The GR II Jim Dandy

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

The GR II Jim Dandy

Postby TJ » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:53 pm

A couple surprises turned up in the entry box for this years renewal of the Jim Dandy Stake. Competitive Edge and Tekton, who were both expected to run in Sunday's Haskell Invitational...could just be checking the water and might still enter Sunday? If Competitive Edge runs, he will change the entire pace scenario. Here's the entries and past performances. TJ

10th Race. (C10) Approx Post 6:13PM STAKES
THE JIM DANDY
Grade II - $600,000
Purse $600,000 (Up to $52,000 NYSBFOA) One Mile And One Furlong
FOR THREE YEAR OLDS.
1 Frammento(L) Ch.c.3 117 Lezcano, J Mossarosa Zito, Nicholas
2 Japan(L) Dk B/ Br.c.3 117 Alvarado, J Schwartz, B Mott, William
3 Texas Red(L) B.c.3 119 Desormeaux, K Brehm, E Desormeaux, J.
4 Upstart(L) Dk B/ Br.r.3 121 Ortiz, Jr., I Evans, R Violette, Jr., Richard
5 Competitive Edge(L) B.c.3 119 Velazquez, J Nancy Favreau K Psoinos LLC Pletcher, Todd
6 Tekton(L) B.c.3 117 Cintron, A Shortleaf Stable Dutrow, Anthony
7 Frosted(L) Gr/ro.c.3 123 Rosario, J Godolphin Stable McLaughlin, Kiaran

Click on Frosted:
http://www.kiaranmclaughlinracing.com/t ... risnet.cfm

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Re: The GR II Jim Dandy

Postby Cree » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:54 am

This is a nice bunch of horses! I am going to wait and see if any scratch before I pick anything. Will be curious to see if Upstart bounces back after his break, maybe will need a race? Texas Red has looked like a beast training there. And, I like this new up and comer, Japan. Very intriguing race.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:58 pm

Cree wrote:This is a nice bunch of horses! I am going to wait and see if any scratch before I pick anything. Will be curious to see if Upstart bounces back after his break, maybe will need a race? Texas Red has looked like a beast training there. And, I like this new up and comer, Japan. Very intriguing race.

Hi Cree,
Violette is very pleased with Upstart and says he expects a big race from him. As of today both Upstart and Competitive Edge are expected to run in the Haskell thanks to the purse bump, from 1 million to 1.75 million. The Jim Dandy is just a trifling $600,000:>) TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:27 am

Without Upstart or Competitive Edge in this race (I think I just read Competitive Edge is going to the Haskell), it comes up a little lighter.
Is Tekton going in the Curlin? I thought I saw that too.

I don't know if Texas Red will get something to run at here. He has looked incredible training at Saratoga. He still seems to make a run even if he doesn't have a lot of speed, so I think he picks up a cheque somewhere.

Frosted
Japan
Texas Red

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:58 am

I love Frosted, Japan and Texas Red - even with any scratches this is a great line up.

Frosted
Texas Red
Japan

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:06 am

Tekton will scratch, he runs today in the Curlin Stake at Saratoga. Stanford will also run in the same race. Throw in Smart Transition and box the triple:>) TJ

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:13 pm

Not a great run by Stanford - but well done on Smart Transition and Tekton, TJ. Hope you boxed the exacta also!

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:27 pm

geowarrior wrote:Not a great run by Stanford - but well done on Smart Transition and Tekton, TJ. Hope you boxed the exacta also!

Hi Geo,
I threw out Stanford...he didn't look good today and the rider was off of him going to the post. Didn't know why, so I gave him the boot. Smart Transition was very impressive....Sheriffs is his trainer and he's really taken his time with this one. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the Travers. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:40 am

Upstart, Competitive Edge and Tekton have all been scratched leaving a small but solid field of 3YO's. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:40 pm

Can't get excited about this race with all the scratches, hopefully I'll get excited watching it :>) Kent Desormeaux is at a disadvantage coming here without having another mount all day. Tough to come into a big race cold, without a prior mount. I'm looking for a little value and it won't be found with Frosted, Japan or Texas Red. That leaves Frammento who trained up here most of the year. I like the switch to Lezcano, he fits a closer like this very well. I will play exacta's using Frammento top and bottom....after all it is Saratoga, the graveyard of favorites:>) TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:33 pm

No real surprise. The Breeders Cup Juvy winner Texas Red 9/5 is back beating Frosted by a head at 3/5....further back the pace setter Japan and Frammento finished last:>) Good job by Kent off the bench. TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:34 pm

I do hope so much to see American Pharoah and Texas Red in the Travers.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:26 pm

Cree wrote:I do hope so much to see American Pharoah and Texas Red in the Travers.

Hi Cree,
Yes it would be nice to see these two hook up. I think it will rely on AP's performance tomorrow....if he wins big and the race takes nothing out of him, he will most likely run back in the Travers?? Looking forward to tomorrow's race...I'm holding off my picks, expecting one or two of Pletchers to scratch....or maybe some others who finally come to their senses:>)
Frosted ran well, but was at a disadvantage going a mile and a furlong from off the pace. Pletcher might have a new runner for the Travers....he unleashed a running 3YO maiden yesterday named Gangster. Keep an eye on this one....reminds me of Graydar, showing up late to the show, but was brilliant in quickly earning blacktype. Not so sure he's 100%, but he can run. His time going a mile and an eight was faster then Smart Transition who won the Curlin Stakes. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:27 pm

Hey Geo,
Good pick...now do that in the Haskell so you can go to the BC:>) TJ

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:16 am

No trip to the BC this time, TJ, have to try again on the next one. :(

It was nice to see Texas Red come back, I've always liked him.