Takeittotheedge & The Florida Derby

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

Takeittotheedge & The Florida Derby

Postby TJ » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:27 pm

Takeittotheedge is no doubt playing catch up on the road to Kentucky. Yet he is expected to take a shot this Saturday in the Florida Derby. He was a very impressive winner when he broke his maiden by 7 in his first start. Yes, he will try the likes of Mohaymen and Nyquist...but this boy is bred to go the distance and earned a decent figure in his runaway maiden win.
Here's the expected field for this Saturday's Florida Derby, there could always be a surprise or two by close of entries this Wednesday. TJ

Mohaymen
Nyquist
Takeittotheedge
Fellowship
Majesto
Sawyers Mickey
Fashionable Freddy.
Last edited by TJ on Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Re: Take It To The Edge & The Florida Derby

Postby Cree » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:28 am

Hard to look past the Big Two in here, but I always love an upset - although I don't see that happening. I feel like Nyquist is the likely winner in here, they've sent him here for the $1 million, doesn't make sense not to have him primed and ready. Mohaymen just needs to run a solid race and move forward in my opinion, keep the eye on the May prize :-)

So strange how these races at Gulfstream have had such small fields, while the Oaklawn and Fair Grounds have been full fields.
I'm looking at these other horses in here, and I really like Sawyers Mickey's pedigree.

TJ
Darley line

Re: Take It To The Edge & The Florida Derby

Postby TJ » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:33 am

Cree wrote:Hard to look past the Big Two in here, but I always love an upset - although I don't see that happening. I feel like Nyquist is the likely winner in here, they've sent him here for the $1 million, doesn't make sense not to have him primed and ready. Mohaymen just needs to run a solid race and move forward in my opinion, keep the eye on the May prize :-)

So strange how these races at Gulfstream have had such small fields, while the Oaklawn and Fair Grounds have been full fields.
I'm looking at these other horses in here, and I really like Sawyers Mickey's pedigree.

Hi Cree,
Yes, the fields have not been very large in the big 3YO races at GP. It's also unusual Todd Pletcher doesn't have one in here...but these are probable entries and I guess he could still throw one in come Wednesday:>)
Concerning Takeittotheedge, I may have been a bit biased since I liked him the day he broke his maiden:>) He's going into another time zone against these for sure, but he handled himself so professionally in his first start, I thought he was worth a mention? TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Re: Takeittotheedge & The Florida Derby

Postby Cree » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:06 am

I admit I haven't seen the race, but he sounds promising. Just being up against the "big 2" seems a tough race to go into!!! But there are no sure bets in racing.

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Re: Takeittotheedge & The Florida Derby

Postby skeenan » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:43 am

Between Nyquist and Mohaymen... who's going to beat whom? :D
I know I'm excited to watch this race on Saturday!