The GR I Florida Derby

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

Re: The GR I Florida Derby

Postby TJ » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:11 pm

Cree wrote:This crop is so bizarre. The Beyer numbers have been low and I don't know what to make of them.

I rewatched the race, I thought Majesto ran a pretty good race considering he just broke his maiden. I think you are right and expect we'll see Takeittotheedge down the road.

Hi Cree,
The thing about Majesto was how he got past Nyquist in the gallop out after the wire so quickly. I wish I could see the head on to tell how it was done...I think Castellano was trying to teach the horse something because he kept ducking from the stick and wouldn't sustain his run. He kept goofing off and throwing his ears forward then back...this horse was touted along the way down here as a good thing and he's just now starting to come into his own. If Castellano chooses to ride him in the Derby...I will have to strongly consider him? His trainer isn't as well known as others, but he's a sharp trainer.
Concerning Takeittotheedge, I expect him to return to form quickly...he really had a bad start and Mohaymen kept him parked outside of him into the first turn. Romans had another maiden breaker he put in the Florida Oaks and that one did win the race in her 2nd career start. His barn is starting to come alive and I think we should keep an eye on him when he ships the outfit to Keeneland, now that the GP Championship meet ended Sunday (4/3). TJ

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:21 am

dublino wrote:Strange decision with Nyquist to ship to florida for a $1m bonus, shows how cheap the owner is.

Nyquist won. I don't think it was that strange a decision.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:22 am

All of this just tells me that going longer Swipe may be the horse to beat if he can ever get back to the races.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:07 pm

geowarrior wrote:All of this just tells me that going longer Swipe may be the horse to beat if he can ever get back to the races.

Hi Geo,
He's cutting it pretty close, but he's been in serious training since the end of February? If he's gonna have a chance, he should show up for the Arkansas Derby to get some serious points. But even that will be cutting it close from a fitness aspect. He only has 12 points and will need quite a bit more if he expects to get in the Derby field. He might be one of those who show up for the wildcard race, the Lexington Stakes, for an easy win and 10 points that could possibly get him in the Derby with 22 points?? TJ

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Postby skeenan » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:58 am

Cree wrote:I don't know if I'd put Nyquist in the same league as Pharoah (yet?), but he's definitely got heart.

No, I'm DEFINITELY not comparing Nyquist to AP at all, or even speculating about the Triple Crown. I'll say "yet", also. Those are some pretty big shoes to fill, no pun intended... just wondering about his running style. :D

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:20 pm

madelyn wrote:
dublino wrote:Strange decision with Nyquist to ship to florida for a $1m bonus, shows how cheap the owner is.

Well for someone who is worth $300m going for a $1m dollar bonus is cheap, in any rational persons mind.

Think of the money he is making out of the game, with I'll have another and his stallion in Cali standing for $25,000
Edited by Moderator

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:03 pm

dublino wrote:
madelyn wrote:

Well for someone who is worth $300m going for a $1m dollar bonus is cheap, in any rational persons mind.

Think of the money he is making out of the game, with I'll have another and his stallion in Cali standing for $25,000

Hi Dub,
There were reasons behind the move, but O'Neil's brother is the brains behind picking out the 2 YO's at the Florida sales. He picked up a number of good horses for Reddam and his brother, including I'll Have Another and of course Nyquist. Since they do frequent the sale every year, just seemed logical to bring him in for the added bonus offered this season by Fasig Tipton. But the main reason was they wanted Nyquist on the east coast to get his Derby preparation at Keeneland. The reasoning behind the move east was they get a lot of rain at home this time of year and being at Keeneland, they won't have to worry about "bad track" interruptions in Nyquist's Derby training. Fact is he can't miss a beat, having just two preps going into the Derby and one of them only 7/8ths of a mile. Now before you say it, yes it does rain at Keeneland:>)... but Keeneland also has a synthetic training track so his training should go smoothly and without any interuptions. TJ