A Sneak Peek at The Travers

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

A Sneak Peek at The Travers

Postby TJ » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:20 pm

Now that we know American Pharoah is boarding a plane Wednesday so he won't be late to run in the Travers, lets see the way it shapes up. The big question mark is Upstart whose trainer Ricky Violette said won't race in the Travers, if AP comes to town. Personally I think he will be overruled by his owners. No reason not to run, he was just a short horse in the Haskell and worked real good up here the other day?
Unfortunately Japan was injured (fractured sesamoid) in his final breeze for the Travers and will most like be retired...so he is definitely out. Here's the way it looks so far barring any last minute change of heart....listed with their most recent and possibly final breeze for the Travers. TJ

American Pharoah...8/23, Worked 7/8ths in 1:23.20 (1/2) at Del Mar
Texas Red...8/22, Worked 3/4's in 1:13.30 (1/4) over the Saratoga Main Track
Frosted...8/20, Worked 5/8ths in 59.59 (1/20) over the Saratoga Main Track
Upstart...8/22, Worked 5/8ths in 59.05 (2/43) over Saratoga's Main Track...I think his owners will run him??
Keen Ice...8/22, Worked 5/8ths in 1:00.80 (15/43) over the Saratoga Main Track
Smart Transition...8/23, Worked 5/8ths in 58.55 (1/43) over the Saratoga Main Track
Tale of Verve...8/22, Worked a 1/2 mile in 48.48 (31/96) over Saratoga's Main Track
Madefromlucky...WILL NOT RUN, the PA Derby is his next target
Frammento...8/22, Worked a 1/2 in 49.11 (5/49) over the training Track at Saratoga (Oklahoma)
Face of Winner and Gangster...two very outside possibilities?

TJ
Darley line

Re: A Sneak Peek at The Travers

Postby TJ » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:37 pm

American Pharoah has been installed the 1-5 favorite for the Travers. Here's the official field in post position order, jockeys and program odds for the 146th running of the 1.6 Million Dollar GR I Travers Stakes. There is strong speculation that Upstart will scratch off the program. That will move all horses in one post position putting American Pharoah on the rail. Past Performances will be out tomorrow late afternoon. Will post then. TJ

1. Upstart 15-1 and Irad Ortiz Jr.
2. American Pharoah 1-5 and Victor Espinoza
3. Mid Ocean 50-1 and Manny Franco
4. Texas Red 8-1 and Kent Desormeaux
5. Frammento 30-1 and Jose Ortiz
6. Frosted 6-1 and Joel Rosario
7. Keen Ice 12-1 and Javier Castellano
8. Tale of Verve 30-1 and Gary Stevens
9. King of New York 50-1 and Julien Leparoux
10. Smart Transition 30-1 and John Velazquez

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:17 pm

Saw the other thread before I saw this. In it I was wondering about Upstart as I had thought his connections were not going to put him up against American Pharoah again. I guess I'm not the only one.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:26 pm

geowarrior wrote:Saw the other thread before I saw this. In it I was wondering about Upstart as I had thought his connections were not going to put him up against American Pharoah again. I guess I'm not the only one.

Hi Geo,
Yes, I messed up and forgot to add that to the Racing thread post. Honestly there is no reason for them not to run Upstart in the race....he can only improve off his last race when you consider how long he was off going into the Haskell. Add to that the fact his Derby was basically a non race and he got nothing out of it physically. He can improve drastically if he runs and what's wrong with 2nd money in there anyway? It was up here last year that he won 2 races with hefty beyers? TJ