Wicked Strong, Honor Code and Daredevil Make Returns

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

Wicked Strong, Honor Code and Daredevil Make Returns

Postby TJ » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:03 pm

This Saturday 3YO Daredevil, will make his return to the races in the GR II Swale Stakes. He's been away since Nov.1, 2014 where he never lifted his legs in the BC Juvy. He's training extremely well at Palm Beach Downs, though choosing this race (since the Gotham and Tampa Bay Derby are also run this Saturday) may mean the Derby isn't in his future?
In the older division, Wicked Strong and Honor Code seem well prepped to return to the races while challenging Constitution, who is undefeated over the GP strip and possibly Private Zone winner of the GR I Carter at one mile. Going a flat mile in the GR II Gulfstream Park Handicap, Honor Code away since Nov. 2014 and Wicked Strong away even longer since Sept. 2014, will be the talk of the handicap division if both can come back strong?? Under the handicap conditions Private Zone is the high-weight carrying 122, Constitution 121, Wicked Strong 120 and Honor Code gets in with 116. TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Re: Wicked Strong, Honor Code and Daredevil Make Returns

Postby Cree » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:19 pm

I am really looking forward to the Gulfstream Park Handicap. I have a soft spot for Honor Code, so I am (hoping) looking to him to win.

As for Daredevil, I seem to remember Pletcher saying 7 furlongs was this horse's game? Or maybe I imagined it.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:03 pm

Cree wrote:I am really looking forward to the Gulfstream Park Handicap. I have a soft spot for Honor Code, so I am (hoping) looking to him to win.

As for Daredevil, I seem to remember Pletcher saying 7 furlongs was this horse's game? Or maybe I imagined it.

Hi Cree,
Me too, I thought Honor Code was going to be a super horse....but he had issues that stopped him for a long time. Hopefully he's on the right track now?
Wicked Strong seems to be handling GP surface and the heat better then he did when he was here last year. He's really training better then he ever has, would like to see him run well also. Especially since Jimmy's hall of fame Dad Allen (Chief) Jerkens, is in the hospital. TJ

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... care-in-fl

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:04 pm

Better add Carpe Diem, who will also make his 3YO debut in the Tampa Bay Derby. JV will be riding for Pletcher and this horse may just be the best of his 3YO prospects? JV got off Daredevil to ride this one in the BC Juvy last November while Castellano remains at GP to ride Daredevil and Honor Code. Carpe Diem is training like a good thing at Palm Beach Downs. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:50 pm

Daredevil and Honor Code both away poorly were impressive in their returns. Daredevil unhurried after breaking poorly, slowly made up ground on the runaway winner....but looks as if the race may have taught him something. Wouldn't be surprised to see him look to get some points in a NY Derby prep?
Honor Code broke poorly and to the inside rail...Castellano once again remained patient and ran a hole in the wind through the lane gobbling up his field from some 15 lengths back. Wicked Strong also proved he will be a contender in the Handicap Division this season....he will come back strong after this race.
Carpe Diem ran a very impressive race in winning the Tampa Bay Derby....he certainly looks like Pletcher's best 3YO prospect. TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:54 pm

I agree, I think Carpe Diem is his best 3-year-old. I am also awaiting another race by Far From Over (who beat El Kabeir last time). I am not usually that interested in Pletcher 3-year-olds (too many that race 5 times and retire), but I can make an exception for Carpe Diem (plus, who doesn't like that name?).

Nice to see Honor Code get the win. I love the way he won it, just picked it up and got what needed to be done. Private Zone and Valid are two very game, seasoned horses, I thought they ran great too. I think Honor Code should try the Met Mile.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:58 pm

I would also like to add that Wicked Strong ran a very good race considering he has been off so long. I think he will be a force to reckon with through the year.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:02 pm

Cree wrote:I would also like to add that Wicked Strong ran a very good race considering he has been off so long. I think he will be a force to reckon with through the year.

Hi Cree,
I agree, Jimmy doesn't usually crank them up off a layoff. Neither does Shug for that matter....but I think these two will be tough to handle in the big two turn handicaps coming up later in the year. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:57 pm