The 148th Running of The Belmont Stakes

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

The 148th Running of The Belmont Stakes

Postby TJ » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:01 pm

Here are the entries and post positions for the 148th Belmont Stakes. Past performances below. TJ
11th Race. (C11) Approx Post 6:37PM STAKES
THE BELMONT STAKES presented by NYRA Bets Grade I
Purse $1,500,000 (Up to $60,000 NYSBFOA) One Mile And One Half
FOR THREE YEAR OLDS.
1 Governor Malibu(L) Ch.c.3 126 Rosario, J Jump Sucker Stable Clement, Christophe
2 Destin(L) Gr/ro.c.3 126 Castellano, J Twin Creeks Racing Stables Pletcher, Todd
3 Cherry Wine(L) Gr/ro.c.3 126 Lanerie, C Jones, Jr., F Romans, Dale
4 Suddenbreakingnews(L) B.r.3 126 Smith, M Henderson, S Von Hemel, Donnie
5 Stradivari(L) Dk B/ Br.c.3 126 Velazquez, J Tabor, M Pletcher, Todd
6 Gettysburg(L) Gr/ro.c.3 126 Lopez, P WinStar Farm Asmussen, Steven
7 Seeking the Soul(L) B.c.3 126 Geroux, F Fipke, C Stewart, Dallas
8 Forever d'Oro(L) B.c.3 126 Ortiz, J Fipke, C Stewart, Dallas
9 Trojan Nation(L) B.c.3 126 Gryder, A Sones, A Gallagher, Patrick
10 Lani Gr/ro.c.3 126 Take, Y Maeda, K Matsunaga, Mikio
11 Exaggerator(L) Dk B/ Br.c.3 126 Desormeaux, K Big Chief Racing, LLC Desormeaux, J.
12 Brody's Cause(L) B.c.3 126 Saez, L Albaugh Family Stable Romans, Dale
13 Creator(L) Gr/ro.c.3 126 Ortiz, Jr., I WinStar Farm Asmussen, Steven

Click on Destin: http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/briswatc ... ummary.htm

Aug27
Allowance Winner

Re: The 148th Running of The Belmont Stakes

Postby Aug27 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:52 am

Great card for Belmont this Saturday. I predict Suddenbreakingnews will be second favorite, with Mike Smith in the irons. Mike's an excellent judge of pace and I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see him placed much more forwardly than the PPs would suggest. Remember how he wired the Ladies Classic a few years ago with Royal Delta, who never showed front running tendencies before that race? I do not see him in front, with Stradivari in there, but he will be close.
IrDA on Creator is the most logical selection, but he might not offer very good odds.

Always very interested in the nightcap, where Watershed returns. I think Colonel Sharp may turn out to be another Runhappy, at nice odds ...

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:01 am

Aug27 wrote:Great card for Belmont this Saturday. I predict Suddenbreakingnews will be second favorite, with Mike Smith in the irons. Mike's an excellent judge of pace and I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see him placed much more forwardly than the PPs would suggest. Remember how he wired the Ladies Classic a few years ago with Royal Delta, who never showed front running tendencies before that race? I do not see him in front, with Stradivari in there, but he will be close.
IrDA on Creator is the most logical selection, but he might not offer very good odds.

Always very interested in the nightcap, where Watershed returns. I think Colonel Sharp may turn out to be another Runhappy, at nice odds ...

Hi Aug,
Here's the pp's for the nightcap. Don't know if you've been keeping tabs on Runhappy, he was supposed to run in the CD Stakes May 7th, but trainer Wohler's said he has a foot bruise and will miss that engagement. She went on to say they are hoping to make the Met Mile this Saturday at Belmont and that didn't happen...he hasn't even had a published work since March. I hope he will recover and make it back this year? TJ
Click on Two Weeks Off: http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/briswatc ... ummary.htm

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Postby skeenan » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:48 am

What is up with Victor Espinoza not securing a ride for this race? Surprises me, I guess, not to see his name on the list.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:52 am

skeenan wrote:What is up with Victor Espinoza not securing a ride for this race? Surprises me, I guess, not to see his name on the list.

Hi Skeenan,
Unless Victor has a horse he's been riding at his home track (like California Chrome and American Pharoah), being pointed to the Belmont Stakes, not many would look for his services over a track he hasn't done particularly well at or that familiar with. Of course he got the job done with AP thankfully....but going into the Belmont Stakes with California Chrome in 2014, he won just 2 races at Belmont Park in 67 starts. Not a record that would encourage a trainer needing a rider for the Belmont Stakes, to reach out for. TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:31 am

The deep closers I just don't think do well in this race, and in today's there are a few of them: Creator, Brodys Cause, Cherry Wine, Lani, Trojan Nation, Suddenbreakingnews (?).

Exaggerator - I think if he stays closer up he'll be fine, and I also think he's just better than the rest of them.
Govenor Malibu - improving, runs a good race every time, Clement is sneaky.
Suddenbreakingnews - his 5th in the Derby was good considering the trouble he got in.

Woodford -

Flintshire
Ironicus
Big Blue Kitten

Met Mile -

Calculator
Frosted
Anchor Down/Stanford

Ogden Phipps -

Stopchargingmaria - tipped her hand last time? I think she wants to go longer than 7 furlongs
Curalina
Forever Unbridled

Just A Game -

Rainha Da Bateria - I have always liked her, ran a big race against the Beast that is Tepin last time
Recepta
Tapitry

Acorn -

Carina Mia
Cathryn Sophia
Go Maggie Go

Brooklyn -

I'll just be rooting for Shaman Ghost here. :-)

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:36 am

Stradivari...Pletcher won the Belmont Stakes twice in the last 12 years. Individually Pletcher has won 2 and JV won 2 Belmont's during that time period.
Destin...The full brother to Creative Cause ran well in the Derby off an 8 week break. Returns today with Pletcher's preferred 5 week span between races...should run much better.
Lani...Has been training very well at Belmont Park and the Belmont Stakes distance and the big Belmont oval, should be to his liking.
Exaggerator...On paper he looks like the winner, but I'm handicapping his rider. He rode just two horses in the last two days at Belmont Park since he went to rehab, and both were up the track. Today he will sit in the jocks room all day without a listed mount. Hopefully he will pick up a mount or two during the day because sitting in the jocks room all day without riding isn't a good thing?
Seeking The Soul...He could be the hidden speed in here at a very big price...longshot play?
Last edited by TJ on Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jagger
Grade III Winner

Postby jagger » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:10 am

I like Exaggerator, Governor Malibu and Suddenbreakingnews. For the long shot, I think Trojan Nation is the best of the 30-1 horses. Those with no chance are Destin, Cherry Wine, Stradivari, Forever D'Oro, Creator and Gettysburg.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:43 pm

Here's the finish:
Creator
Destin
Lani
Govenor Maiibu

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:05 pm

I thought Creator was a neglected horse so I took a chance on him across the board. I didn't have a very good day otherwise, so thanks Creator!

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:17 pm

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:43 pm

Interesting that Tapit has two Belmont Stakes winners, both of which get a ton of stamina from the dam's side.
Nice win by Creator to gut it out in the stretch, and the same for Destin who did a lot of running in there. Exaggerator didn't look good easing at the end. I wonder if that will be the last we see of him.

Most impressive race of the day (IMO) was Frosted, who almost beat Najran's track record. I wasn't expecting a race like that out of him. And, a little proud Canadian boast for me was seeing Shaman Ghost win the Brooklyn :-)

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Postby skeenan » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:13 pm

Dang, I missed Frosted's race... that's awesome! I felt last year that he was a little like Sham, in the shadow of AP. I really like him, so glad to hear he won!

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:58 am

skeenan wrote:Dang, I missed Frosted's race... that's awesome! I felt last year that he was a little like Sham, in the shadow of AP. I really like him, so glad to hear he won!

Here's the replay of Frosted's win in the Met. He ran an explosive race, without the need of urging. He looked very good while winning by 14 1/4 lengths and finishing just 2/5ths of a second away from the mile track record. TJ
http://www1.drf.com/displayVideo.do?tra ... ountry=USA

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:03 am

Cree wrote:Interesting that Tapit has two Belmont Stakes winners, both of which get a ton of stamina from the dam's side.
Nice win by Creator to gut it out in the stretch, and the same for Destin who did a lot of running in there. Exaggerator didn't look good easing at the end. I wonder if that will be the last we see of him.

Most impressive race of the day (IMO) was Frosted, who almost beat Najran's track record. I wasn't expecting a race like that out of him. And, a little proud Canadian boast for me was seeing Shaman Ghost win the Brooklyn :-)

Hi Cree,
Yes, it was a good win for Creator...their rabbit was relentless and did his job in getting Destin beat (all's fair in love and horse racing:>). I made a bad decisions concerning Creator that cost me the triple...but that's horse racing:>) Creator has been on my radar for some time, but his closing style made me back away. If you remember we spoke about Creator taking the same route as Curlin to end up in the TC. As it turned out that year, Pletcher's Rags To Riches beat Asmussen's Curlin by a head. This year Asmussen turned the tables on Pletcher...turnabout's fair play:>)
I thought Lani ran a darn good race too...he's a bit of a head case, but settled in at Belmont Park mainly because of Belmont main track's vast expanse. This found him able to relax in his training, the way he did at his home track (Hanshin Racecourse), which is also large...about 1 5/16ths miles. Too bad he will return home. Now we...as well as the owner's and trainers :-), have some time to regroup and see what Saratoga and/or Santa Anita have in store for these top 3YO contenders. TJ