The GR III Affirmed Stakes

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

The GR III Affirmed Stakes

Postby TJ » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:13 pm

Small field for the GR III Affirmed Stakes...with a Derby and Preakness starter in the race it won't be a disappointment. Though doesn't look like a betting race:>) PP's below. TJ

4th Race. (C8) Affirmed Stakes (Grade III)
$100,000 Guaranteed
STAKES
Purse $100,000 Guaranteed One Mile And One Sixteenth
FOR THREE-YEAR-OLDS.
1 B SQUARED (L) '14 C 122 Gutierrez, M Reddam Racing, LLC Doug O'Neill
2 BATTLE OF MIDWAY (L) '14 C 120 Prat, F Don Albert Stable or WinStar Farm LLC Jerry Hollendorfer
3 QUIET DUDE(S) (L) '14 G 120 Pereira, Tiago J. Kahlden or Wiener Jorge Periban
4 TERM OF ART (L) '14 C 122 Baze, T Calumet Farm Doug O'Neill
5 ARMS RUNNER (L) '14 C 120 Arroyo, Jr., N Rockingham Ranch Peter Miller

Click on Term of Art: http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/briswatc ... ummary.htm

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Re: The GR III Affirmed Stakes

Postby Cree » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:19 am

Rooting for Battle of Midway here. They are using this as a prep for the Haskell.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:18 am

Cree wrote:Rooting for Battle of Midway here. They are using this as a prep for the Haskell.

Hi Cree,
I agree Battle of Midway does look very hard to beat in here and I would like to see Hollendorfer come up with a good colt, the man has enough good fillies:>). Good news to hear he will go to the Haskell Invitational next....which is shaping up into one heck of a race now...with this improving 3YO in the lineup. It was a smart move when WinStar and Don Alberto Stable bought him outright. A good son of Smart Strike would be worth his weight in gold if he wins that Gr I. With Battle of Midway now confirmed, as well as Timeline, Irish War Cry, Classic Empire (hoof?..keep our fingers crossed:>), West Coast or American Anthem from the Baffert barn and a lesser light...Talk Logistics, this race will have a serious pace with solid contenders!
I said this before, I like the way this season turned out...with all the win sharing that's gone on to date, it makes for an interesting competition for 3YO honors. And because of that, there's plenty 3YO graded stakes winners left over for the Jim Dandy Stakes..and with any luck...they all get together for the Travers Stakes and settle 3YO honors on the racetrack where I like to see it get done:>) TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:37 pm

Here's The Finish:
Battle of Midway...very easy win for this improving 3YO. The Haskell will be a great race!
B Squared...pressed the slow pace the whole trip but couldn't keep up when BOW turned it on in the lane.
Term Of Art...3rd
Quiet Dude...4th

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:37 am

He looked really powerful coming down that stretch, B Squared gave it his all but Battle of Midway didn't look like he came back puffing.

I do hope he gets to the Haskell. I really like him!

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:51 am

Cree wrote:He looked really powerful coming down that stretch, B Squared gave it his all but Battle of Midway didn't look like he came back puffing.

I do hope he gets to the Haskell. I really like him!

Hi Cree,
I agree...he won under a hand ride, never saw the stick. His style of running will be of help over the Monmouth surface which favors speed. The thing is there will be a healthy pace in that race, if all pointing to it show up? That being said...Battle of Midway was up against it in the Derby, as far as the win column goes as he never ran as a 2YO (curse of Apollo:-). So his race in the Derby was very impressive and why I kept my eyes on his progress. He could be better than the two who finished ahead of him in the Derby? He brings to mind Curlin, who never raced at 2 and also finished 3rd in the Derby...Curlin was beaten by 8 and Midway was beaten 7 3/4 lengths. The difference I see between them is Midway was bit less advanced and Hollendorfer took the time since the Derby to strengthen and straighten him out a bit...while Curlin went right back into the Preakness and beat Street Sense. The easy Affirmed win bodes well for Hollendorfer's decision and he could take a giant step forward in his next start. Really looking forward to the handful of graded 3YO races left prior to the Breeders Cup races. TJ