The GR I Preakness

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Re: The GR I Preakness

Postby Cree » Sat May 21, 2016 1:40 pm

Maybe having a TC winner last year satisfied our need? Or, maybe this crop isn't incredibly inspiring - they haven't really lit the world on fire this year (at least the sophomore males). Pletcher doesn't even have any real standouts (yet?). They've been pretty even keel.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat May 21, 2016 2:12 pm

Aug27 wrote:Gee, TJ, I thought maybe that was your bet! :)

Hi Aug,
LOL...no not my style, I bet a little and try to win a lot...bettin a lot to win a little doesn't work when there isn't enough backup money:>) Looking forward to see if the odds leveled off...Ned said his horse is a freak and he all ready won a race on the card...might have to take another look:>) TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat May 21, 2016 2:19 pm

Cree wrote:Maybe having a TC winner last year satisfied our need? Or, maybe this crop isn't incredibly inspiring - they haven't really lit the world on fire this year (at least the sophomore males). Pletcher doesn't even have any real standouts (yet?). They've been pretty even keel.

Hi Cree,
I don't know...really has me wondering about the industry in general. I like the fact that this group of 3 YO's have made their engagements and we've had far fewer scratches leading into these races then in previous years. At the very least, they seem to be a solid, sound group. Guess Nyquist just needed that one shot of the shockwave to hold together:>) The track is rather slow at Pimlico, so I don't think we'll see anything exciting this year in breaking the sound barrier. But if they all get through the race sound and healthy that will be good enough. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat May 21, 2016 3:58 pm

Here's the finish:
Exaggerator...5th time was the charm.
Cherry Wine...up for the place.
Nyquist...came up empty after getting involved in the speed dual.
Stradivari...finished 4th

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat May 21, 2016 4:03 pm

Hi Cree,
You had that pace figured out perfectly and handicapped it spot on 1-2-3-4....Great job Cree!!! TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sat May 21, 2016 4:47 pm

Nice win! Exaggerator sure likes the mud, he's sure a handsome looking horse.
Not a great ride by Guiterrez, who did he think he was riding?

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Sat May 21, 2016 6:19 pm

Joltman wrote:Well, I'll toss in my 2 cents - Lani will be closer and will look eye to eye with Nyquist at the 16th pole. I think he gets him, as there is tons of pace and everyone will be scrambling on the first turn with Nyquist trying to hold position from his inside post.

jm

Well, it wasn't Lani - but Exagerator - but being closer, tons of pace, Nyquist holding postion, and 'getting him' was on the money, just not my mine. Story of my life. Japanese connections need to use an American rider in these races - til Take can get with the scheme of things. If Lani races in the Belmont, he'll finally hit the board, but Suddenbreakingnews will be fresh and ready and can run forever.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat May 21, 2016 6:39 pm

Joltman wrote:
Joltman wrote:Well, I'll toss in my 2 cents - Lani will be closer and will look eye to eye with Nyquist at the 16th pole. I think he gets him, as there is tons of pace and everyone will be scrambling on the first turn with Nyquist trying to hold position from his inside post.

jm

Well, it wasn't Lani - but Exagerator - but being closer, tons of pace, Nyquist holding postion, and 'getting him' was on the money, just not my mine. Story of my life. Japanese connections need to use an American rider in these races - til Take can get with the scheme of things. If Lani races in the Belmont, he'll finally hit the board, but Suddenbreakingnews will be fresh and ready and can run forever.

jm

Hi Jolt,
It was good to have your input. Hope you'll come back and do it again with us, the more the merrier:>) Lani ran a pretty good race...closed a lot of ground after another poor start. Lani is stabled at Belmont Park and he is scheduled to race next in the Belmont Stakes. TJ

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Postby skeenan » Sat May 21, 2016 6:52 pm

Well, not going to lie, was disappointed. Not just because it kills the chance of a Triple Crown, but bummed to see his perfect record marred. I didn't think he got the trip he needed, unfortunately. Yes, I know it had to happen, sooner or later. Oh well! I guess it just reinforces what AP accomplished last year was something really special...

So, what would you do, if you owned Nyquist? Is it worth going on to the Belmont (where he'll face fresh competition), or rest up and aim for a different race?

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sat May 21, 2016 10:46 pm

Lani finished 5th, in front of all the horses who were going nowhere/cooked - he closed belatedly on a shorter stretch, and passed a bunch of horses that were done. I wouldn't say he ran a stand out race, someone had to finish 5th.
Typically the Belmont is won on the front end, or close to it and does not set up for a closer (perfect example last year). Any of these horses that come from way out of it (including Suddenbreakingnews) will have to get more involved earlier.

Makes no sense to run Nyquist in the Belmont. I don't think he wants to go that far, give the colt a short rest and send him to the Haskell. That is the type of race he is meant for.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun May 22, 2016 6:03 am

skeenan wrote:Well, not going to lie, was disappointed. Not just because it kills the chance of a Triple Crown, but bummed to see his perfect record marred. I didn't think he got the trip he needed, unfortunately. Yes, I know it had to happen, sooner or later. Oh well! I guess it just reinforces what AP accomplished last year was something really special...

So, what would you do, if you owned Nyquist? Is it worth going on to the Belmont (where he'll face fresh competition), or rest up and aim for a different race?

Hi Skeenan,
I think we're always disappointed when we don't have a TC possibility heading into the Belmont. The bad news is there has been such little interest so far this year in the TC races (at least here on PQ) the Belmont might be forgotten before it's run:>) Once they posted that first 1/4 mile in 22.1, the race was over for Nyquist. That was the worst ride I ever saw anyone put up in the Preakness. To go head to head with a horse like Uncle Lino, who always quits made no sense...I think the blame falls squarely on Mario Gutierrez and this loss could send him on another trip to his sports psychologist. Looked like the sit chilly rider had a panic attack. That being said, Nyquist still tried very hard considering his early speed dual, he lugging in badly, he raced over a track he's never run over before, the race itself was loaded with speed (there was little speed in the Derby), he was coming back off 2 weeks rest with just jogging and galloping every other day to build his wind?....all this could have played a part in his loss. Whether he runs in the Belmont is a decision that must be made considering many factors...the other speed that will show up (as we saw if he gets in a dual, he gates beat), his stud duty deal with Darley and if that lugging in had anything to do with his soundness...might be in need of another shock-wave treatment? If the decision is made to keep him running after the TC races, I would pass the Belmont Stakes, give him a little time off and run him in the Jim Dandy, Travers and BC Classic. Though they may consider doing the SA route since he is stabled on the West Coast...but the Travers is known as the Mid-Summer Derby and a pretigious race to win when heading to the breeding shed. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun May 22, 2016 6:27 am

Cree wrote:Lani finished 5th, in front of all the horses who were going nowhere/cooked - he closed belatedly on a shorter stretch, and passed a bunch of horses that were done. I wouldn't say he ran a stand out race, someone had to finish 5th.
Typically the Belmont is won on the front end, or close to it and does not set up for a closer (perfect example last year). Any of these horses that come from way out of it (including Suddenbreakingnews) will have to get more involved earlier.

Makes no sense to run Nyquist in the Belmont. I don't think he wants to go that far, give the colt a short rest and send him to the Haskell. That is the type of race he is meant for.

Hi Cree,
I certainly agree, speed is an important factor in the Belmont Stakes and Lani hasn't show us any yet. Heading into the Belmont Stakes any rider that opts to, could show the way as the fractions are usually slow. I wonder if Lani's rider has been extra tentative with Lani coming out of the gate (in both the Derby and Preakness) as many riders and trainers were fearful of his antics on track in his morning exercise? The rider was always slow to get into stride with Lani and I wonder again, if he's done it on purpose so the field clears him before allowing Lani to run to avoid an accident? "IF" is the key word here, the Belmont fractions will be slower and that in itself will put Lani that much closer to the pace and his run has been consistently well in both the Derby and the Preakness....if the jock urges him a bit sooner the fractions are slow enough that it won't take anything out of him and may put that late run of his to good use in the Belmont Stakes? That being said, the hidden speed does do well in the Belmont Stakes producing nice payoffs, like Da'Tara and Palace Malice. I don't know about anyone else...but I do know our group of posters will be watching the Belmont Stakes with interest...personally I can't wait:>) TJ....PS, that was a great handicapping job in the Preakness!

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sun May 22, 2016 7:36 am

Thanks! Sometimes the racing gods give us gifts.

The Belmont is always my favourite of the 3 races. As it stands right now, both Nyquist and Exaggerator are going to the Belmont.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun May 22, 2016 8:01 am

Cree wrote:Thanks! Sometimes the racing gods give us gifts.

The Belmont is always my favourite of the 3 races. As it stands right now, both Nyquist and Exaggerator are going to the Belmont.

Hi Cree,
I can see Exaggerator going to the Belmont...he's very tractable able to show speed or come from far back in his races. With this ability and his long stride he could be put anywhere the rider asks him to be in the Belmont. Nyquist might step on his breeding trying to go a mile and half? I think they should give Nyquist a break and wait for a mid summer campaign but maybe this rivalry has turned personal? Reddam should have kept his mouth shut with the comment he made about Exaggerator seeing enough of Nyquist. That was bad karma before the Preakness and a deserving defeat after such an arrogant comment. I do hope they both show up for the Belmont...might make for some interesting betting opportunities? TJ

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Postby skeenan » Sun May 22, 2016 8:21 am

Yes, Cree, great job!! :D

I was thinking the Travers, too. Maybe it is personal, as you've said. It is a sort of Secretariat/Sham rivalry (smack talk) so I hope the decision isn't for payback...

Edit: Apparently, we're not alone with that thought:
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... nt-rematch

And agree with your comments, TJ, about Mario. I feel bad, as I'm sure he'll take some heat for that ride yesterday. A lot of things just didn't go their way.

I was impressed with Stradivari, he took a big jump up in class and I thought he held his own, being right there for 4th.