The GR III Delta Downs Jackpot

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

The GR III Delta Downs Jackpot

Postby TJ » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:31 pm

The One Million Dollar Delta Downs Jackpot for 2YO's is set to go this Saturday at 1 1/16th miles. It is worth a total of 17 Derby points assigned in order (10-4-2-1). Below are the entries and past performances. TJ

7th Race. (C10)Post 4:15PM STAKES
The 13th Running of the $1,000,000 DELTA DOWNS JACKPOT (Grade III)
Purse $1,000,000 Guaranteed 1 1/16 Miles
A STAKES RACE FOR TWO YEAR OLDS.

1 FOREVAMO (L) 10/21 Stall, Jr., A C.J. Hernandez 119
2 MEMORIES OF WINTER (L) 11/16 Margotta, Jr., A Valenzuela, P 117
3 SUNNY RIDGE (L) Servis, J Ortiz, Jr., I 119
4 WHITMORE (L) Moquett, R Albarado, R 117
5 HARLAN PUNCH (L) 10/23 Amoss, T Melancon, G 117
6 TEXAS JAMBALAYA (L) 10/13 Eoff, T Martin, Jr., E 115
7 FOUND MONEY (L) O'Neill, D Gutierrez, M 119
8 COWBOY CLASSIC (L) R11/12 Crane, H Inirio, J 117
9 EXAGGERATOR (L) Desormeaux, J Desormeaux, K 122
10 IRON DOME (L) 10/31 Marshall, K Bourque, S 117
Blinkers On: Harlan Punch
Click on Found Money: http://www.tlore.net/trainers/oneill/public/brisnet.cfm

Aug27
Allowance Winner

Re: The GR III Delta Downs Jackpot

Postby Aug27 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:34 pm

Exaggerator makes the most sense, but I think P Val may put his "magical touch" on display at better odds ...

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:45 am

Sunny Ridge
Found Money
Exaggerator
Whitmore

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:38 pm

Here's the finish:
Exaggerator in a photo over...
Sunny Ridge who held gamely
Harlan Punch 3rd
Found Money 4th

jellac
Grade I Winner

Postby jellac » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:53 pm

I was in attendance for this race (and the earlier part of the program) and after my usual hurried/inadequate evaluation of the Program's PP information was all set to bet Memories of Winter and Sunny Ridge in some kind of exacta, maybe wheel in Exaggerator...?

Then, while standing in line at one of the very few tote machines made available to racing/betting fans in the "grandstand" area, the horses come out of the (indoors) saddling paddock area and stepped onto the track/were handed off to their respective pony rider. I couldn't believe how much smaller Memories of Winter was compared to his fellow 2YOs(!)...AND...more important was his demeanor: he had his ears pinned back throughout the post parade, and was practically sitting back on the lead so that the pony rider seemingly was dragging him along. A more clear picture of reluctance I cannot remember seeing. Looking for a bit of a money play - I quickly ditched my "PVal" factor perspective and went with Exaggerator - opting for the "Desormeaux/Desormeaux" factor.

I couldn't bet Sunny Ridge his odds were so low, but have to say he was visually the most impressive of the 2YOs as they stepped out onto the track. Sunny Ridge was the very picture of athletic readiness - tall, muscular thoroughbred grace and power; light on his feet, eager but not nervous or outside of himself, balanced for and aft, on long well made legs - well nourished, filled out in his barrel, muscling. He seemed more like a 3YO than a 2YO in his appearance. I expect as a maturing 3 YO next year for him to be stretched out in distance as he builds his stamina/endurance for the classic distance races growing into himself and maturing on those long "SongAndAPrayer/Unbridled" legs. He looks the part, running well and almost won this race. Look for him on next year's Derby trail.

Memories of Winter ran the first three quarters of the race as his past performances had indicated he might - with a lot of grit and determination in the pack just back of leaders when he was a much shorter and closer coupled horse. He did not seem hesitant to take up the challenge shortly after the gate and kept after the leaders with determination. However, entering the top of the stretch though it was obvious that the larger, longer legged/longer striding horses being 'set down' for the finish had the advantage or maybe having exerted himself he had nothing left in reserve for the final drive. I hope his spirit was not done in by this experience he seems a good horse who likes to win and wants to compete - is not daunted by his smaller size in the thick of the race.