The Pegasus World Cup

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

The Pegasus World Cup

Postby TJ » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:07 pm

Here's the entries and past performances for the 1st running of the $12,000,000 Pegasus World Cup. Quite a sporting move to fill out this field, but then again they are giving away big bucks just to run. Not to mention the slot holders who receive a percentage of all monies taken in by the track including the admission gate, who will pay $100 a head for less than general admission. They get more expensive from there...$130-$750, and the ticket scalpers who are getting over a grand for a seat. Those who put up the million to buy a spot will earn some back, $250,000 goes to each horse that finishes 4th-12th...add in the profit sharing and all slot holders may turn a profit. The winner gets $7,000,000, 2nd picks up $1,750,000 and a cool million to the 3rd place finisher.
http://www.NBCSports.com will stream the race live 4:30-6PM this Saturday...TVG will also carry the race. Not sure if it will be televised on the NBC Sports channel?? Scroll down to the pp's. TJ

12th Race. (C12) Post 5:40PM The 1st Running of The Pegasus World Cup Invitational (Grade I)
Purse $12,000,000 Estimated 1 1/8 Miles FOUR YEAR OLDS AND UPWARD.

1 ARROGATE (L) '13 C 124 Smith, M Juddmonte Farms, Inc. Baffert, B
2 PRAYER FOR RELIEF (L) '08 H 124 Geroux, F Zayat Stables, LLC and Rosedown, et al. Romans, D
3 NEOLITHIC (L) '13 C 124 Velazquez, J Starlight Racing Pletcher, T
4 NOBLE BIRD (L) '11 H 124 Leparoux, J Oxley, Mack, Fostock, Broman Casse, M
5 WAR STORY (L) '12 G 124 Gallardo, A Loooch Racing Stables, Inc., Ellis, Daybreak et al. Navarro, J
6 WAR ENVOY (L) '12 H 124 Saez, L Ruis Racing LLC Ruis, M
7 SHAMAN GHOST (L) '12 H 124 Ortiz, J Stronach Stables Jerkens, J
8 SEMPER FORTIS (L) '13 C 124 Gaffalione, T Reddam Racing LLC O'Neill, D
9 KEEN ICE (L) '12 H 124 Castellano, J Donegal Racing, Frankel, Jerry, Frankel, Calumet, et al. Pletcher,
10 BREAKING LUCKY (L) '12 H 124 Contreras, L Gunpowder Farms LLC, West Point Thoroughbreds et al. Baker, R
11 ERAGON (ARG) '11 H 119 Prado, E McIngvale, J Wohlers, L
12 CALIFORNIA CHROME (L) '11 H 124 Espinoza, V California Chrome, LLC Sherman, A
--Also Eligibles--
13 STANFORD (L) '12 H 124 Velazquez, J Stonestreet Stables LLC, Magnier, Susan., Tabor, Michael B.
and Smith, Derrick Pletcher, T
14 SEA RAVEN (L) '11 R 124 Contreras, L Gunpowder Farms LLC, West Point Thoroughbreds et al. Rubley, K
15 MADEFROMLUCKY (L) '12 H 124 Castellano, J Cheyenne Stables LLC and Nichol, Mac Pletcher, T

Scroll down to Neolithic: http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/briswatc ... ummary.htm

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Re: The Pegasus World Cup

Postby skeenan » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:54 am

I'm really looking forward to the Chrome/Arrogate rematch! :D

Aug27
Allowance Winner

Postby Aug27 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:11 am

Arrogate over Noble Bird.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:14 am

Wanted to update NBC (not the NBC Sports Channel) will televise the Pegasus Saturday 4:30-6:00PM Eastern. The scheduled post time for the Pegasus World Cup is 5:40PM Eastern. TJ

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Georgerz » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:57 pm

TJ: Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:16 pm

Thanks TJ!! It's been Too Quiet around here lately. I'm looking forward to this one!
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:38 pm

Hi Madelyn and Georgerz,
You're both very welcome. I'm certainly looking forward to the race as well. I've been to GP and got to see Arrogate and California Chrome....WOW, they both look better than the last time they raced against each other. Arrogate, who appeared to be a bit light in his last win, has filled out some into his huge frame since then. By comparison CC carries more weight and is just massive.
I caught Arrogate's gallop Jan 25th and watched CC's breeze on the 14th, he looked like he wasn't moving and went 5/8ths in a minute and change. He came back on the 21st and went in 58 and change....he did it the same way, all on his own. I really like how Arrogate moves...he reminds me of American Pharoah the way he touches the ground so lightly, yet propels himself so powerfully from behind. He gallops with his head down low and yet he does whatever his tiny exercise rider (Dana Barnes) asks of him...just another push button horse like AP:>)
CC drew the worst post he could get going a mile and an eight at Gulfstream Park....but he does get a 4 pound weight shift going his way from the last time he met Arrogate. From the looks of it, that post might not hinder him since he does like being outside and doesn't appear to have anyone inside him with the speed to hang him out to dry going into the 1st turn.
Arrogate on the other hand, got the best post possible at this distance...and the last time he broke from the 1 slot he destroyed his field in the Travers. Though he doesn't have the speed Chrome has, he's fresh and will probably show more gate speed than he ever has....but both of these stars will have to break running since Chrome runs the risk of being carried wide and Arrogate could find himself with a wall of horses in front of him and no where to go. The last two horses that won from the outside post at a mile and an eight was Big Brown who topped it all the way from the 12 hole and Barbaro who broke from the extreme outside in a 10 horse field. So no doubt a top horse can get the job done from out there. If I can have one wish it would be the race finishes in a dead heat:>) TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:39 pm

Hard to choose between these two.
I don't know what to make of it, but I feel like Arrogate is the better of the 2. I will of course be rooting for my boy Shaman Ghost to get a piece.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:15 am

Arrogate
California Chrome
Neolithic
Noble Bird

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:08 pm

I agree with TJ in that a dead heat would be nice, and again my heart is with California Chrome who showed he is ready to give his best with that 58 and change work over the track. When you consider that this will be his last race I would hope that someone on the team tells Victor to go from the get go and do not hold anything back, and in my opinion if he does that they will have to run their collective butts off to catch him. The problem with setting the pace is Smith taking advantage of it and just doing enough early to keep Arrogate clear and asking for his best run when he is ready. I have decided to play a super part wheel using 1-12 with 1-12 with 7-9-10-11 with 7-9-10-11 at a cost of $24.00 for a $1.00 or $2.40 for $.10. May they all have a clean and safe trip, and good luck if you decide to wager a bob or two.

DDT

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:51 pm

Here's the finish:
Arrogate...he's the greatest i've ever seen since Secretariat!!!
Shaman Ghost...far back, up for 2nd
Neolithic...3rd
Keen Ice...4th
Mike Smith said...that was not the California Chrome he knew...inferring something went wrong??

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:11 pm

It appeared to me that Victor was trying his best to hustle California Chrome along but got very little response and had to take the turn wide. It was disappointing to watch but these horses are not machines and they cannot tell us they do not feel like running if a problem is not obvious to the naked eye.

Good luck to Chrome in his role as a stallion.

DDT

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:30 pm

It's kind of a shame to see Chrome exit like this....but he was great for racing and the best diplomat for racing we've ever had...(minus his original dumb ass partners:>) He certainly looked great...but just don't know what happened to him today...guess we might hear tomorrow? Just as long as he will be healthy and ready to breed it's not going to matter that much.
Arrogate is a great horse. What he's done off long layoffs and little seasoning has just been amazing...I give much credit to Bob Baffert, he's a race horse training freak! I just hope Arrogate stays sound...because we'll see some amazing racing feats the rest of this year. His main objective is the BC Classic...he will not go to Dubai, even though his owner lives there. Arrogate was bought to race in the USA and they are focused on one race...the BC Classic. Unless another top 3YO comes out of this years TC events....looks like they will get the job done in the Classic. He may have 2 or 3 starts before the BC....but as well as he runs fresh, don't expect to see much of him as he's headed for a well deserved rest. Don't forget he is an Unbridled's Song and less is more for his progeny.
Just another amazing race by this Johnny come lately....who is a freak, just like his trainer:>) TJ
PS....DDT check your email. TJ
Last edited by TJ on Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:55 pm

A real shame he ends his career on such a note. I am reading that he may have been injured.

Arrogate is a beast of a horse. As a huge fan of Unbridled and Unbridled's Song, it really is great to see such a talented horse come from the sire line. He is something else, no doubt.

And, my Canadian self is completely delighted to see Shaman Ghost run a bang up 2nd. He wasn't going to beat the winner, but he ran a good race.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:32 am

California Chrome settled in at Taylor Made on the afternoon of 1/29. A complete set of x-rays were taken and on 1/30, it was announced California Chrome is healthy and on schedule to begin his stud career in mid-February. Here's the story. TJ
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... aylor-made