On To The Derby

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

Re: On To The Derby

Postby TJ » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:17 am

It's getting close now.....entries for Derby 141 close this morning at 10AM and positions drawn at 5:30 PM...TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:47 am

The Derby field is assembled....the top twenty are in along with also eligible's, Frammento (number 21) and surprise entry Tale Of Verve (22). TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:04 am

Shades of days gone by....Mubtaahij had a 3/8ths blowout today, just 2 days before the Derby. Something we used to see often in another era:>) He went off in 13.1, went the 3/8ths in 37.2 and pulled up a 1/2 in 52.2. Seems like he finished well getting that 1/4 thru the lane in 24.1, then shut down quickly. Just a perfect blowout. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:56 am

Cree wrote:I think they would be crazy to send Stanford in this race. He looks like he would pull a Palace Malice in the Derby (not in a good way!). I think he's a nice colt, but I don't think he's anywhere near some of these horses.

Hi Cree,
It may just come to pass. Pletcher may take Stanford out Friday morning after a discussion with the owners. TJ

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:52 am

American Pharaoh can't win from that draw my money looks good on frosted after that draw.

Mubtahij owner Sheikh Mohammed isn't making the trip to Churchill Downs I think that's a tip in itself.
Edited by Moderator

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:34 am

Stanford is out. Preakness possible? Wonder what changed with him over the last 2 days, or was he always a maybe?

Frammento draws in.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:10 pm

Cree wrote:Stanford is out. Preakness possible? Wonder what changed with him over the last 2 days, or was he always a maybe?

Frammento draws in.

Hi Cree,
I'm not sure, they have been mum concerning the why? Of course they said they will go to the Preakness or Peter Pan instead. Though the scratch does put American Pharoah into post position 17, a slot no horse has ever won the Derby from. Stanford also has common ownership with Carpe Diem and maybe that had something to do with the scratch?? TJ

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:35 pm

TJ wrote:
Cree wrote:Stanford is out. Preakness possible? Wonder what changed with him over the last 2 days, or was he always a maybe?

Frammento draws in.

Hi Cree,
I'm not sure, they have been mum concerning the why? Of course they said they will go to the Preakness or Peter Pan instead. Though the scratch does put American Pharoah into post position 17, a slot no horse has ever won the Derby from. Stanford also has common ownership with Carpe Diem and maybe that had something to do with the scratch?? TJ

I don't like Carpe Diem's post position, Stanford had the better draw. It's a mystery.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:46 pm

I think Carpe Diem is Stonestreet's better chance of winning, even with the bad draw. Maybe they were worried it was too much too soon for Stanford? He was to load first, so maybe they were worried he would freak out? Or maybe he poses a threat to Carpe Diem's chances? Or, maybe he hasn't been training great. I really haven't paid much attention to him, he wasn't one of the ones for me.
It seems strange to go through all of the motions and then scratch like this, if it's not a physical issue.
Admittedly, I am playing the guessing game.

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Fri May 01, 2015 10:29 am

Now El Kabeir is iffy, but the decision won't be made until tomorrow, so Tale of Verve will not draw in if El Kabeir scratches.