Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes

Postby TJ » Tue May 24, 2016 9:01 am

After spiking that fever he has been removed from consideration for the Belmont Stakes. Personally I think it is a blessing in disguise...just hope this isn't anything serious, since today's blood test revealed a high white blood cell count. This may very well have been brewing since early April at Keeneland when he was also found to have a high WBC count? TJ
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... with-fever

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Re: Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes

Postby skeenan » Wed May 25, 2016 1:10 pm

I agree... I think there are better-suited races for him. I hope he recovers soon, and gets some well-deserved rest. :D
I would like to see him in the Travers, later this summer.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Wed May 25, 2016 1:39 pm

skeenan wrote:I agree... I think there are better-suited races for him. I hope he recovers soon, and gets some well-deserved rest. :D
I would like to see him in the Travers, later this summer.

Hi Skeenan,
If he wants to prove he's a good horse, he has to win the Travers....Exaggerator will be there and so will Mohaymen who is pointing for the Jim Dandy and the Travers. I'm sure Pletcher, Asmussen, and Romans will have a couple looking to run in the Travers also. That's why they call it the Mid-Summer Derby...it's a tough race to win, as proved last August when American Pharoah couldn't get the job done.
The concern is this lingering high WBC count and fever. His sire, Uncle Mo was backing out of his feed tub, had low grade fevers and colic like symptoms and it ruined his career...he was never the same after he made it back from the rare liver disease which caused the symptoms. TJ

Aug27
Allowance Winner

Postby Aug27 » Wed May 25, 2016 5:43 pm

Can over-breeding contribute to a weakened immune system in a sire's progeny?

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu May 26, 2016 7:24 am

Aug27 wrote:Can over-breeding contribute to a weakened immune system in a sire's progeny?

Hi Aug27,
Not knowing very much about genetics, I would think to what extent a sire might (if at all possible) contribute to the weakening of his progeny's immune system, over-breeding would simply increase the number of weakened immune system foals produced and not actually be the cause of it...just a guess? TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:59 pm

Nyquist's bloodwork has returned to normal, he's off antibiotics and will return to the track for the first time tomorrow (Thursday 6/2) at Pimlico since he spiked that fever after the Preakness Stakes. If his return to the track goes well...no relapse or problems, he will fly to California this Sunday June 5th. Story below. TJ
http://www.drf.com/news/nyquist-getting ... california