The GR I Florida Derby

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

The GR I Florida Derby

Postby TJ » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:04 am

They just finished drawing the post positions for the Florida Derby. The overnight and PP's ares not out yet...but will post them as soon as they are. A bunch of new shooters fill the field, showing little respect for the favored Gunnevera and 3rd choice Always Dreaming. Battalion Runner, the 2nd choice, is now considering the Wood, Arkasas Deby or the SA Derby and is only a backup entry here, in the off chance Always Dreaming doesn't make the race. TJ
1. State Of Honor 8-1
2. Talk Logistics 30-1
3. Charlie The Greek 50-1
4. Always Dreaming 4-1
5. Quinientos 50-1
6. Coleman Rocky 30-1
7. Unbridled Holiday 30-1
8. Impressive Edge 12-1
9. Battalion Runner 3-1
10. Three Rules 8-1
11. Gunnevera 9/5

TJ
Darley line

Re: The GR I Florida Derby

Postby TJ » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:36 pm

Here are the entries and PP's for The GR I Florida Derby. TJ

14th Race.Post 6:40PM
The 66th Running of The Florida Derby (Grade I)
Purse $1,000,000 Guaranteed 1 1/8 Miles
THREE YEAR OLDS.
1 STATE OF HONOR (L) '14 C 122 Leparoux, J Conrad Farms Casse, M
2 TALK LOGISTICS (L) '14 C 122 Bravo, J Hardway Stables Plesa, Jr., E
3 CHARLIE THE GREEK (L) '14 C 122 Reyes, L Olympia Star, Inc. Yanakov, M
4 ALWAYS DREAMING (L) '14 C 122 Velazquez, J Brooklyn Boyz Stables, Teresa Viola Racing Stables et al. Pletcher, T
5 QUINIENTOS (L) '14 G 122 Montalvo, C Rontos Racing Stable Corp. Sanchez, E
6 COLEMAN ROCKY (L) '14 C 122 Ortiz, J Grupo 7C Racing Stable Delgado, G
7 UNBRIDLED HOLIDAY (L) '14 C 122 Juarez, N D P Racing Biancone, P
8 IMPRESSIVE EDGE (L) '14 C 122 Lanerie, C N and K Racing Romans, D
9 BATTALION RUNNER (L) '14 C 122 Velazquez, J St. Elias Stable Pletcher, T
10 THREE RULES (L) '14 C 122 Saez, L Shade Tree Thoroughbreds, Inc., Fitzgerald, Tom et el, Pinchin, J
11 GUNNEVERA (L) '14 C 122 Castellano, J Peacock Racing Stables, LLC Sano, A
Blinkers Off: State of Honor
Blinkers On: Unbridled Holiday

Scroll Down, Click on Battalion Runner: http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/briswatc ... mmary.html

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:23 pm

Gunnevera
Battalion Runner
Always Dreaming
State of Honor

Aug27
Allowance Winner

Postby Aug27 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:33 am

Gunnevera over Coleman Rocky.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:20 am

Track looks fast today...Clearly Now just set a 7f track record at GP under wraps in 1:20. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:21 pm

State of Honor
Gunnevera
Always Dreaming
Three Rules

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:04 pm

Here's the finish:
Always Dreaming...he is the real deal.
State of Honor...a fair 2nd, but no competition for the winner
Gunnevera...3rd
Impressive Edge...4th

Shergar
Starters Handicap

Postby Shergar » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:52 pm

Though a well beaten 3rd, I'm not quite ready to give up on Gunnevera.

From what I can tell, GP track today was speed favoring.

10 furlongs should be no problem for Gunny, but getting around 19 other horses always gives me pause.

Shergar

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:12 am

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:44 am

Gunnevera strikes me as a horse who is handy enough to get through and around horses. I just don't know about the other 19. I'd definitely put him on my superfecta. He runs a good race pretty much every time.

State of Honor has been running so well, he has no quit, he's really a nice colt (gelding?).

The winner looked good. But he reminds me of Pletcher's other lightly race 3-year-olds that peak in the Florida Derby. Maybe this year will be different?

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:15 pm

Cree wrote:Gunnevera strikes me as a horse who is handy enough to get through and around horses. I just don't know about the other 19. I'd definitely put him on my superfecta. He runs a good race pretty much every time.

State of Honor has been running so well, he has no quit, he's really a nice colt (gelding?).

The winner looked good. But he reminds me of Pletcher's other lightly race 3-year-olds that peak in the Florida Derby. Maybe this year will be different?

Hi Cree,
I've noted a distinct difference in Pletcher's handling of his 3YO's this season. He got races into almost all of them at 2...he didn't push to get them to a race (example Battalion Runner and Always Dreaming). He used Palm Beach Downs to prepare these horses and they've gone far and wide from there to run all over the country...and run well. I don't expect Always Dreaming to come up empty in the Derby this year...he might get beat, but all his horses will run their race. I liked State of Honor, but he was rank into the first turn and they never should have taken the b's off him and try to change his style of running. As a barometer, he was beaten by McCraken and Tapwrit...and not very far showing the way till the stretch. The way Always Dreaming handle him yesterday, tells me he fits well and could the equal of both McCraken and Tapwrit....his final time was just .64 seconds slower than Arrogate's record breaking win in the Pegasus. I'm looking forward to see where Pletcher runs Battalion Runner and who goes along to ride him. Castellano wasn't impressed with Gunnevera's performance Saturday and I wonder if he'll be looking to get on one of Pletcher's. I thought Battalion Runner has been training better than all Pletcher's Derby prospects...can't wait to see his long awaited return...he has just one shot, so you know they are trying and trying hard. By the way he is owned by the same folks who own Always Dreaming. We have the Wood, Bluegrass, Santa Anita Derby and the Arkansas Derby left so this picture is still in flux:>) In the Wood there is a good chance Battalion Runner will go that route, as well as Bonus Points and Irish War Cry. The Bluegrass will be a heck of a race with the likes of Tapwrit, McCraken and J Boys Echo scheduled to meet. The Santa Anita Derby to this point, seems to be strictly California based 3YO's. Finally the Arkansas Derby will be the return of Classic Empire and One Liner as well as Malagacy. So we have some possible break away candidates in these up coming races...we will know for sure about McCracken....he could return to the top of the heap with an explosive win? The time he missed and the time between starts could have been a blessing in disguise...he has been training forwardly at Keeneland for over 2 weeks now. Sure is getting exciting:>) TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:03 pm

Other than Mastery, I think McCraken has been the most impressive to me this year.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:03 am

Cree wrote:Other than Mastery, I think McCraken has been the most impressive to me this year.

Hi Cree,
They just closed the Derby pool 4 advance bet and McCraken is the 5-1 choice. No doubt he's a top contender and can't wait to see the Bluegrass...that should be a very good and telling race between Tapwrit, J'Boy's Echo and McCraken. His rider, Brian Hernandez Jr., is also very interested since he will have to decide between riding McCraken or Girvin in the Derby?
Just read Battalion Runner will be ridden by JV in the Wood Memorial and if he wins, JV will also have a decision to make between Always Dreaming and BR. Though this choice will be tough, it is an easier decision since both horses are from the same connections. Hernandez will hurt someone's feelings with his decision:>) TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:35 pm

Chad Brown just added a little more "salt" to the Bluegrass Stakes. He confirmed Practical Joke will join the field. Also add the Tampa Bay Derby's 3rd place finisher, Wild Shot to the field. TJ