below are the past performances for The Hopeful Stakes. TJ
http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_viewe ... am3=668648

Bobster
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Bobster » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:54 pm

I'm glad you enjoyed the article TJ and thanks for sending over the past performances. To me the race is just a gauge to see if a horse is ready to move on to the next level of 2-year-old races like the G1 Champagne Stakes and The Breeders' Cup Juvenile. It's too bad that it isn't as prominent of a race as it once well because in my eyes this is a nice group of two-year-olds running in it.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:01 pm

Bobster wrote:I'm glad you enjoyed the article TJ and thanks for sending over the past performances. To me the race is just a gauge to see if a horse is ready to move on to the next level of 2-year-old races like the G1 Champagne Stakes and The Breeders' Cup Juvenile. It's too bad that it isn't as prominent of a race as it once well because in my eyes this is a nice group of two-year-olds running in it.

Hi Bob,
Yes, I understand, the Hopeful's just a building block today...but it was such a great race to look forward to. In those earlier years, all an owner wanted was to be able to win any race at Saratoga. It was such a special time (The August Place to Be) and in those days a much shorter meet. Every owner in the business who had a top 2YO would try to stake their claim to the Kentucky Derby by winning the Hopeful. Today it seems these trainers have a hard time keeping them together as they make that 2-3YO transition. Looking forward to the Champagne and the Remsen, which both now overshadow the glory that once belonged to the Hopeful Stakes. Take a look at the breeding of El Kabeir and Upstart, who could both end up in the Champagne next start. TJ

Bobster
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Bobster » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:46 am

Upstart has some good breeding. A.P. Indy as a 2nd sire with Flatter as a sire (sire Flat Out)-Flatter adds a touch of speed. His dam line has nice class and dam sire line (Touch Gold, Deputy Minister, Vice Regent) gives him plenty of stamina. Can definitely see him doing fine covering more distance. With El Kabeir, His sie Scat Daddy ran well at two and has done well in the breeding shed so far. His second and 3rd sire, Johannesburg and Hennessey performed well at two and are known to produce short distance types. His dam line has a touch of class and dam sire line (Unbridled's Song, Unbridled, and Fappiano) gives off a bit of stamina. He should also be able to compete at classic distances but may have more success in these two year old races at shorter distances. I like Upstart more as a derby contender.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:58 am

Thanks for the breeding evaluation Bob. TJ