The GR I Whitney Stakes

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

The GR I Whitney Stakes

Postby TJ » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:29 pm

Will update (trainers and jockeys) when the overnight comes out tomorrow for this Saturday at the Spa. The past performances will also be released then and posted. Take Charge Brandi will also make her return to the races in the GR I Test Stakes going 7/8ths. Will post the entries and pp's for the Test as well. TJ

1. Honor Code – 3/1

2. Tonalist, – 4/1

3. Noble Bird – 5/1

4. Liam’s Map – 6/1

5. Moreno – 12/1

6. V. E. Day – 8/1

7. Lea – 9/2

8. Coach Inge – 15/1

9. Wicked Strong – 20/1

10. Normandy Invasion – 30/1

TJ
Darley line

Re: The GR I Whitney Stakes

Postby TJ » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:27 pm

Here's the entries and pp's. TJ

9th Race. (C10) Approx Post 5:46PM STAKES
THE GR I WHITNEY
"Win and You're In Breeders' Cup Classic Division"
Purse $1,250,000 (Up to $60,000 NYSBFOA) One Mile And One Furlong
FOR THREE YEAR OLDS AND UPWARD.
1 Honor Code(L) Dk B/ Br.r.4 124 Castellano, J Lane's End Racing McGaughey III, Claude
2 Tonalist(L) B.c.4 124 Velazquez, J Evans, R Clement, Christophe
3 Noble Bird(L) Ch.c.4 124 Bridgmohan, S Oxley, J Casse, Mark
4 Liam's Map(L) Gr/ro.c.4 117 Smith, M Teresa Viola Racing Stables Pletcher, Todd
5 Moreno(L) B.g.5 124 Velasquez, C Southern Equine Stables Guillot, Eric
6 V. E. Day(L) Ch.c.4 124 Alvarado, J Bryant, M Jerkens, James
7 Lea(L) Ch.h.6 124 Rosario, J Dilschneider, A Mott, William
8 Coach Inge(L) B.g.4 121 Ortiz, Jr., I Repole Stable Pletcher, Todd
9 Wicked Strong(L) B.c.4 124 Saez, L Centennial Farms Jerkens, James
10 Normandy Invasion(L) B.h.5 117 Clark, K Fox Hill Farm Jones, J.

Scroll to Coach Inge: http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/briswatc ... mmary.html

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:19 am

This race lineup is exciting.

Tonalist
Lea
Honor Code

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:12 pm

Cree wrote:This race lineup is exciting.

Tonalist
Lea
Honor Code

Hi Cree,
I agree, it's a great race and it will answer the distance question for one of my favorite horses, Honor Code. I do hope he can go the distance, if he does....he will really bring some heat to the BC Classic with his furious late rally. I'm still spinning, trying to pick this race in order in this BC contest:>)....I'm afraid we'll never see those BC tickets :cry: TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:21 pm

Tonalist
Honor Code
Wicked Strong
V.E. Day

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:22 pm

Tonalist
Noble Bird
Lea

What kind of wonderful race is this where Wicked Strong is 20/1 on the Morning Line?

TJ, I think the only fantasy game points I'll be getting on this one are those mystery points we get "just for trying".

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:40 pm

So here's my order of finish for the game:
Tonalist, Noble Bird, Lea, Coach Inge, VE Day, Honor Code, Liam's Map, Wicked Strong, Moreno, Normandy Invasion.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:04 am

geowarrior wrote:So here's my order of finish for the game:
Tonalist, Noble Bird, Lea, Coach Inge, VE Day, Honor Code, Liam's Map, Wicked Strong, Moreno, Normandy Invasion.

Hi Geo,
Yes just finished that up...Tonalist, Honor Code, Wicked Strong V.E. Day, Lea, Noble Bird, Coach Inge, Normandy Invasion, Liam's Map, Moreno.
I'm going to watch the races and see how the track is playing. The inside is normally the place to be with the ability to be close to the pace. It's seldom when a horse comes from far out of it at a mile and a furlong at Saratoga. With that in mind, I went completely off the grid, using a couple deep closers near the top. Moreno's trainer made a comment, if you are in front of me you won't win, so with that I expect a hot pace up front and that's why I looked to put the speed further back. That being said, if the track is biased to speed, I will most likely have to juggle my picks. Will post if I do? Good Luck today and root for "mystery points":>) TJ

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:50 am

If Honor Code's maiden breaker over the track is any indication of how he will handle the footing and if he runs anywhere close to that 1:33 mile in his most recent try, he will be flying late and should get the money. The 1 post could be a concern but he will be dropping back so I do not think it will be trouble. A whole lot of "ifs" but my money will be on him, and I expect a slight heart attack while watching it. May they all have a safe trip. Good luck to all.

DDT

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:54 am

DDT wrote:If Honor Code's maiden breaker over the track is any indication of how he will handle the footing and if he runs anywhere close to that 1:33 mile in his most recent try, he will be flying late and should get the money. The 1 post could be a concern but he will be dropping back so I do not think it will be trouble. A whole lot of "ifs" but my money will be on him, and I expect a slight heart attack while watching it. May they all have a safe trip. Good luck to all.

DDT

Hi DDT,
I wasn't as daring as you:>) I was afraid of his ability to make the same run around 2 turns that he has done around 1 turn? Although I was encouraged to see today, in the only 1 1/8th mile race on the card other than the Whitney...the winner came from dead last at the top of the lane. They were running fast fractions in front and none of the front runners hit the board. I went with Tonalist because he can handle 2 turns and has been ridden terribly in his last two races....I thought Clement should have taken JV off and put back Rosario? Anyway, I won't leave him out in the top spot:>) TJ

jellac
Grade I Winner

Postby jellac » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:30 am

Got distracted and almost missed getting to pick 'order of finish' for this race in the "Fantasy" series....here goes for doing it on the fly:

Honor Code to win - am betting he'll be able to make that late sweeping move from last/near last to win again as he did in his last race. Tonalist will try to sit off his flank after both drop back at the start but Tonalist will not be able to sustain his late charge with that amazing turn of foot that Honor Code has.

I picked V.E. Day to be second to a very close Wicked Strong running third, Lea in fourth;

then Tonalist, Noble Bird, Moreno, Normandy Invasion and last Liam's Map

Coach Inge seems to have been dropped from the line-up of available picks today - is he scratched?

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:32 pm

Hi Jellac,
Yes he was scratched....good luck in the contest!. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:54 pm

Good one..Jellac and DDT. Great Race!. Honor Code will make the BC Classic interesting. TJ
Honor Code
Liam's Map
Tonalist
Wicked Strong

jellac
Grade I Winner

Postby jellac » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:01 pm

Well Liam's Map almost gave me a heart attack....continuing on strongly after setting a very fast pace from the start....and I had picked him '...last'.... :oops:

Honor Code saved my bacon and ran his with the full on verve of his incredible closing speed. (Thank you Honor Code!)

Tonalist proved to have more 'stay' in his late charge than I had thought he would...

Have to give huge respects to Liam's Map - he was fast early, stayed fast and finished fast and strong, just getting a run down in the last steps. I was impressed by him today. (I promise that I will never pick him to finish last again!)

That was a really good race - what was the final time?

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Postby Patuxet » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:49 pm

Terrific race! Reminded me of the kind of racing I took for granted half a century ago.
"He is pure air and fire and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him; he is indeed a horse ..." Wm. Shakespeare - Henry V