Justify

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

Re: Justify

Postby TJ » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:02 am

mehile wrote:50 points in theory could be enough to get him onto the gate but that's saying he has to win the Sunland. It seems to me it would make more sense to wait for one of the higher point races but I'm no trainer and like you said Baffert has to worry about setting his charges against each other.

Hi Mehile,
What you say makes sense and as a trainer Baffert has very few options due to Justify's late arrival. Once again I have no idea what's in Baffert's head and he is holding his cards close to his vest, not letting the competition know what direction he will take. The Sunland Derby most likely would be too quick a return to the races...so the 100 point options will be the only preps left available to him. It would be a shame if Justify found himself in trouble during the running of his next race and doesn't earn enough points to run in the Derby.
In any case we have more cipherin' to do:>)....just 5 days to go until the Rebel Stakes. Baffert might pit two of his own against each other in here, Solomini and Mourinho. Pletcher has his 'late developing' 3YO (Magnum Moon) as a likely starter who, like Justify, didn't race as a 2YO and has the same credentials....an easy maiden and allowance win (though not nearly as breathtaking:>). TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:25 pm

TJ wrote:In any case we have more cipherin' to do:>)....just 5 days to go until the Rebel Stakes. Baffert might pit two of his own against each other in here, Solomini and Mourinho. Pletcher has his 'late developing' 3YO (Magnum Moon) as a likely starter who, like Justify, didn't race as a 2YO and has the same credentials....an easy maiden and allowance win (though not nearly as breathtaking:>). TJ

I mentioned Mourinho as a prospect for the Rebel Stakes, a solid Baffert runner who disappointed last out as the favorite in the Southwest, unfortunately he was humanely destroyed this morning after taking a bad step in a workout. Read the story below. TJ
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... ng-workout

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:52 am

That is So Sad!! My condolences to the horse's connections. It must have been a catastrophic break.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:30 pm

The Godolphin owned Avery Island, winner of the Withers in his 3YO debut came up lame March 9th following a 5/8ths breeze at Palm Meadows. He was scheduled to run next in the Louisiana Derby (March 24th)...now will be sent to Rood and Riddle to be evaluated by Dr. Larry Bramlage. TJ

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:09 am

And so the trail some call the Cripple Crown continues. It's sometimes, I think, too much too soon for these young horses.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:02 pm

I could be wrong, but from what I've sensed of Derby preps, the front runners/pressers have been winning. Usually in Ark, the closers show up (but then flatten out in the Derby). I'm wondering if Justify is going to just be thrown into the mix of a front end scramble, to bad consequences.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:28 pm

Justify just worked a strong 1/2 at SA today, going the distance in 46.40. He will run next in the Arkansas Derby on April 14th, the same race Baffert used as the Derby stepping stone for Bodemeister and American Pharoah. What makes this race even more interesting is Pletcher chose the Arkansas Derby for Magnum Moon's next engagement. Baffert won this race twice and Pletcher took it 4 times, so both have solid history here. Also of note, Baffert decided to allow McKinzie to do battle with Bolt d'Oro once again in the SA Derby on April 7th....so we have some exciting and telling preps to look forward to. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:57 am

Due to McKinzie's defection, Bob Baffert will enter Justify in the Santa Anita Derby provided he is happy with the way he works this morning (Monday 4/2). TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:21 pm

I meant to post this here, now it's in two spots:>) All systems are go for Justify to run in the SA Derby, provided he comes out of this morning's 3/4 breeze (1:13.20) in good order. Solomini will now be sent to the Arkansas Derby...it's good to be the King:>) Can't wait to see the showdown between Justify and Bolt d'Oro!! TJ