The GR I Haskell Invitational

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

The GR I Haskell Invitational

Postby TJ » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:41 pm

Here's the race we've all been waiting for....and we're not done waiting, while these guys make up their minds where they want to run:>) With the purse structure the way it is, running 2nd or 3rd in the Haskell is almost as good as winning or running 2nd in the Jim Dandy....so I guess they have some cipherin' to do:-). PP's below. TJ
12th RACE. (11) Post 5:52PM PURSE $1,750,000
48th Running
THE WILLIAM HILL HASKELL INVITATIONAL (Grade I)
"Win and You're In Breeders' Cup Classic Division"
3 YO STAKES 1 1/8 MILES
1 UPSTART (L) Violette, Jr., R Bravo, J 118
2 COMPETITIVE EDGE (L) Pletcher, T Smith, M 118
3 NONNA'S BOY (L) Pletcher, T 118
4 AMERICAN PHAROAH (L) Baffert, B Espinoza, V 122
5 MR. JORDAN (L) Plesa, Jr., E Lopez, P 118
6 KEEN ICE (L) Romans, D Desormeaux, K 118
7 TOP CLEARANCE (L) R26 Catalano, W Castellano, A. 118
8 DONTBETWITHBRUNO (L) Pletcher, T 118

Click on the Champ:>)
http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/briswatc ... ummary.htm

Aug27
Allowance Winner

Re: The GR I Haskell Invitational

Postby Aug27 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:25 pm

AP facing, from the rail out:
1 - G2 route 3YO winner
2 - G3 route 3YO winner / Grade 1 sprint 2YO winner
3 - ungraded stakes winner on turf
4 - AP himself ... six G1 wins
5 - G3 route 3YO winner
6 - Maiden 2YO winner
7 - Opt Claiming route 3YO winner
8 - Allowance route 3YO winner

Looks like "easy pickings", to me.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:24 am

Stranger things have happened, but how can he lose? He looks on paper like a man among college boys. :-)

Upstart is a question mark to me with that 3 month break. He is a lovely looking horse and has been working well. I think he is the next best in the race.

Pletcher is throwing some of his random 3-year-olds at this, I am sure to pick up some of that giant cheque. Nonna's Boy? Don'tbetwithbruno? I also think Competitive Edge is a big question. At one point people were thinking HE was the BIG horse. Last race was terrible. Don't know what to make of him.

American Pharoah
Upstart
Mr. Jordan

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:57 am

Upstart is beautiful and remember at the beginning of the year he had the huge Beyer and there was so much buzz about him. I do hope he has recovered from whatever caused him to lose form.

Not much of a challenge for American Pharoah, but you just never know.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:31 am

Nonna's Boy is scratched. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:02 am

American Pharoah: will have to run today as the pace will be contested with the likes of Mr.Jordan and Competitive Edge in the lineup. I expect we will see a very fast time for this renewal of the Haskell Invitational. The Champ gets the edge because the others are in trouble if they go with him and in even more trouble if they don't....he's sittin in the catbird seat:>)
Competitive Edge: I went with him to beat because Mike Smith came in to ride him. On the other side of the coin, JV and Castellano didn't come here to ride him (they may know something we don't?). So the move to Smith may not be that significant. Many times a horse like CE runs a big race going 2 turns for the first time, especially if the riders allow him the lead while trying to conserve their own horse to go the distance?
Upstart: He is a nice horse and his Derby disappointment could be attributed to his getting sick in Florida? Violette isn't the best off a layoff of this length and he could come up short?
Keen Ice: He picks up the services of Kent D who came in from DelMar yesterday and won the Jim Dandy off the bench. Today he will have a couple races prior to the Haskell which will be to his advantage. No doubt the pace will be hot and if it leaves some of these wanting, he could pick up the pieces and could make the 2nd spot if the pace knocks out Competitive Edge, Upstart and Mr. Jordan. TJ

jellac
Grade I Winner

Postby jellac » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:37 pm

Well at 120 pts and ranked 10534th I have a lot of catching up to do...while having such an overwhelming favorite like AP in makes it highly likely to get the points for picking the winner (yes I chose AP for winner)...it won't help me with the point count/ranking relative to everyone else - so this is more like treading water anyway I look at it. God forbid I'm totally wrong on the winner and (necessarily) then on others...I'll be at the absolute bottom of the rankings ( :oops: !!)

I have:

American Pharoah
Competitive Edge
Mr. Jordan
Keen Ice
Upstart
Don'tbetwithbruno
and
Top Clearance

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:58 pm

American Pharoah walked his beat
Keen Ice was 2nd
Upstart 3rd
Competitive Edge was 4th

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:01 pm

That was mighty impressive. He loves being out there. What a horse!

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:44 pm

Cree wrote:That was mighty impressive. He loves being out there. What a horse!

Hi Cree,
He's poetry in motion...he won with speed to spare. He's such an amazing horse and seems like they will never get to the bottom of this guy. I'd have to think this race was his easiest win yet....Espinoza flattered Keen Ice when he started easing him long before the wire. It made Keen Ice look like he was running at him. The way he rode this horse, he had to be told not to push him to beat the clock....still it was among the top 5 fastest Haskell's in the last 25 years. He bounces back so well out of his races, I believe they will run him back in the Travers. TJ
Here's the replay... http://www1.drf.com/displayVideo.do?tra ... ountry=USA

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:21 am

I had to rewatch the race again. I thought Upstart ran a good race off the lay-off and probably got a little tired (and heart-broken) at the end when Pharoah spurted away. You are right about Keen Ice, if you just watch him it looks like he ran a huge race, when in fact Pharoah was geared right down.
What a horse! I can't get over how incredibly efficient his stride is. He really is something to see. He really looks like a horse that loves to be doing what he is doing. Bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, ears forward.
I hope the Travers is next, then the older horses. Would be nice to see him run in California one more time (the Awesome Again?). Keeping my fingers and toes crossed for the BC Classic. I don't think there is an older horse out there that can beat him in this current year.

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Postby skeenan » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:26 am

I can't add anything about AP that hasn't been said already... he is so fluid and such a picture of mechanical efficiency and beauty. His personality is stellar, too... I know I'm in love with this horse. :D I can't wait until the Breeders Cup... hoping and praying he continues to train well & stays healthy. That's going to be some race...

Anyone know if the grey horse, Mr. Jordan, is OK? It looked like he was being pulled up on the backstretch. They cut the coverage before I could see if he finished or not.

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:14 am

I didn't do well in the competition (100 points). My principal mistake was in thinking Mr. Jordan would finish higher. He sure did drop back quickly and I also wondered if he was ok.

jellac
Grade I Winner

Postby jellac » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:19 pm

Geowarrior, Others -

AMERICAN PHAROAH - I just LOVE to watch this superbly made, quintessentially fit and mentally 'totally together' horse do his thing: the smooth efficiency of his stride, the determined purposeful aspect of his being - his sheer presence made The 2016 Haskell an experience for all present and those of us watching from afar.

I obviously thought Mr. Jordan would finish better as well - any word on how he came out of the race? Upstart ran better than I thought he would and Keen Ice ran back to his earlier promise which is encouraging to see - he just ran into a Triple Crown winner...and they are racehorses of rare ability.

Thought that the only pick I got right in the Haskell was American Pharoah to win...and checked the Fantasy Game site to see that I now have 270 points and moved up to rank 6830th ( :shock: !) Is that even possible or is the ranking skewed by lots of folks not playing this race who had previously entered? I'm confused...sure did not even get close enough to think I had even a sniff of those Breeders Cup tickets.....

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:51 pm

jellac wrote:Geowarrior, Others -
Thought that the only pick I got right in the Haskell was American Pharoah to win...and checked the Fantasy Game site to see that I now have 270 points and moved up to rank 6830th ( :shock: !) Is that even possible or is the ranking skewed by lots of folks not playing this race who had previously entered? I'm confused...sure did not even get close enough to think I had even a sniff of those Breeders Cup tickets.....

Hi Jellac,
I don't know how they figure the points either? I entered late and played the last three and I'm in 3274th place with 450 points. What is the percentile number mean, do you know? The good news is we're back in it again Saturday with the Whitney and 3 weeks later with the Travers....sure hope AP runs in the Travers, at least I'll get 100 points:>) TJ