The GR I Arkansas Derby

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

The GR I Arkansas Derby

Postby TJ » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:07 pm

The last two derby preps and the hits keep on coming. Another solid group of Derby contenders and the field swelled after Machismo and Quip passed the Blue Grass to come here. It's going to be a competitive race as a couple in here (who deserve a shot at the Derby) must get serious points not to be jumped over in the Derby standings by contenders in this race or the Lexington. TJ
11th Race. Post 6:18PM
The 82nd Running of THE ARKANSAS DERBY (Grade I)
Purse $1,000,000 Guaranteed 1 1/8 Miles for THREE YEAR OLDS.

1 BEAUTIFUL SHOT (L) '15 R 122 Eramia, R Calumet Farm Desormeaux, J
2 MACHISMO (L) '15 C 118 Spieth, S Loooch Racing Stables, Inc., Quartarolo, A., Ritchie,C.Quartarolo, A
3 TENFOLD (L) '15 C R41 118 Espinoza, V Winchell Thoroughbreds LLC Asmussen, S
4 DREAM BABY DREAM (L) '15 C 46 118 Contreras, L Dream Baby Dream Racing Stable Asmussen, S
5 SOLOMINI (L) '15 C - 118 Prat, F Zayat Stables, LLC, Magnier,Tabor, Michael Smith, DerrickBaffert, B
6 MAGNUM MOON (L) '15 C 54 122 Saez, L Low, Lawana L. and Robert E. Pletcher, T
7 PLAINSMAN () '15 C R41 118 McMahon, C Shortleaf Stable, Inc. VanMeter W
8 QUIP (L) '15 C 52 122 Geroux, F WinStar Farm LLC, China Horse Club Ltd.SF Racing LLC Brisset, R
9 COMBATANT (L) '15 C 0 118 Santana, Jr., R Winchell TB's LLC and Willis Horton RacingLLC Asmussen, S

Click on Solomini: http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/briswatc ... ummary.htm

TJ
Darley line

Re: The GR I Arkansas Derby

Postby TJ » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:18 pm

Magnum Moon
Quip
Solomini
Combatant

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:07 pm

Quip... they scratched out of the Blue Grass for this, so maybe they know something we don't!
Magnum Moon... he'll probably beat me.
Combatant
Solomini

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:48 pm

Here's the results of the Arkansas Derby:
Magnum Moon...an easy and very impressive winner by 5....another looking to overcome the curse of Apollo:>)
Quip...was 2nd.
Solomini...the pipsqueak was 3rd.
Combatant...was 4th, probably not quite enough for a spot in the Derby? But the top 3 are assured a berth, if they so desire.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:03 pm

Nice job TJ!
Solomini has not grown an inch.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:10 pm

Cree wrote:Nice job TJ!
Solomini has not grown an inch.

Hi Cree,
It was a guarantee when we both had the same 4:>) Actually not bad payoffs considering Magnum Moon won it. Solomini is a cute little guy...he reminds me of "The Little Engine That Could":>) TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:27 pm

He really does.
Any comments on the win? He’s mighty impressive, but drifted out (again). Green?

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:49 pm

Cree wrote:He really does.
Any comments on the win? He’s mighty impressive, but drifted out (again). Green?

Hi Cree,
Yes he was drifting...but I don't think he's green, I think he saw the starting gate in the infield and all the gate crew in red standing around and he kind of shied from it....though it was a long way away? Then again, just maybe he's so fast and strong that he multitasks and looks around as he runs, so he doesn't get bored beaten' up on the competition:>) But honestly he is a real nice horse...looking forward to see what kind of speed figure he gets out of this one. I wonder if they will try working him in blinkers in Kentucky before the Derby? Anyway....Just a great 3YO crop and always something to ponder after every one of these preps this season. What a super Derby this will be. TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:56 pm

He’s certainly a good-looking horse. Pletcher has 3 very nice colts in Magnum Moon, Vino Rosso and Audible (Noble Indy too, but not quite where those 3 are), but I think Moon is his best shot especially with his running style.
I agree these are a nice bunch, really looking forward to the Derby and the whole year.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:16 pm

Cree wrote:He’s certainly a good-looking horse. Pletcher has 3 very nice colts in Magnum Moon, Vino Rosso and Audible (Noble Indy too, but not quite where those 3 are), but I think Moon is his best shot especially with his running style.
I agree these are a nice bunch, really looking forward to the Derby and the whole year.

Hi Cree,
Yes he's real handsome...I also agree Magnum Moon could be his best, but kind of surprised his main riders didn't weasel their way into riding him. Makes me wonder why? I have one knock against him...an old friend (Danny Pietz) trained the Low's stock just about his entire career, but Pletcher ended up getting his hands on this one and quite a few more. Dan did train the Low's last Derby contender, Steppenwolfer who ran 3rd to Barbaro....but sure would have liked to see Danny get this one and another shot at the roses. TJ