The GR I Alabama

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

The GR I Alabama

Postby TJ » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:27 pm

Here are the entries and PP's for the GR I Alabama Stakes. The reigning Champion of her division Songbird, goes a mile and a quarter distance for the first time in her career. TJ

10th Race. (C10) Approx Post 6:18PM STAKES
THE ALABAMA Grade I - $600,000
Purse $600,000 (Up to $52,000 NYSBFOA) One Mile And One Quarter
FOR FILLIES THREE YEARS OLD.
1 Dark Nile(L) Dk B/ Br.f.3 121 Bravo, J WinStar Farm Delacour, Arnaud
2 Weep No More(L) Ch.f.3 121 Lanerie, C Ashbrook Farm Arnold, II, George
3 Going for Broke(L) B.f.3 121 Ortiz, Jr., I Waterford Stable Brown, Chad
4 Go Maggie Go(L) B.f.3 121 Saez, L Tarp, M Romans, Dale
5 Family Tree(L) Ch.f.3 121 Geroux, F West, G & M Catalano, Wayne
6 Songbird(L) Dk B/ Br.f.3 121 Smith, M Fox Hill Farm Hollendorfer, Jerry
7 Flora Dora(L) Ch.f.3 121 Esquivel, E Coffee Pot Stables Coffey, Marialice Blk-On
Click on Go Maggie Go: http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/briswatc ... ummary.htm

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Re: The GR I Alabama

Postby Cree » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:58 pm

Songbird
Family Tree
Go Maggie Go

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:26 pm

Songbird
Weep No More
Going for Broke

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:03 pm

Songbird
Go Maggie Go
Flora Dora

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:26 pm

Here's the finish:
Songbird....just a magnificent filly, easily winning the Alabama.
Going For Broke
Family Tree
Weep No More

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Postby skeenan » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:29 pm

Whoohoo! So effortlessly... just beautiful.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:48 am

It's good to see Songbird's connections are resisting the temptation to run her against the colts. Next up is a drop back in distance in the 1 1/6th mile GR I Cotillion at Parx on Sept. 24th. Guess that could set up a possible meeting with Beholder in the BC Distaff? Here's the replay. TJ
http://www1.drf.com/displayVideo.do?tra ... ountry=USA

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Georgerz » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:01 pm

I know that time doesn't matter. but wasn't the Alabama a rather slow race? just curious.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:19 pm

Georgerz wrote:I know that time doesn't matter. but wasn't the Alabama a rather slow race? just curious.

Hi George,
Yes, the time was slow and she did receive a low preliminary beyer speed figure of 95. That being said, she won off all by herself so better competition could have encouraged her to run faster. Raw time over the past ten runnings of the Alabama, shows her time stacks up competitively. Questing and Embellish The Lace both ran 2:01 and change during that period...but next best was Songbird's 2:03 yesterday. Other top fillies who won the Alabama over the past 10 seasons and ran slower than 2:03 flat, were Lady Joanne, Royal Delta, Princess of Sylmar and Stopchargingmaria to name a few. TJ

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Georgerz » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:12 pm

Thank you very much for putting things in the proper perspective. Very appreciated.

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Postby skeenan » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:15 am

Theoretical question... who is the stronger female this year, Songbird or Beholder? I'm up in the air on that one... Songbird is 10/10, but Beholder has raced against some strong, competitive males. Will Songbird have a chance at any HOY awards, if she doesn't go up against the boys this season? It seems like their plan is to keep raking in wins in all-filly races? (which, if true, can't say I blame them).

Just curious to know what others think. Have we gotten to a point where a filly is only "truly" great when she can win against male competition?
Or does it not matter, if said filly dominates the season?

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:50 pm

skeenan wrote:Theoretical question... who is the stronger female this year, Songbird or Beholder? I'm up in the air on that one... Songbird is 10/10, but Beholder has raced against some strong, competitive males. Will Songbird have a chance at any HOY awards, if she doesn't go up against the boys this season? It seems like their plan is to keep raking in wins in all-filly races? (which, if true, can't say I blame them).

Just curious to know what others think. Have we gotten to a point where a filly is only "truly" great when she can win against male competition?
Or does it not matter, if said filly dominates the season?

Hi Skeenan,
Tough to decide who the best would be between Beholder and Songbird...I think there is one place to find that out, the racetrack. Sure would be a great race...not to mention Stellar Wind, Stopchargingmaria and Sheer Drama among the entries.
I would think Songbird will have the 3YO filly championship locked up. HOY is probably out of the question, unless she jumps up and wins the BC Classic...though I doubt her connections will consider it, since they decided to run against the ladies once again in the Cotillion. It wouldn't be a good move to come out of her division and try the BC Classic the first time she runs against males. It does look like they are raking in the wins with Songbird, but I believe there is something else behind keeping Songbird in her division. It goes back to the 2008 Kentucky Derby when Songbird's owner ran his 3YO filly against the boys for the first time in the Kentucky Derby...she ran a brilliant 2nd, but ended up breaking down. Her name was Eight Belles and I have to feel the owner has that fateful day in the back of his mind and could be why Songbird hasn't tried the boys to date?
It's basically a must for a filly to come out of her division in order to win a HOY title...and that is a decision the owner and trainer have to make entering the season to find the best spot to try the males. It is a risky decision as we've lost some good filly's when they try to beat males...Ruffian and Eight Belles most memorable. So I guess it is a tough decison to make and is it really that important? Moccasin might have been the only filly to win the HOY as well as Champion 2YO filly who dominated in her division only. She beat Kelso by 1 vote in winning the HOY Title in 1965. TJ

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Postby skeenan » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:26 am

Thanks, TJ! I wasn't thinking of Eight Belles... yes, that would be a huge factor, wouldn't it? Her breakdown (any TB breakdown) was tragic and just awful... heartbreaking.

I only mentioned HOY, since it came up in the commentary. Perhaps they meant 3 YO Filly? Either way... she has been impressive and I hope she continues to have a fabulous season! :D I would love to see a race with Beholder, Stellar Wind and Songbird.

And, I only posed the question, as, with many equine sports, the bar of greatness seems to be continually raised. Rachel Alexandra and Zenyatta, most recently, have set quite a precedence for fillies and mares. :D