The GR II Fountain of Youth Stakes

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

The GR II Fountain of Youth Stakes

Postby TJ » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:23 pm

A small but talented field will go postward in this years renewal of the FOY, worth a total of 85 points across the board toward the Derby. Plenty speed on board if all go, so the race will be dictated by pace, post position and distance running ability. Below find the entries and pp's. TJ
12th Race. (C12) Post 5:30PM The 74th Running of
The Fountain of Youth (Grade II)
Purse $400,000 Guaranteed 1 1/16 Miles for THREE YEAR OLDS.
1 FELLOWSHIP (L) '13 C 116 Lezcano, J Jacks or Better Farm, Inc. Gold, S
2 ZULU (L) '13 C 116 Velazquez, J Stonestreet Stables LLC, Magnier, Susan., Tabor, Michael B.and Smith,Derrick Pletcher
3 GOLDEN RAY(S) (L) '13 G 116 Vasquez, M.A. Golden Legacy Stable LLC Rodriguez, J
4 AWESOME SPEED (L) '13 C 120 Ortiz, Jr., I Colts Neck Stables LLC Goldberg, A
5 AWESOME BANNER (L) '13 C 120 Caraballo, J Jacks or Better Farm, Inc. Gold, S
6 MOHAYMEN (L) '13 C 120 Alvarado, J Shadwell Stable McLaughlin, K

Click on Mohaymen: http://www.kiaranmclaughlinracing.com/t ... risnet.cfm

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Re: The GR II Fountain of Youth Stakes

Postby Cree » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:34 am

After seeing such full fields in the Southwest and Risen Star, this is a bit of a letdown for the number of entries. I really wish they would race Greenpointcrusader more than they are planning to. This would be a good fit for him, I think he needed his last.
There has also been a question of whether both Fellowship and Awesome Banner will start, which will really whittle this field down.

I am quite excited to see Awesome Speed, to see where he fits. His pedigree certainly says he is a horse looking for a mile and a quarter. But it's hard not to route for such a handy colt as Mohaymen. I think the outside draw is perfect for him. He's continued to work strongly, so he is my pick here.

Mohaymen
Awesome Speed
Fellowship
Zulu

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:35 pm

Mohayman
Awesome Banner
Zulu

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:21 pm

Gold said Awesome Banner will run. TJ

Mohaymen
Awesome Banner
Zulu
Awesome Speed

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:49 pm

Mohaymen...OK, we have another good 3YO to look forward to. Won with ease!
Zulu...ran well first time around two turns.
Fellowship
Awesome Speed

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:50 pm

Good picks Cree...TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:20 pm

Thanks!
He won with ease, but the rest of them were sputtering at the end. Is he that much better, or are the rest of them underwhelming?
Golden Ray was erratic - please don't enter that horse in the Florida Derby. He knocked Awesome Speed pretty bad at the start.

As of right now, the plan is for Mohaymen and Nyquist to meet in the Florida Derby, correct?

jagger
Grade III Winner

Postby jagger » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:34 pm

Just don't think he can get 10f.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:00 pm

Cree wrote:Thanks!
He won with ease, but the rest of them were sputtering at the end. Is he that much better, or are the rest of them underwhelming?
Golden Ray was erratic - please don't enter that horse in the Florida Derby. He knocked Awesome Speed pretty bad at the start.

As of right now, the plan is for Mohaymen and Nyquist to meet in the Florida Derby, correct?

Hi Cree,
Yes they are supposed to meet, provided all goes well for each of them. I can't say Zulu was sputtering at the finish...possibly overwhelmed with going two turns for the first time, but I though he ran creditably. I think Awesome Banners trainer caught the fever, even if he said repeatedly said he didn't:>) He should have scratched...especially since he showed no works for two weeks, I though something was wrong missing the work and he ran empty for sure. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:22 pm

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:10 pm

I'm starting to think Mohaymen is not a mile and a quarter horse as well, but I thought that last year too.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:32 pm

Cree wrote:I'm starting to think Mohaymen is not a mile and a quarter horse as well, but I thought that last year too.

Hi Cree,
Once again we see a horse that's different from the rest. I agree he gives the impression that he may not be a Derby horse. Yet American Pharoah gave the same impression and we know how that turned out. I'm starting to see more and more a change in our breeding after so many years of breeding for speed. It has finally come to the point where it is allowing us to second guess what we are looking at because distance influences are starting to be less common in today's pedigrees. I know in AP's case it was his amazing style of running that allowed him to propel himself forward with the lightest touch of the ground and the greatest ease. That not only allowed him to outrun his pedigree, it also kept him sound and able to withstand the rigors of a TC campaign. In watching how kindly Mohaymen rated behind all that speed today, he never turned a hair and moved at his riders command to the fore. He never put in a serious turn of foot, but he did what he had to do and then steadily went about his business. This is another horse that has attributes that will allow him to relax when need be and go when asked without undue stress or wasted nervous energy. I believe his style and demeanor will play well for him going forward to the Florida Derby.
I'm also looking forward to next weeks Gotham Stakes when we might just see the 2 Shadwell horses at the top of the Derby points leader-board. Shagaf and Rally Cry will renew their rivalry....but I expect Shagaf might be something special as Chad Brown wanted to run him in the FOY today, but was told to run in the Gotham so Shadwell's top two wouldn't meet till the Derby. With Sunny Ridge, Matt King Coal and My Man Sam probables....it's gonna be another super race. TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:58 am

I agree with everything you have said above.
I remain open-minded to Mohaymen. I think he is a neat little colt - cool as a cucumber. I'm rooting for McLaughlin to get his Derby win. I look forward to the next preps, especially the Florida Derby.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:51 am

Cree wrote:I agree with everything you have said above.
I remain open-minded to Mohaymen. I think he is a neat little colt - cool as a cucumber. I'm rooting for McLaughlin to get his Derby win. I look forward to the next preps, especially the Florida Derby.

Hi Cree,
Glad you agree, I wasn't sure if I was off base with my thinking concerning pedigree's in the 21st century:>) I too always root for McLaughlin, and would like to see him win a Derby, he's certainly one of the good guys on the backstretch. TJ

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:37 pm

I think Mohaymen is more likely to get the 10f than is Nyquist.