The GR I Florida Derby

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

The GR I Florida Derby

Postby TJ » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:31 am

This is a very nice field of 3YO's...overall it bodes well for this years 3YO crop. We have seen so many really good 3YO's so far, yet there seems to be no end to the quality of 3YO's yet to be seen. TJ

14th Race. Post 6:30PM
The 67th Running of STAKES Florida Derby (Grade I)
Purse $1,100,000 Guaranteed THREE YEAR OLDS at a distance of 1 1/8 Miles

1 STRIKE POWER (L) '15 C 122 Saez, L Courtlandt Farms (Donald and Donna Adam) Hennig, M
2 MILLIONAIRE RUNNER (L) '15 C 122 Batista, J Thoroughbred Champions Training Center LLC Mejia, J
3 TIP SHEET (L) '15 C 122 Zayas, E Arindel Gold, S
4 PROMISES FULFILLED (L) '15 C 122 Albarado, R Baron, R Romans, D
5 STORM RUNNER (L) '15 C 122 Gaffalione, T Team Valor International and Gemstone Racing Stables Romans, D
6 CATHOLIC BOY (L) '15 C 122 Ortiz, Jr., I LaPenta, Robert V., Madaket Stables LLC and Siena Farm LLCThomas, J
7 HOFBURG (L) '15 C 122 Ortiz, J Juddmonte Farms, Inc. Mott, W
8 AUDIBLE (L) '15 C 122 Velazquez, J China Horse Club International LTD, WinStar Farm, Starlight
Racing and Head of Plains Partners, LLC Pletcher, T
9 MISSISSIPPI (L) '15 C 122 Leparoux, J Magnier, M., Tabor, M., Oxley, J., Smith, D. and Jooste, M. Casse, M

Click on Audible: http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/briswatc ... ummary.htm

Shergar
Starters Handicap

Re: The GR I Florida Derby

Postby Shergar » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:55 am

Call me the devils advocate, but only Audible, Promises Fulfilled, and Catholic Boy look like legit. stakes horses to me.

Shergar

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:55 pm

Shergar wrote:Call me the devils advocate, but only Audible, Promises Fulfilled, and Catholic Boy look like legit. stakes horses to me.

Shergar

Hi Shergar,
I wouldn't disagree with you as those 3 look to be best on paper. TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:57 am

Catholic Boy
Audible
Mississippi
Promises Fulfilled

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:37 pm

Audible
Catholic Boy
Strike Power
Storm Runner

skidmored
Newborn

Postby skidmored » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:58 pm

These are developing horses. At this time Audible, Strike Power, Catholic Boy, and Promises Fulfilled have shown stakes ability. Some will continue to develop; some won't or might be detoured to sprints (Strike Power) or the turf (Catholic Boy). Of the rest of the field Mott's horse seems to have the biggest upside and could surprise.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:16 pm

Hi Skidmored,
Welcome...nice to have you posting here. Hope we see a lot more from you...could use the new blood:>) I agree with you, Mott's horse is a wildcard in here for sure...I was between him and Storm Runner for the 4th spot...went with Storm Runner because I fell for Romans excuse in his last start:>) Hofburg must have shown Mott some serious ability, because jumping from a maiden win into a GR I, is something Mott has seldom (if ever) done in the past. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:54 pm

Here's the finish of the Florida Derby:
Audible...rated nicely off the suicidal pace of Strike Power and Promises Fulfilled...went the first 1/4 in 21.4? Won very easily!
Hofburg...ran a solid 2nd
Mississippi...3rd
Catholic Boy...4th

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:04 pm

I kept thinking There was a reason Hofburg was in this, but I chickened out.
The riders on the frontrunners did those horses a disservice.

Shergar
Starters Handicap

Postby Shergar » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:25 pm

Cree wrote:I kept thinking There was a reason Hofburg was in this, but I chickened out.
The riders on the frontrunners did those horses a disservice.

The acted as if it was a QH race. LOL

Regards,
Shergar

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Georgerz » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:31 pm

Hofburg looks like he would be at home at the Belmont Stakes. I see him getting even better as the distances get longer. jmho.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:09 am

Sometimes you're better off not giving the riders any instructions...certainly looked like the riders of Promises Fulfilled and Strike Power were told to make the lead at all cost. Both those riders are smarter than that...at least you would think so? When the smoke cleared they were last and next to last after dueling the first 1/4 in 21.4:>) It set up the race for closers to make their run...I was very impressed with the NY bred Audible who hadn't raced in a while, yet showed a new dimension in rating well (after being taken back from 3rd early) to next to last (JV sensing the fast pace), before making a 4 wide run that swept him to the lead around the turn. Billy Mott's Hofburg (a 1/2 brother to GR I winner Emollient), as Skidmore mentioned could surprise and almost did. Hofburg can certainly move forward off this race in the hands of hall of fame trainer Billy Mott. Watching him run yesterday, he reminded me quite a bit of Drosselmeyer and with the 40 points he earned toward the Derby, he will most likely run next in the Derby. Of note was Mississippi, who raced closest to the ridiculous pace and still held 3rd. The biggest disappointment was Catholic Boy who had no excuse not to pass Mississippi for 3rd. After every Derby prep we see yet another impressive 3YO from this crop...and we have yet to see what Justify has in store for us?? Just a super good generation of 3YO's this season....below find the link to the race. TJ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41j9t9H-tCQ