Battalion Runner

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

Battalion Runner

Postby TJ » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:45 pm

I've been wondering what Pletcher's plans are for Battalion Runner...I thought he would be his best shot at winning the Derby? Problem is it took him 3 weeks to breeze back after his last allowance win and I think that put him behind the 8 ball? He's back breezing once again at Palm Beach Downs. His recent 5/8ths was the best of the day and that included Neolithic and Keen Ice on the worktab for the Dubai World Cup. He was never nominated to the TBD and Todd has 2 in there anyway, Tapwrit and Third Day....I don't think either one is as good as Battalion Runner. I'm starting to think he's got some issues holding him back? The way I see it, he's down to the Wood or the Florida Derby (unless he wants to ship to Oaklawn or Fair Grounds?)....he has to get with it because he has 0 points!
Of interest this weekend will be Beasley running in the Tampa Bay Derby...Battalion Runner easily bested him in his allowance win at GP so if Beasley wins it (like I think he will:>), that will boost Battalion Runner. I sure hope he gets Battalion Runner back in the game soon, because he might just be the one Pletcher's been waiting for:>) TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Re: Battalion Runner

Postby Cree » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:53 pm

I have a hard time getting behind Pletcher horses in the Derby. Something about the way he trains isn't working to win the race. Lord knows he's tried a lot!
Battalion Runner would be hard-pressed to get in another prep (maybe 2), might be better for the colt not to push him to the first Saturday in May.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:51 pm

Cree wrote:I have a hard time getting behind Pletcher horses in the Derby. Something about the way he trains isn't working to win the race. Lord knows he's tried a lot!
Battalion Runner would be hard-pressed to get in another prep (maybe 2), might be better for the colt not to push him to the first Saturday in May.

Hi Cree,
There's no doubt Pletcher's Derby record is abysmal compared to his great work in every other division of the sport...but there is something about this one that captures my interest??
I agree passing on the Derby is probably the best thing to do...especially if he does have something going on physically. Yet that was my initial reaction when it took him 22 days to work after his last win at GP. Though it is just a week later than his normal 15 day timeline. There can be any number of reasons for the extra week...maybe just an everyday bug. Though there really hasn't been any word about where he might go next? The work he had the other day was very impressive and he galloped out very strong over a track that hasn't really been super quick due to all the wind we've had down here recently (drying out the track). If Pletcher does take a chance, I'd expect it will be a one shot try for the points and most likely would be the Florida Derby, since that allows Pletcher's preferred 5 week time span between races. Looking forward to find out where he runs next?? TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:25 am

Don't get me wrong, I think this is his best sophomore colt, and the horse has a "wow" factor for sure.

Perhaps he is Unbridled's Song last-last good horse (after Arrogate, who thought there would be another???). It is interesting to know that BR has the reverse pedigree of Unique Bella - she's by Tapit out of a US mare; he's by US out of a Tapit mare.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:21 am

Here's Pletcher's plan for Battalion Runner....it's a one shot deal. He will run in the SA Derby April 8th, if he earns the necessary points he will run in the Derby, if not they will target the Preakness Stakes. TJ