The GR I Dubai World Cup

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

The GR I Dubai World Cup

Postby TJ » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:43 am

Here are the current possibles/probables for the the GR I Dubai World Cup March 25th. With the addition of Arrogate and Gun Runner into the field, this is developing into very good race. Looking forward to see Arrogate and Gun Runner meet, though I would have preferred it done on our side of the pond...less excuses that way (didn't ship well, the desert heat, couldn't handle the track, etc). But 10 million dollars does draw a lot of interest (especially when you don't have to put up a million to buy a spot)...And along with the Sheikh's invitation to run your horse in his country, comes an all-expenses-paid first-class trip for each horse and their connections. So what would you do? Ahh, but there is a catch, they don't pay for your booze:>)TJ

Arrogate... B. Baffert
Gun Runner... S. Asmussen
Shaman Ghost... J. Jerkens
Neolithic... T. Pletcher
Keen Ice... T. Pletcher
Hoppertunity... B. Baffert
Dortmund... A. Sherman
Midnight Storm... P. D'Amato
Special Fighter... M. Ritchie
Mubtaahij... M. De Kock
Lindo Amor... M. De Kock
Lani... M. Matsunaga
Awardee... M. Matsunaga
Candy Boy... D. Watson
Second Summer... D. Watson
North America... S. Seemar
Apollo Kentucky... K. Yamauchi
Furia Cruzada... E. Charpy
Secret Weapon... D. Yip
Market Rally... D. Selvaratnam
Emotionless... C. Appleby

TJ
Darley line

Re: The GR I Dubai World Cup

Postby TJ » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:36 am

The field for the Dubai World Cup has been whittled down to a solid group of 14. A couple American contenders who were expected to run, opted out. Two in particular was Shaman Ghost and Midnight Storm who recently finished one-two in the Santa Anita Handicap. Another who didn't make the entry was Dortmund, after a poor try over the turf...it's obvious Sherman decided he's no longer that kind of horse. That being said here's the field for the Dubai World Cup (9th Race)....click on the link below and find the official race entries for this Saturday's World Cup races in Dubai. This link shows the entire days races including the UAE Derby (4th Race). TJ

Click on the 9th race: http://www.dubaiworldcup.com/race/racin ... ecards?id=

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Georgerz » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:32 pm

Arrogate, Lani and Long River are my choices, so far.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:03 am

Just wanted to post NBCSN will broadcast the World Cup Sat., March 25 at 9:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. ET. TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:28 pm

Arrogate to win over Gun Runner and Hoppertunity. :-) I am excited to see the big grey again.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:00 pm

Arrogate
Gun Runner
Move Up
Neolithic

Aug27
Allowance Winner

Postby Aug27 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:53 pm

9-arrogate
10-keen
4-Lani
3-gold.

Safe trips for all!

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:34 am

Just in case any of you guys want to try actually handicapping any or all of these races, here's the past performances, Euro style. You won't see any race speed figure. Just old style handicapping seeing who beat who, who gets a weight shift, who had trouble...one race should take a good hour to go through. I double dog dare you to give it a try and get through it without having your head spin:>) TJ
https://www.amwager.com/images/docs/Meydan-03_25_17.pdf

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:34 pm

I don't think I have time (or the patience!), but it's sure neat to look at.
I didn't realize Lancaster Bomber is in the UAE Derby.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:51 am

Very little left to say about the brilliance of Arrogate....Arrogate was slammed coming out of the gate by what looked like Keen Ice...then turned in a most amazing run to win going away from last place. He's the best I've ever seen and I've seen some great ones. TJ
Here's the finish for the Dubai World Cup:
Arrogate
Gun Runner
Neolithic
Mubtaahij

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:58 am

Wow. He gave me chills. What an incredible performance.
And Gun Runner, ran such a great race, this little horse is all heart. Too bad he's in the same generation as Arrogate.

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:25 am

What a run, I was worried just a little, but when I saw him moving I knew it was a matter of time. As they say, the great ones overcome trouble. The time was not very fast but when you consider that his first six furlongs were not that taxing it only makes me think what he would have done with an uneventful run.

DDT

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:24 am

DDT wrote:What a run, I was worried just a little, but when I saw him moving I knew it was a matter of time. As they say, the great ones overcome trouble. The time was not very fast but when you consider that his first six furlongs were not that taxing it only makes me think what he would have done with an uneventful run.

DDT

Hi DDT,
Guess he's spoiled us with record breaking times...but he's got a long campaign ahead, winning was all that mattered. It was actually Furia Cruzada that came over on him. After the trouble at the start Smith thought to himself, don't panic just ride him like he's Zenyatta. He actually eased off him a bit and then slowly asked him for his best....while no less than 6-7 wide the whole trip, turning for home he tips out wider, found a spot to run and the lights were out. I was more worried about Baffert than I was about Arrogate winning, the last time Baffert was at Dubai he took a heart attack and Smith gave him good reason to have another this time around:>)
By the way, I wasn't reading Smiths mind...he said that being interviewed on horseback while returning to the winners circle. TJ

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Postby skeenan » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:45 am

Wow. Just wow. One of the greats! He's amazing... brilliant ride by Mike Smith!

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:48 pm

Looks like Unbridleds Song saved the best for his next to last crop in Arrogate. Outstanding horse! Now the #1 leading money winning American bred of all time, eclipsing CC.