Belmont Stakes Probables/Possibles

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Re: Belmont Stakes Probables/Possibles

Postby DDT » Sat May 30, 2015 7:13 am

TJ

Here is my answer to McPeek's tweet

1. The two races were a Maiden and Allowance win.
2. Distance is not the problem, speed is.
3. Irrelevant.
4. A paid workout.
5. True.
6. Irrelevant.
7. True, however it will not make him run any faster.
8. True.
9. True.
10. True.
11. Absolutely true.

DDT

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat May 30, 2015 7:15 am

dublino wrote:Wasn't Secretariats splits 1:14 Frosted has been hitting this mark nearly every workout, for me he is primed and granted a fair track he will win.

I seen an AP work on the bloodhorse his back left leg looks funny - is it an injury or just a strange action?

Hi Dub,
You can't talk about Secretariat's Belmont Stakes in context with any other ever run. What he did was nothing short of phenomenal. The fractions he set were thought to be impossible before he actually did it. Sham was sent to run Secretariat into the ground....expecting he would fold and Sham would go on. That never happened....Sham tried to push Big Red into defeat, instead Sham lost all chance. The first two Fractions were Shams, but Red was right at his throat latch. Here are his Belmont Stakes fractions....we will never see these fractions or final time again in the Belmont Stakes!!!
Times: 1⁄4 mile: :23 3⁄5, 1⁄2 mile: :46 1⁄5, 3⁄4mile: 1:09 1⁄5, 1 mile: 1:34 1⁄5, 1 1⁄4mile: 1:59, 1 1⁄2mile: 2:24
Below watch this amazing race. TJ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V18ui3Rtjz4

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat May 30, 2015 7:50 am

dublino wrote:Wasn't Secretariats splits 1:14 Frosted has been hitting this mark nearly every workout, for me he is primed and granted a fair track he will win.

I seen an AP work on the bloodhorse his back left leg looks funny - is it an injury or just a strange action?

Hi Dub,
Got so caught up talking about Red, forgot to answer your question about AP. What you've noticed I thought I've seen as well. Could be a slight conformation flaw or a hitch behind? I ignore it for two reasons, no one else who's seen him up close has ever mentioned it and it doesn't hamper that stride of his. Were you talking about the video when he jogged?? TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat May 30, 2015 9:09 am

DDT wrote:TJ

Here is my answer to McPeek's tweet

1. The two races were a Maiden and Allowance win.
2. Distance is not the problem, speed is.
3. Irrelevant.
4. A paid workout.
5. True.
6. Irrelevant.
7. True, however it will not make him run any faster.
8. True.
9. True.
10. True.
11. Absolutely true.

DDT

LOL....Yes, both his other contestants Atigun and Sarava ran in stakes, but only Sarava won one, winning the Sir Barton stakes at Pimlico. He too had 2 wins to his credit. Atigun, was a three time winner prior to his Belmont 3rd, beaten two. He ran in Graded stakes but never was a factor. Not the same as Truth or Dare who won two lesser races, though he did run well in some graded stakes. He's like Lukas, once you've pulled off long shot winners in big races, anything goes, you throw away the pp's:>) TJ

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Sat May 30, 2015 12:20 pm

TJ wrote:Hi Dub,
Got so caught up talking about Red, forgot to answer your question about AP. What you've noticed I thought I've seen as well. Could be a slight conformation flaw or a hitch behind? I ignore it for two reasons, no one else who's seen him up close has ever mentioned it and it doesn't hamper that stride of his. Were you talking about the video when he jogged?? TJ

Yes it seems to be very pronounced when he moves slowly - just something to keep an eye on.

I like the horse and was high on him earlier in the year but doubted that he could get 10f, let's not mention he 2 tracks that were set up for him. :twisted:

I hope for the horses sake he is OK, not for the owner or trainer, it looks like a pulled muscle or something or maybe your old eyes playing tricks on you, I haven't figured out my excuse! :wink:

It would be a shame if he broke down or was pulled up in the Belmont.
Edited by Moderator

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Sat May 30, 2015 12:32 pm

dub

I noticed it after the Arkansas Derby and it is very pronounced while he is walking, so much so that it appears like he is tender behind and does not want to put full weight on it. He looks like he is knock kneed behind, if there is such a thing but as TJ said it does not bother him running and that is good enough for me.

DDT

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Sat May 30, 2015 2:54 pm

DDT wrote: it appears like he is tender behind and does not want to put full weight on it

DDT

Let's hope that its his style and its not something being covered up with medication until a breakdown occurs.
Edited by Moderator

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat May 30, 2015 4:36 pm

Hi All,
Just thought some of you would like to read this Lukas Tidbit in CD's newsletter, can't keep that old man or his horse down:>) TJ

MR. Z BACK TO WORK – Calumet Farm’s Mr. Z breezed for the first time since his fifth-place finish in the May 16 Preakness
Stakes (GI). The son of Malibu Moon breezed a half-mile Saturday in :49 for Hall of Fame trainer D. Wayne Lukas. Lukas said on
May 21 that Mr. Z would receive a 30-to-40 day break, but those plans have clearly changed.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat May 30, 2015 4:44 pm

dublino wrote:
TJ wrote:Hi Dub,

Yes it seems to be very pronounced when he moves slowly - just something to keep an eye on.

I like the horse and was high on him earlier in the year but doubted that he could get 10f, let's not mention he 2 tracks that were set up for him. :twisted:

I hope for the horses sake he is OK, not for the owner or trainer, it looks like a pulled muscle or something or maybe your old eyes playing tricks on you, I haven't figured out my excuse! :wink:

It would be a shame if he broke down or was pulled up in the Belmont.

Hi Dub,
This isn't anything recent....he's moved like that for a long time....doubt very much it's a pulled muscle, he wouldn't be nearly as eager to go as he was today. He was looking to roll...he will gallop tomorrow and breeze again Monday....you can't train like that with a horse that's not right going into the Belmont Stakes. TJ

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Sun May 31, 2015 4:49 am

dub

This has bothered me so much that I did a little digging and looked at several videos and noticed that many of the horses demonstrated a similar walking motion behind that we have discussed concerning American Pharoah. I thought it was strange that out of the multitude of owners, trainers and reporters that observe his action on a daily basis, to my knowledge not a single one of them has made any negative comments concerning what we have observed. My conclusion is that his walk must be normal for the thoroughbred. Watching a video is nothing like in person observation, and all observers have continued to voice the opinion that he floats over the ground.

DDT

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun May 31, 2015 7:03 am

Sunday (5/31)
Belmont:
Madefromlucky, Carpe Diem and Materiality all returned to the track after their walk day yesterday. The Pletcher threesome all jogged and stood in the gate before returning to barn 31 at Belmont Park.
Mubtaahij , Tale of Verve walked and Frosted jogged.
Truth or Else galloped.
CD:
American Pharoah galloped an abbreviated mile and 3/8ths in anticipation of his final breeze tomorrow morning.
Keen Ice continues his 2 mile gallops, increasing his pace to a two minute lick from the 1/2 mile pole to the wire. He's very fit.
Saratoga:
Frammento walked today. He's expected to van down to Belmont Park Wednesday.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun May 31, 2015 7:29 am

Hi Dub,
Okay, this is the last thing I have to say about Pharoah's gait...."This horse has a big loose walk and is pretty darn correct," OKAY maybe I didn't say that:>) But that description was given by Taylor Made's Frank Taylor, months prior to the Aug. 2013 Saratoga sale in which Mr. Zayat bought him back because his reserve was not met. The reserve wasn't met because Pharoah bumping his shin just days before the sale. Right in a spot that scared many serious buyers away and that was why Zayat ended up with him. You can actually see how he doesn't step into the same prints made by his front feet as most horses do. He kind of steps out slightly. He was a yearling in the video, so as he grew, that step out kind of gait behind grows larger. I think that is what we are seeing....but what do I know, gotta get to Bingo now, The Queen is going to meet me:>) TJ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAvvaAbtH2A

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun May 31, 2015 8:36 am

Here's a couple videos that, to me are pretty amazing. The way these two (AP and Keen Ice) at CD are being brought into the Belmont Stakes has been impressive to watch. American Pharoah after winning the first two legs of the TC, seems to have thrived on it...he's eager and right there waiting for the riders command. He's such a sensible horse and it's a tribute to him as well as an asset being key components of his makeup, which will....in no small part be key attributes in his ability to win the Belmont Stakes. Keen Ice is really gearing up and continues to look better and better as each day goes by. His overall form or speed figures certainly won't draw you to him....but the way he's training he looks like he's a different horse and in need of the mile and a half. Here are the video's of these two galloping today. Remember, AP is scheduled to breeze tomorrow so he dropped back a bit in his gallop distance...which is the norm prior to a breeze. Yet he jogs like a storm trooper, which for many horses is tough to do usually trying to break into a gallop, because it's easier on them. Not Pharoah....he listens to the commands of his rider and after he realizes he's not going to let him gallop, he puts his all into jogging. Just a great push button ride. Here's the video....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er-9_4F ... e=youtu.be

Here's Keen Ice's 2 mile gallop this morning. He stepped up the final 1/2 mile to a two minute lick (approx. 15 seconds to an eight of a mile)....of note is his amazing lead change as he picks up the pace into the turn. Great exercise boy on this powerful horse. Watch the video at around 5:06-5:15 (?) and you should see that powerful switch going into the turn. Just watch his left front leg at that point and you will see him throw that left lead out like a fighter throwing a quick jab....very impressive, this horse is ready to run big... and if the price is right, I might have to use him in the gimmicks:>) TJ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7n8Aoo ... e=youtu.be

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:06 am

Monday (6/1)
Belmont Park: No official word as yet, but will update when and if they are reported. Listed is what would be expected??
Madefromlucky, Materiality and Frosted should all return to galloping today...no official word as yet?
Carpe Diem......out of the Belmont Stakes.
Tale of Verve due to jog
Truth or Else....he is out of the Belmont Stakes
Mubtaahij due to gallop
CD: light rain falling this morning, track remained fast.
American Pharoah with Martin Garcia on board breezed 5/8ths in 1:00.20. Going off slowly and increased tempo as he went along...his splits were 13, 25, 36.60, 48.60, (1:00.20) he had an extended gallop out going 3/4's in 1:13, 7/8ths in 1:26 and the mile in 1:39.60. Overall an excellent move!
Keen Ice galloped near 2 miles this morning, looked strong and focused. He will breeze tomorrow.
AP and Keen Ice will fly together to Belmont Park tomorrow morning at 10AM.
Saratoga:
Frammento expected to jog.
Last edited by TJ on Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:27 am, edited 6 times in total.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:50 am

Truth or Else has been withdrawn from consideration after he was found to have filling in his ankle. Maybe that's why we haven't heard about what he was up to in his training? TJ