The GR II Fountain Of Youth Stakes

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

The GR II Fountain Of Youth Stakes

Postby TJ » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:40 am

The GR II Fountain of Youth Stakes, to be run this Saturday at Gulfstream Park and worth 50-20-10-5 points across the board to these Derby hopefuls. Of note in this years renewal is the return to action of 2YO Champion Colt, Good Magic. Below are entries and PP's. TJ

RACE 14 Fountain of Youth S. (Grade II) POST TIME - 6:09 PM
Purse $400,000. For Three Year Olds. One And One Sixteenth Miles.

1 He Takes Charge (KY)3/C L T Gaffalione 116 M E Casse
2 Free Drop Billy (KY) 3/C L R Albarado 122 D L Romans
3 Peppered (KY) 3/C L N Juarez 116 R Baker
4 Strike Power (KY) 3/C L L Saez 122 M A Hennig
5 Storm Runner (KY) 3/C L J Rosario 116 D L Romans
6 Good Magic (KY) 3/C L J L Ortiz 122 C C Brown
7 Gotta Go (KY) 3/C L C Landeros 120 I R Wilkes
8 Marconi (KY) 3/C L J Castellano 116 T A Pletcher
9 Machismo (KY) 3/C L A Jimenez 116 A T Quartarolo
10 Promises Fulfilled (KY)3/C L I Ortiz, Jr. 116 D L Romans

Click on Marconi: http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/briswatc ... ummary.htm

TJ
Darley line

Re: The GR II Fountain Of Youth Stakes

Postby TJ » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:27 pm

Strike Power...going out on a limb here, he's undefeated around one turn...but I think he will get 2 turns?
Good Magic...the logical choice and a definite Derby threat, working very well but still may need this race?
Marconi...a solid 2 turn horse, could be Pletcher's best 3YO at the classic race distances?
Free Drop Billy...one of 3 in here trained by Romans, all seem about equal?

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:40 am

I saw a picture of Good Magic, wow, does he ever look like a powerhouse! I don’t think he needs to win this, and I don’t expect to see him fully cranked. Hoping he runs well and gets something out of it.

Strike Power
Good Magic
Storm Runner
Marconi

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:16 am

Cree wrote:I saw a picture of Good Magic, wow, does he ever look like a powerhouse! I don’t think he needs to win this, and I don’t expect to see him fully cranked. Hoping he runs well and gets something out of it.

Hi Cree,
I agree with what you said about Good Magic...he certainly has blossomed since being crowned 2YO champ. After the way he demolished the 2 top west coast horses in last years BC Juvy, he needs only to establish that superiority on the east coast to be a serious TC threat. I think that has something to do with Chad's thinking in gradually readying him for his first start of the year. Unless he had serious issues, which from the look of him is doubtful, I think he's handling him with that feat in mind. I saw his work against older graded stakes winner Economic Model and he easily held him at bay...maybe I'm off the mark thinking he might need one? Looking forward to see his return to action! TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:08 pm

Free Drop Billy has been scratched. I''l replace that Roman's runner with another, Storm Runner:>) TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:27 pm

Here's the results for the Fountain Of Youth:
Promises Fulfilled...went to the lead and never looked back. (the other Roman's horse:>)
Strike Power...chased to no avail, but clearly 2nd best.
Good Magic...looked like he would run over them...but came up empty.
Machismo...finished 4th.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:16 pm

Not a super inspiring race, and I don't see the winner wanting much further - especially with that running style.
Good Magic may have just needed one?!?! I am still unsure of who I really REALLY like in this crop!

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:13 pm

Cree wrote:Not a super inspiring race, and I don't see the winner wanting much further - especially with that running style.
Good Magic may have just needed one?!?! I am still unsure of who I really REALLY like in this crop!

Hi Cree,
I agree, that race wasn't very impressive by all concerned....but I have to give kudos to Romans:>) Will wait and see if Good Magic will move forward in his next race...if not, that whole group might need a van to go a mile and a quarter? The next 3 weekends should give us some clues...on tap next Saturday (3/10) is The Gotham (Romans scratched Free Drop Billy to run here), Tampa Bay Derby and San Felipe. On 3/17 comes the Rebel and Jeff Ruby Steaks (I doubt I'd want to run in a race they use Steaks instead of Stakes:-). On Saturday, 3/24 is the Louisiana Derby and Sunday 3/25 is the Sunland Derby (Justify)...and there's still 7 more preps to go after these...so plenty time to make a decision or be completely confused:>) Interested in seeing the west coast contenders return to action, Bolt d'Oro (Castellano picked up that mount), Solomini, McKinzie and Justify. TJ

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:22 pm

Good Magic did seem lackluster in the post parade. I wouldn't count him out just yet. Perhaps it was by design that he wasn't fully cranked. The trainer said he seemed tired after the race and maybe needed one.