American Pharoah Update

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

American Pharoah Update

Postby TJ » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:45 pm

As I get bits and pieces concerning AP and his crew I will add to this thread. Any who have updated news or video clips of the Champ please post as well. Make sure you check out both the video's below. The Zayat's pretty well admitted American Pharoah will race next in the Haskell Invitational as long as he's ready to run. TJ

AP was back to the CD track Friday (6/12) for an easy jog, just 6 days after his TC grind. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqN3cMXhZ_o
AP galloped a mile Saturday morning (6/13). Then Saturday night he was paraded on the CD track and in the paddock for all his fans. Of course this did get AP a bit keyed up, even for Mr. Cool as he probably expected he was about to race. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBkczLOmw2c
This evening of cheers, accolades and excitement prompted the Baffert team to walk AP Sunday morning (6/14).
Monday 6/15 AP was out for a mile and three-eights gallop as he awaits his flight Thursday morning (6/18) back to California.

TJ
Darley line

Re: American Pharoah Update

Postby TJ » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:11 am

Here's AP's tentative schedule after his gallop this morning. If any of these plans are altered, will update. TJ
CD:
Tuesday 6/16, American Pharoah galloped early going just under a mile and a half.
Wednesday 6/17, Baffert was asked to gallop at 8:30 tomorrow for a final public appearance, but Baffert declined. He will gallop early and stay away from the limelight. A smart decision considering all the fanfare recently. He needs rest after his TC performance.
Thursday 6/18 American Pharoah will walk the shedrow and board an early flight home to California.

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:02 pm

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:31 pm

geowarrior wrote:Hi TJ

You forgot to mention the Vogue photo shoot.

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/thoroughbred-racing/patient-pharoah-ready-to-be-in-vogue/

Hi Geo,
Thanks...I never even saw this. In my opinion, something like this is a bit over the top. I was glad to see Baffert finally thought of the horse when he denied a final public appearance at CD tomorrow....he's had enough interruption to his well deserved rest. I don't care how easy going AP is...right now he needs to replenish himself, he's a champion racehorse not a trick pony and he deserves a little rest and respect. TJ

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:53 pm

TJ wrote:
geowarrior wrote:Hi TJ

You forgot to mention the Vogue photo shoot.

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/thoroughbred-racing/patient-pharoah-ready-to-be-in-vogue/

Hi Geo,
Thanks...I never even saw this. In my opinion, something like this is a bit over the top. I was glad to see Baffert finally thought of the horse when he denied a final public appearance at CD tomorrow....he's had enough interruption to his well deserved rest. I don't care how easy going AP is...right now he needs to replenish himself, he's a champion racehorse not a trick pony and he deserves a little rest and respect. TJ

True, TJ, but at least they postponed the photo shoot until he had finished his nap. It really is a line that's hard to tread between making him accessible as a Triple Crown winner and protecting him. I can forgive the connections any little errors, and I have to admit I'm looking forward to this coming edition of Vogue!

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:43 pm

Hi Geo,
Maybe so...I guess it's the difference between now and 37 years ago:>) The horse always came first and I know Baffert came up through that same school, or he would have agreed to another open to the public gallop for him tomorrow. At least he got AP away from the limelight the next couple days prior to having to board Tex Sutton's "Air Horse One". TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:19 am

Wednesday (6/17)
It was raining and the track was sloppy this morning at CD, prompting assistant trainer Jimmy Barnes to consider keeping the Champ indoors. A lull in the rain and the pending flight tomorrow reversed that thought and Barnes did send AP out, but just for a one mile jog instead of a gallop. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:34 am

Thursday (6/18)
American Pharoah was on the van 7:30 this AM for his scheduled 8:30 AM flight. Slight delay in scheduled takeoff, they got in the air at 9:04 EDT heading for LA/Ontario International Airport in California. Flight is expected to be 3 hours and 58 minutes. Track the flight. TJ
http://www.suttonforwarding.com/FlightTracker.aspx

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:20 am

He's got some pretty cool wheels waiting for him when he lands.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:06 pm

The Champ arrived at 10 AM PDT a total of 3 hours and 39 minutes in the sky. He's quite the traveler, him and his companion Smokey:>) That's the pretty little pony that was at AP's side wherever he went during his training and shipping. Smokey was a champion reigning horse and Bob Baffert liked him so much, he bought him as a stable pony for his ease of handling and bomb proof personality. Check out the article and video's below. TJ
http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/sports/ ... in-arcadia

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:45 am

TJ wrote:The Champ arrived at 10 AM PDT a total of 3 hours and 39 minutes in the sky. He's quite the traveler, him and his companion Smokey:>) That's the pretty little pony that was at AP's side wherever he went during his training and shipping. Smokey was a champion reigning horse and Bob Baffert liked him so much, he bought him as a stable pony for his ease of handling and bomb proof personality. Check out the article and video's below. TJ
http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/sports/ ... in-arcadia

Also this one from the Bloodhorse about Smokey. http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/92398/pony-smokey-a-loyal-american-pharoah-sidekick

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:08 am

Looks like the Haskell may not be AP's next start after all. Zayat's recent tweet indicated Saratoga is in the lead with possible starts in both The Jim Dandy and Travers Stakes. Monmouth seems to have done nothing as far as a bonus package for the champ to appear. Though they have all ready sold out all their seats on the possibility AP would be there.
Del Mar added a 5 million dollar bonus to lure AP's connections to stay there prior to the BC Classic at Keeneland. No word what Saratoga had offered to move the Spa into the number one next race possibility for American Pharoah? TJ

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:48 am

I thought the Zayats were dead keen to have him race in their home state of New Jersey?

What changed? Is it the relative timing of the races?

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:24 pm

geowarrior wrote:I thought the Zayats were dead keen to have him race in their home state of New Jersey?

What changed? Is it the relative timing of the races?

Hi Geo,
Could just be racetrack politics. They may be looking for Monmouth to sweeten the pot for the Haskell. It's also possible Baffert may want to win the Travers again...it's a race he's had a poor win percentage in, while winning it only once with Point Given in 2001. It's also a far more prestigious race for a TC winner to win...known as the mid-summer Derby and won by so many great 3YO's. Zayat recently said the decision where AP runs next, will be left in Baffert's hands. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:19 pm

The Champ will parade around SA between the 7th and 8th races tomorrow, Saturday 6/27. He did gallop today and will most likely gallop tomorrow as well, before getting all pumped up walking to the paddock, expecting to race tomorrow. TJ