The GR I Santa Anita Derby

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

Re: The GR I Santa Anita Derby

Postby TJ » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:09 am

Cree wrote:Joltman - we aren't crazy.... Steve Haskin pretty much said the same thing about Justify in this week's Derby Dozen: http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/kentucky ... -farm.aspx

I do like that he put Vino Rosso on top, because somewhere in my brain, I thought he ran a pretty darn good Wood Memorial - I was just too busy pouting because I didn't have him on top!

Hi Cree,
You aren't the only one that thought Vino ran a good race. As the jocks play musical chairs trying to come up with their Derby mount...Johnny V also was impressed with the race, deciding to ride Vino in the Derby over Audible. Of note is Castellano, who bails on Bolt d'Oro to ride Audible. Espinoza will ride Bolt d'Oro. I wonder how adept they are in judging these 3YO's and what they take into consideration when evaluating their ability? I know many riders rely on their agents who are pretty savvy about who the better horse is and guide their riders to the best mount in their opinion. I was surprised to see Castellano go to Audible after Bolt ran such a good race in the SA Derby. That particular race was highly rated via brisnet figures, actually producing the highest brisnet speed rating in the history of Derby point prep races. That being said it came in the wake of Audible's 107 which previously set the bar. Bolt's 2nd place finish secured the 2nd best ever all time speed figure since Derby point races started at 110. After the top 3, came Vino at 102, Noble Indy 100 and Good Magic a 98. I would love to know why Castellano decided against Bolt...it seems if Justify regresses off this top effort, it could put Bolt in the drivers seat? Confusion once again reigns in putting all the Derby puzzle pieces together.
In any case, I've enjoyed this great derby prep season, one of the best I've ever seen and it's good and relevant to the last drop as both the preps today...the Arkansas Derby and Lexington Stakes will play a major roll in the Derby hopefuls quest in acquiring a piece of real estate under their hooves on Derby Day:>) I do hope when the smoke clears today, after the results are tallied and we see the final Derby field...that none of the top 20 drop out due to physical issues....21 days to go! TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Re: The GR I Santa Anita Derby

Postby Cree » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:02 am

Just a guess, but Audible is a Pletcher horse, and maybe he wants to stay in his good books???