Return Of California Chrome and Untapable

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

Return Of California Chrome and Untapable

Postby TJ » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:58 pm

California Chrome and Untapable attempt to make triumphant returns after both being defeated last time, in the most important races of their career's. California Chrome and Untapable both drew poorly at Parx, Chrome on the inside (in the PA Derby) and Untapable on the outside (in the Cotillion). Though both look to have the best credentials, the layoff's and bad post draw's could leave them vulnerable? Below are Entries and Past Performances for both races. TJ

12th Race. Post 5:40PM STAKES The 35th Running of the PENNSYLVANIA DERBY (Grade II)
Purse $1,000,000 Guaranteed 1 1/8 Miles FOR THREE YEAR OLDS.

1 CALIFORNIA CHROME (L) Sherman, A Espinoza, V 124
2 CANDY BOY (L) Sadler, J Rosario, J 122
3 PROTONICO (L) Pletcher, T Castellano, J 122
4 BAYERN (L) Baffert, B Garcia, M 124
5 NOBLE MOON (L) Gyarmati, L Ortiz, Jr., I 122
6 CLASSIC GIACNROLL (L) Guerrero, L Carmouche, K 117
7 TAPITURE (L) Asmussen, S Napravnik, R 122
8 C J'S AWESOME (L) McPeek, K Prado, E 117
http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_viewe ... m3=1933440

11th Race. Post 4:45PM STAKES The 45th Running of the COTILLION STAKES (Grade I)
Purse $1,000,000 Guaranteed 1 1/16 Miles FOR FILLIES THREE YEAR OLDS.

1 CASSATT (L) Jones, J Clark, K 122
2 SWEET REASON (L) Gyarmati, L Ortiz, Jr., I 124
3 HOUSE RULES (L) Jerkens, J Castellano, J 119
4 JOINT RETURN (L) Servis, J.C. Carmouche, K 119
5 VERO AMORE (L) Reid, Jr., R Pennington, F 119
6 LITTLE ALEXIS (L) Vaccarezza, C Rosario, J 119
7 JOJO WARRIOR (L) Baffert, B Garcia, M 122
8 UNTAPABLE (L) Asmussen, S Napravnik, R 124
9 STOPCHARGINGMARIA (L) Pletcher, T Velazquez, J 124
http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_viewe ... m3=1772320

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Re: Return Of California Chrome and Untapable

Postby Georgerz » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:29 am

I think that it's going to be a Tapit double: Tapiture and Untappable.
I like Tapiture to win the Pensylvania Derby, with California Chrome second, as I think this horse needs this race to set him up for the Breeders Classic.
I also like Stopchargingmaria for second in the Cotillion.
Last edited by Georgerz on Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:37 am

The 3 I like all have similar styles - Chrome, Tapiture, and Candy Boy. Chrome may need a race, I think he is vulnerable here. I am giving Candy Boy one last shot, he never really does anything wrong, except run 2nd rather than win. I am hoping he turns the table on CC and Tapiture. I can't ignore Tapiture either. I think Bayern will have some company in CJs Awesome. I am really excited for this race.

Candy Boy
California Chrome
Tapiture

As for the fillies, on her worst day in the spring, Untapable would toy with these girls. Maria has been cleaning up while Untapable was elsewhere, but I don't think she's as good as Untapable. Curious to see those two against each other. I also really like Sweet Reason. The distance may be questionable, but I think she will have some speed to run into.

Untapable
Sweet Reason
Stopchargingmaria

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:50 am

I like a late pick 4 using races 9,10, 11 and 12. In race 9 Page McKenney (4) looks like a single and Fast Anna (6) also looks like a single in the 10th. Untapable (8) and Sweet Reason (2) for the 11th and California Chrome (1) and Tapiture (7) for the 12th, so my ticket will be 4 with 6 with 2,8 with 1,7, at a cost of $8.00 for a $2.00 wager. Good luck to all and may they all have a safe trip.

DDT

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Georgerz » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:55 pm

I read somewhere else that Cassat has made nice progress since her last race, and could be the upset winner of the Cotillion.

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:21 am

Georgerz

She is 3 for 4 lifetime, ran 3rd in her first start. She is from a female family that has produced Dreaming of Anna, Kittens Joy and several other good ones and comes into this off a G3 win. I like her a lot but she will have to really be something special to handle Untapable and Sweet Reason.

DDT

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:15 am

Just saw this about Maria...

Jim Dunleavy @DRFDunleavy
Stopchargingmaria likely to scratch from Cotillion @parxracing and instead run in Beldame @thenyra next week, according to Todd Pletcher.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:44 pm

PA Derby:
California Chrome
Protonico
Candy Boy
Bayern

Cotillion:
Sweet Reason
Little Alexis
Untapable
House Rules

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:52 pm

Untapable held off Sweet Reason by a length after the later broke through the gate before the start. Jo Jo Warrior was third and Little Alexis finished 4th. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:52 pm

Bayern wins easily setting a new track record for the 1 1/8th at Parx, 1:46.4. Finishing 2nd was Tapiture, 3rd was Candy Boy and a dead heat for 4th between Noble Moon and CJ's Awesome. TJ

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:19 am

If Baffert runs this horse at 10f again his licesnce should be taken off him.

This is the type of speed you would breed a Galileo or Montjeu mare to.
Coolmore dont have Danehill Dancer anymore and Fastnet Rock isn't doing it for them - if they had any sense they'd buy this guy - I wont hold me breath. :roll:
Edited by Moderator

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:42 am

I agree with you. He won't be able to do what he has done at 10 furlongs in the Classic against a horse like Moreno. The BC Dirt Mile seems more his type of race....is Goldencents going? That would be a good race.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:07 am

Bayern is starting to remind me of Game On Dude...when the pace and dynamics of the race suit them, they show extraordinary ability. California Chrome was beaten going into the first turn as he was in the Belmont. Notice how Castellano positioned himself alongside, then dropped over on him to box him in. The same tactic Javier employed against CC in the Belmont Stakes when he rode Commissioner.
Sherman has a very bad record returning horses after such a layoff, but as long as Espinoza doesn't have the faith in his horse to take it the field and go on with him, he may never win another race. He got away with that tactic in the Derby and the Preakness, but it won't happen again. Sherman said he will point for the BC Classic and Baffert will decide between the BC Classic or the Dirt Mile....which he has a fees paid berth to either off his Haskell win. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:05 pm

Cree wrote:I agree with you. He won't be able to do what he has done at 10 furlongs in the Classic against a horse like Moreno. The BC Dirt Mile seems more his type of race....is Goldencents going? That would be a good race.

Hi Cree,
Goldencents is following the same route as last season using the Santa Anita Sprint Championship as his final BC prep. His connections are currently undecided between the BC Dirt Mile or the BC Sprint, which they will decide after seeing his performance in the SA Sprint Championship Saturday, October 4th. TJ

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:01 am

TJ its a distance thing with Bayern 9f or less and he has the speed to be a world beater BC dirt mile and you can cash you win bet already.
Edited by Moderator