The GR II Rebel

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

The GR II Rebel

Postby TJ » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:37 pm

This race is a real big deal with American Pharoah making it to the staring gate. Oaklawn is putting on a very nice card this Saturday with some name horses showing up. PP's below. TJ

10th Race. (C9)Post 6:06PM STAKES
The 55th Running of
THE REBEL (Grade II)
Purse $750,000 Guaranteed 1 1/16 Miles
THREE YEAR OLDS.
1 THE TRUTH OR ELSE (L) S McPeek, K Borel, C 115
2 MADEFROMLUCKY (L) Pletcher, T Velazquez, J 115
3 TIZWONDERFULCREEK (L) R26 Martin, T Quinonez, B 115
4 AMERICAN PHAROAH (L) Baffert, B Espinoza, V 119
5 BOLD CONQUEST (L) S Asmussen, S Santana, Jr., R 115
6 PAID ADMISSION (L) R18 Richard, C Bridgmohan, S 115
7 SAKIMA (L) R26 Moquett, R Vazquez, R 115

http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_viewe ... m3=1591850

TJ
Darley line

Re: The GR II Rebel

Postby TJ » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:03 pm

American Pharoah
The Truth Or Else
Made From Lucky
Bold Conquest

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:45 am

Champ is back and his Derby to lose.
Edited by Moderator

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:46 am

dublino wrote:Champ is back and his Derby to lose.

Hi Dub,
He did look like something special winning the way he did, though it was over a speed favoring sloppy (sealed) track? My concern is his bottom line....his dam never won a race and there's not too much distance in the dam's family. Pioneer of The Nile seems to be a strong influence and could possibly overshadow what the dam is lacking. This race should stamp him as the Derby favorite, now he has to show us if he'll get a mile and a quarter off pops influence alone? The replay is below. TJ

http://www1.drf.com/displayVideo.do?tra ... ountry=USA

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:13 pm

If you also take in account the long layoff, the surgery, the horse he slammed who then won a BC juvenile doing cartwheels its even more impressive.

I'm in love :oops: :oops: :oops:

How high will WinStar jack his sire up to? I can see a six figure covering fee for pioneer next year.
Edited by Moderator

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:25 pm

dublino wrote:If you also take in account the long layoff, the surgery, the horse he slammed who then won a BC juvenile doing cartwheels its even more impressive.

I'm in love :oops: :oops: :oops:

How high will WinStar jack his sire up to? I can see a six figure covering fee for pioneer next year.

Hi Dub,
I think Pioneerof The Nile is one of those sires who improves his dam. I think he calls for an increase in stud fee after seeing some nice 3 YO's in his first 3 crops (American Pharoah, Cairo Prince, Social Inclusion, Midnight Storm and Vinceremos). Yep, Texas Red did win the BC Juvy and I know AP was coming off a long layoff...still worried about stamina on the dams side. That last eight of a mile of the Derby, when you're not bred for it, is like hitting an invisible brick wall. AP looked so powerful throughout and did earn a 100 beyer, let's see how he handles the 1 1/8th in the Arkansas Derby. He will meet a better group and will see how much was taken out of him with that rush to get him back to the races?? If it didn't drain him, he can only come back stronger.....because he wasn't near tight for that race. Texas Red is on a fast track to make the Derby also...he breezed an easy half yesterday after a foot abscess sidelined him for a month after a 2nd in the San Vicente? He will go next in the SA Derby if that abscess keeps quiet. Derby clouds many trainers better judgement and rushing them is the worst of the errors. Let's see what happens now that it's getting so interesting, with a full compliment of decent 3YO's to consider....this is gonna be fun. TJ

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:44 am

I seen vinceremos return the other day at Gulfstream (on YouTube) in an allowance race got a bump and a bad ride look like he needed the race also, hope he comes back to his best also.
Edited by Moderator