Ohio Derby

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

Ohio Derby

Postby TJ » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:33 am

Some well know names showed up for this $500,000 race for 3YO's. Looks like an evenly matched field of horses. Past performances are below. TJ

8th RACE. (C1) Pst 5:15PM (4:55PM) STAKE
The 81st Running of The Ohio Derby (Listed)
PURSE $500,000 FOR THREE-YEAR-OLDS. 1 1/16 Miles

1 WHISKEY TICKET (L) Baffert, B Pedroza, M 120
2 FAR RIGHT (L) Moquett, R Santana, Jr., R 120
3 THIRTYSILVERPIECES (L) 0 Marshall, K Gonzalez, L 118
4 DIVINING ROD (L) Delacour, A Leparoux, J 120
5 WAR STORY (L) Amoss, T Desormeaux, K 118
6 TENCENDUR (L) Weaver, G Franco, M 118
7 DEKABRIST (L) Dorochenko, G Orm, C 118
8 MR. Z (L) Lukas, D Bravo, J 118
9 BODHISATTVA (L) Corrales, J Espinoza, V 120
Blinkers Off: Tencendur
Blinkers On: War Story

(click on Saturday Ultimate PP's for Whiskey Ticket) http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/briswatc ... ummary.htm

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Re: Ohio Derby

Postby Cree » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:43 am

This is a good race! For some reason I thought Bodhisattva was racing in the Jerome?

Far Right
Divining Rod
Tencendur

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:47 am

Divining Rod
Whiskey Ticket
Far Right

jellac
Grade I Winner

Postby jellac » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:00 am

This IS a good race! Mr Z - if he has recovered from his intense Derby Trail/Derby & Preakness efforts to former form - should keep the front end (Whiskey Ticket) honest, maybe intensely so, setting it up for a dramatic battle to the finish between that front running class of speed/classic capability and quality closer Far Right, expect Diving Rod to be the finish line-up/stretch charge. Questions as to where Tencendur and Pieces of Silver may end up/role they will play in the outcome.

My heart goes to Far Right who is a smaller, but 'trying-est' horse of great heart and ground covering stride, so I will be cheering for his being at/very near the front at the top of the stretch and then pulling steadily away....wouldn't be surprised if Bob Baffert continues his winning roll with Whiskey Ticket/Pedroza up. Also wouldn't be totally surprised to see Mr Z and Lukas win this with an honest all-out run from the getgo if rest of field tries to be too cat and mouse with his early speed front running style.

Lots of scenarioss/lots of options/possibilites -this is a very good betting race for sure and will be fun to watch!

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:04 am

I see Whiskey Ticket, Thirtysilverpieces and Mr. Z making a strong pace early. Mr.Z should take the measure of these by the head of the lane....but that's when the running should just begin. TJ
Tencendur...his race was just too bad in the Derby, he's working very well for underrated trainer and rider, known to put over big prices.
Divining Rod...patiently handled by his connections, ran a solid race in the Preakness, reunites with Leparoux and should appreciate the drop back in distance.
War Story...why they removed the B's in the Derby is a mystery to me. B's back on today along with Kent Desormeaux who handled him well the only time he rode him.
Mr. Z...this guy is loaded with energy, he pushed AP in the Preakness but was found wanting. Yet the early fractions in the Preakness were suicidal and he held on for the last major check finishing 5th. He should control the pace in here, but the track bias favors those that make a run?

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:56 pm

Here's the finish, Mr. Z vindicates Lukas....hangs on and doesn't stop today. TJ
Mr. Z
Tencendur
Divining Rod
War Story

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:47 am

Well good for Mr. Z. I still think he would have come to the forefront sooner had he been with a different trainer.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:39 pm

I don't think he will stay to the "forefront" very long with the way Lukas trains him.
Finally got his 2nd win, took awhile, lots of tough races. I see Lukas bumping him back up to G1 company again. This horse would probably enjoy the G2 and G3 class relief the rest of the year.

Aug27
Allowance Winner

Postby Aug27 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:49 pm

Not to be a contrarian, but I actually think Mr Z will be competitive in future races like perhaps the BC Sprint or Dirt Mile ...
Maybe one of those Grade 1s at 7f at Saratoga?